2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

3 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Honestly, I bet the biggest reason they went all in on the ad strategy is to minimize teams laying off their staff. Don’t forget, there are thousands of people who work back-of-house for NHL teams. These ads are likely helping a lot of people keep their jobs right now, and I’m not talking about the big shot jobs. I’m talking the administrative assistants, the designers, the social media teams, the photographers, the cleaning crews, the IT staff, etc. 

But Andrew, don't you know that billionaires have an endless pit of money and don't have to pay for everything that keeps the teams operating? 😛

The "greedy owners" narrative has never made sense since the teams in the NHL aren't public services, they're private companies. When has any company in the history of mankind not acted in the service of whatever makes it the most money? It's literally Buisness 101; maximize profit margins. If changing the helmet decals helps maximize the NHL's profit margins going into a US TV deal negotiation, then I'd rather the league's health over a minor aesthetic thing.

Because it kinda doesn't matter if the "uniforms are pure and untouched by greedy ads" when the league is taking financial blows from all sides.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Don’t forget, there are thousands of people who work back-of-house for NHL teams.

I always thought the line was that sports team staffs were small relative to the tax breaks they received, and that their status as "job creators" was vastly overblown.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

14 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I always thought the line was that sports team staffs were small relative to the tax breaks they received, and that their status as "job creators" was vastly overblown.

10-15 years ago before corporate social media took off? Probably. Today, not so much. Lots of small, individual staffs times 30 teams in a league times 5 or 6 leagues, plus hundreds of colleges and universities... It’s a pretty robust industry now (COVID-pending).

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

But Andrew, don't you know that billionaires have an endless pit of money and don't have to pay for everything that keeps the teams operating? 😛

The "greedy owners" narrative has never made sense since the teams in the NHL aren't public services, they're private companies. When has any company in the history of mankind not acted in the service of whatever makes it the most money? It's literally Buisness 101; maximize profit margins. If changing the helmet decals helps maximize the NHL's profit margins going into a US TV deal negotiation, then I'd rather the league's health over a minor aesthetic thing.

Because it kinda doesn't matter if the "uniforms are pure and untouched by greedy ads" when the league is taking financial blows from all sides.

It's really funny that you think the philosophy of "make money at all costs" is somehow not the definition of greed. Just because it became an institution and the philosophy has been adopted by 95% of the population doesn't mean the definition of greed has changed

If changing the helmet decals helps maximize the NHL's profit margins going into a US TV deal negotiation, then I'd rather the league's health over a minor aesthetic thing.

So you're in favor of uniform advertisements because it makes the owners and NHL execs more money? Lol well I'm glad you finally just came out and said it

1 hour ago, ManillaToad said:

It's really funny that you think the philosophy of "make money at all costs" is somehow not the definition of greed. Just because it became an institution and the philosophy has been adopted by 95% of the population doesn't mean the definition of greed has changed

So you're in favor of uniform advertisements because it makes the owners and NHL execs more money? Lol well I'm glad you finally just came out and said it

He's just repeating the same thing over and over again. He conveniently ignored the link I posted that says the league made over 5 billions USD profit in 2019. But of course, the league would have totally folded without those helmet ads, we just don't understand economics and how business is done cause we're dumb and caring is lame

42 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

He's just repeating the same thing over and over again. He conveniently ignored the link I posted that says the league made over 5 billions USD profit in 2019. But of course, the league would have totally folded without those helmet ads, we just don't understand economics and how business is done cause we're dumb and caring is lame

The league didn’t make $5B in profit. They  made $5B in revenue. If you don’t know the difference, you should probably stop posting. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

12 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The league didn’t make $5B in profit. They  made $5B in revenue. If you don’t know the difference, you should probably stop posting. 

My bad I posted a little too fast. Still, the point is operating income has increased steadily for the last two decades. Unsurprisingly, finding info on how much profit they make from merchandising and stuff like that is hard to find. I'm skeptical as too how much money they're actually losing

7 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Honestly, I bet the biggest reason they went all in on the ad strategy is to minimize teams laying off their staff. Don’t forget, there are thousands of people who work back-of-house for NHL teams. These ads are likely helping a lot of people keep their jobs right now, and I’m not talking about the big shot jobs. I’m talking the administrative assistants, the designers, the social media teams, the photographers, the cleaning crews, the IT staff, etc. 

until the big shots get a raise for coming up with the ad idea and these little people get laid off anyways

7 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

My bad I posted a little too fast. Still, the point is operating income has increased steadily for the last two decades. Unsurprisingly, finding info on how much profit they make from merchandising and stuff like that is hard to fun. I'm skeptical as too how much money they're actually losing

Here's a pretty good article that uses a lot of Forbes' metrics and estimations. 

