MLS Kits, 2020

WarriorFight

Okay.

I really am into the J League, like an unreasonable amount considering my lack of knowledge about it truly. But that Yokohama kit was solid for me, and so is Seattle's.

BUT. I think the great thing about J League is that clubs have individual kit manufacturers, and so you get a huge amount of variation. I think the series of kits for 2019 from the J League may well be the best looking in terms of a whole league that personally I've seen. Almost every single kit was amazing, but especially Sanfrecce's home kit. And very few of them looked the *same*, which I think MLS can struggle with, especially with them using the three shoulder stripe throwback look on a lot of the kits this year. It should only be for teams who were "founding" clubs, rather than *all* teams.

But just to shout out JLeague, because I think consistently the kits there are among the best looking every year.

spacer.png

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

Another Photoshop of the potential Sounders shirt. I may be coming around on it...

See, I don't think the Zullily logo looks bad here. The collar and sleeves are tight, and I do actually think the white shoulder stripes serve the whole thing. Which I never would've thought would be the case, considering how bad the Zulily logo is.

spacer.png

Gah, so atrocious. I don’t think the sponsor logo is the problem.

I’m a Timbers fan, so take this at face value, but I’ve never seen a Sounders kit that i wouldn’t objectively consider unattractive. The colors are garish, and the intent to overcome that with weird sublimated patterns does it no favors. Just an eyesore.

I think their two colors, the rave green and the slate blue, could each work if paired with something else.  It’s the combination that is the problem.

Change the slate to navy, and it’s a top color scheme.  But two corrupt colors just look muddy together. 

Really? I've always liked the brightness of the Sounders colors. When everyone else went navy, the Sounders went royal and I've always appreciated that.

This is a fine uniform, IMO:

seattle-sounders-2016-home-kit-3.jpg

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

5 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Really? I've always liked the brightness of the Sounders colors. When everyone else went navy, the Sounders went royal and I've always appreciated that.

I hate the sounders  and have bad memories of that jersey. 

that said? It’s a wonderful jersey and I love the color combo. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

35 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

I hate the sounders  and have bad memories of that jersey. 

that said? It’s a wonderful jersey and I love the color combo. 

I hear you. I hate the Timbers for ever and ever...but I loved this set so much:

timbersred.jpg

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

That’s not royal.  Royal would also be a huge improvement over that slate blue.

Those two corrupt colors just don’t work for me in combination; the grayscale tone is too similar.  Brighten or darken either and it would be much improved. 

3 hours ago, DG_Now said:

I hear you. I hate the Timbers for ever and ever...but I loved this set so much:

timbersred.jpg

As classy as the last few kits have been, I would give anything for the timbers to re-adopt the Rose City theme for their secondaries. I have every single iteration and as someone that owns way too many kits, they are by far some of my favorites 

5 hours ago, DG_Now said:

This is the Frankenstein monster of sports uniforms. It looks like the blue arms of one jersey were ripped off and sewn onto some other team’s green jersey. They just don’t belong together.

20 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Another Photoshop of the potential Sounders shirt. I may be coming around on it...

It's growing on me too... White Adidas stripes look way better than the alternatives on the Sounders, IMO. The pattern is better than the felt-couch camo (kinda tidal, I guess?)

Optimistically, the shade of green looks like it could be slightly less muddy/yellow than the last one. Hopefully that remains the case in the sunlight. I just hate that some of my Sounders gear looks highlighter yellow in the sunlight.

Ideally, though, I wish we would switch to a darker green (kelly?) and either USL-era royal blue or NASL-era teal... The Timbers and Whitecaps look great in their long-standing colors and I wish my Sounders would do the same!

Apart from my teal and white dream for the Sounders, I do generally agree with everyone else who says that the blue and green are too oddly close, tonally. And at this point I feel like they have one of the more dated looks in the league, though it'll be hard to change.

I personally find the rave green to be kind of a repulsive color! It's not the bright neon green that they kind of imply it to be -- sometimes it looks quite bright and sometimes it looks like a dingy pea-soup olive color, depending on the lighting and the application. And yeah, the blue does it no favors. I wish they'd go with a brighter green, not the highlighter trim that Portland used to use, but something more like what the Seahawks do, and pair that with a nice dark navy color to ground the scheme. Even that apple green that Austin FC has now claimed might have worked. (I'm not opposed to a kelly scheme, either, just anything but the almost-bright-fatigues that they've got now.)

In what certainly goes down as one of the worst leaks ever, an image showing part of Atlanta’s new white and gold kit:

Looks like the pattern won’t be gray stripes like the FIFA leak as much as it will simply be a textured pattern. Should be a clean design and I’ll certainly be scooping one up.

1 minute ago, aawagner011 said:

In what certainly goes down as one of the worst leaks ever, an image showing part of Atlanta’s new white and gold kit:

Looks like the pattern won’t be gray stripes like the FIFA leak as much as it will simply be a textured pattern. Should be a clean design and I’ll certainly be scooping one up.

While that’s nice and dandy, I feel like if a team is to do a texture design on the jersey they should make it halfway visible. But it’s a good design overall.

Archived