MLS Kits, 2020

WarriorFight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

City Football Group is reportedly looking for a new shirt sponsor for Man City.  We expect a knock-on effect for NYCFC.  

Worth pointing out that CFG no longer gives its new clubs the same sponsor, so we don’t know that they’re looking to bundle NYCFC and Man City.  But there’s no way Etihad stays on New York’s shirts once they leave Manchester’s. 

I have long suspected that Etihad was paying below-market rate, given the ownership ties. If they’re looking to get more cash in lieu of brand synergy, that can only be good for New York. 

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

City Football Group is reportedly looking for a new shirt sponsor for Man City.  We expect a knock-on effect for NYCFC.  

Worth pointing out that CFG no longer gives its new clubs the same sponsor, so we don’t know that they’re looking to bundle NYCFC and Man City.  But there’s no way Etihad stays on New York’s shirts once they leave Manchester’s. 

I have long suspected that Etihad was paying below-market rate, given the ownership ties. If they’re looking to get more cash in lieu of brand synergy, that can only be good for New York. 

Are Etihad not also owned by the same people who own CFG?

spacer.png

1 hour ago, WarriorFight said:

Are Etihad not also owned by the same people who own CFG?

Not exactly, although they both are owned by different members of the House of Al Nahyan, the ruling family of Abu Dhabi.

Thats why I expect Etihad was paying under market rate for that shirt sponsorship; they were all promoting the United Arab Emirates. 

6 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Not exactly, although they both are owned by different members of the House of Al Nahyan, the ruling family of Abu Dhabi.

Thats why I expect Etihad was paying under market rate for that shirt sponsorship; they were all promoting the United Arab Emirates. 

Ah, I see. Well that was my presumption as well, was just murky on the specifics of their ownerships, fair play.

spacer.png

New MLS promo video shows the three-stripe treatment for all teams, or at least most.

Most promising part for me is the one team whose stripes are black-on-black.  Really hoping this is LAFC.  (There's another one later that could be either black and gold for LAFC or navy and gold for Philadelphia).

If i remember correctly, the Timbers this year are retaining their (gorgeous) green/gold main strip this year, which means they'd be releasing a new change kit this year. I didn't see any forest green among those teasers, but I did see a white shirt with red stripes. Is the Rose City red returning? 

Definitely some interesting stuff to be gleaned from that teaser video. First off, that video confirms the half and half design for Cincy, the polka dots for SKC, and the Russia away pattern for Columbus:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And then there was also this as one of the teasers near the end:

spacer.png

I’m guessing this is a teaser for San Jose’s new secondary, which could be somewhat of a Clash fauxback:

spacer.png

Edit- It looks like the teasers at the end are (at least roughly) in alphabetical order, which helps to determine who some of the teasers are for. The one above is almost certainly San Jose given the order of the teasers.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

6 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

If i remember correctly, the Timbers this year are retaining their (gorgeous) green/gold main strip this year, which means they'd be releasing a new change kit this year. I didn't see any forest green among those teasers, but I did see a white shirt with red stripes. Is the Rose City red returning? 

Nope, the white shirt with red stripes is for Toronto. The Timbers’ new secondary is white with gold Adidas stripes. Here’s the teaser from that video for the Timbers’ new shirt:

spacer.png

It’s not yet known if the new shirt will strictly be white/gold (I doubt it) or if it’ll have dark green accents (much more likely IMO). I’m guessing it’ll look something like this:

spacer.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

This seems to be the order of the teaser images at the end:

Cincinnati

Colorado
Columbus
Dallas
DCU
Houston
SKC
LAG
LAFC
Miami
Minnesota
Montreal
Nashville
New England
NYCFC
NYRB
Orlando
Philadelphia 
Portland
San Jose
Seattle
RSL
Toronto
Vancouver

Atlanta appears to be missing from the teasers, and so is Chicago.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

What intrigues me the most is the San Jose quasi-throwback. I mean... yellow and white halves aren't supposed to work, but it's just about the only one that makes sense in context of the 25th anniversary celebration.

I think Houston will use this pattern from early 2019 training gear... sigh, adidas: 

camiseta-adidas-argentina-prematch-prime 

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

Nope, the white shirt with red stripes is for Toronto. The Timbers’ new secondary is white with gold Adidas stripes. Here’s the teaser from that video for the Timbers’ new shirt:

spacer.png

It’s not yet known if the new shirt will strictly be white/gold (I doubt it) or if it’ll have dark green accents (much more likely IMO). I’m guessing it’ll look something like this:

spacer.png

I must've skipped past this because the gold on that screen grab looks more distinctly yellow to me. 

Nevertheless, I like the mockup you made. I'd be OK with that design. 

Archived