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/hockey/nhl-players-are-paid-like-other-major-pro-athletes-and-ticket-sales-cover-those-wages/#:~:text=According to Statista%2C NHL gate,sales of merchandise and concessions.

Gameday revenue (sales, concessions, merchandise, parking) counts for 75% of NHL revenue, the highest % of the Big 4. The NHL is in the last year of TV deals that bring in the lowest amount of money of the Big 4. So with the league having no gameday revenue, and primarily relying on a piss-poor TV deal, I can see why they'd be trying to find temporary* solutions to cash flows. 

Now, with a new TV deal coming next year that should be substantially larger, especially with a new team, are owners in a long-term bind? Nah. Could they have liquidated assets to help pay for operating costs this year? Sure...and they probably have. But owners aren't going to say no to free money during abnormal seasons. If ads were truly what they wanted, and they are all just uncontrollably greedy bastards, then they would have puts ads on uniforms a long time ago. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

5 hours ago, dont care said:

until the big shots get a raise for coming up with the ad idea and these little people get laid off anyways

The little people come up with the ideas.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 1/6/2021 at 11:26 AM, CreamSoda said:

Instead of 18,000 fans going to TD gardens for every home game, 0 fans will.  That is a major hit to the naming rights they paid for.  This gets their name back in front of fans watching the game and people talking about the game.  

That is definitely true. But in the case of the Bruins, it's at center ice, on the boards, and even sometimes in the ad slots in the neutral zone.. and mentioned numerous times throughout the broadcast including live shots of Causeway St with the giant TD logo plastered on the building. $1 mil is a drop in the bucket to TD Bank so I guess my point is mute.

Just now, andycumbee19 said:

I would assume so as well, but if that was the case, why not put the Nords logo on there instead of the 3rd?

Alternate jersey as in the Mountain C logo, not the new reverse retro nords sweater.  The reverse retro nords will have burgundy pants.

4 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Alternate jersey as in the Mountain C logo, not the new reverse retro nords sweater.  The reverse retro nords will have burgundy pants.

I don't want the NHL to become like the NBA in the way they have too many uniforms but maybe a bit like in the NFL where they do a little mix and match with already existing elements for a completely different look, like when the Saints use gold pants instead of going all black. It could potentially be nice if teams started wearing alternate gear instead of alternate jerseys every once in a while. Like the Preds did with the yellow helmets at first. If I'm not mistaken, they were only worn on Saturdays in the first season of the new yellow jerseys. Maybe the Avs could break out the burgundy RR gear once a in while with the away jerseys especially. The possibilities are endless, maybe Dallas with green pants, helmets and gloves on Saturday nights. Tampa with black gear. Vegas already has two sets of gloves, maybe pairing the home gloves with the white jerseys for a more traditional look. Some of the Reverse Retro gear could work with regular uniforms, like Columbus in navy pants with their regular jerseys. Maybe I've been watching too much football lately but this could be cool as long as it's an occasional thing and no one starts using white pants for a Color Rush ripoff lol (ahem Dallas)

1 minute ago, NoE38_Concepts said:

Canes yet another team going with their arena sponsor as their helmet sponsor:

If helmet ads are completely necessary, this should be how they're done. 

Not bad, just a black or white single color logo.  No huge contrasting colors that go against team colors.

Is that canes logo new at the bottom too?  Nice way to keep the Canes branding on the helmet.

3 hours ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

I don't want the NHL to become like the NBA in the way they have too many uniforms but maybe a bit like in the NFL where they do a little mix and match with already existing elements for a completely different look, like when the Saints use gold pants instead of going all black. It could potentially be nice if teams started wearing alternate gear instead of alternate jerseys every once in a while. Like the Preds did with the yellow helmets at first. If I'm not mistaken, they were only worn on Saturdays in the first season of the new yellow jerseys. Maybe the Avs could break out the burgundy RR gear once a in while with the away jerseys especially. The possibilities are endless, maybe Dallas with green pants, helmets and gloves on Saturday nights. Tampa with black gear. Vegas already has two sets of gloves, maybe pairing the home gloves with the white jerseys for a more traditional look. Some of the Reverse Retro gear could work with regular uniforms, like Columbus in navy pants with their regular jerseys. Maybe I've been watching too much football lately but this could be cool as long as it's an occasional thing and no one starts using white pants for a Color Rush ripoff lol (ahem Dallas)

something we agree on at last.

Archived