Cleveland Browns Unveil New Uniforms

jimsimo

15 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

That's the classic Browns sleeve stripe, though. If you don't use that then you it's not "old school feel". 

I'd be open to the separated stripes on the brown jersey from the Kosar and the 99-05 years.

Browns-notebook-Couch-laments-one-that-g

as long as they don't do that ^ with the pants stripe. 

Ooh definitely not IMO. Agreed on the pants stripes but typically I dislike extra separation in stripes like that and it is inferior to what they had pre-2015. There was already plenty of orange, just throw in a pair of orange pants. I'd take a striped brown pant but don't need it and hate monochrome brown. I only accepted it with the color rush because that was the only option.

hi-res-4aef8b3b866e2f2b4469c09163655c9b_

152917089.jpg.0.jpg

5 hours ago, CLEstones said:

Last, putting some sort of matte or satin finish on the helmet, in my opinion, would be a great update.

Isn't the current finish satin?

vIS1kyz142qy3woPGlA6cU6Uvig97Sw6OXTCoQcv

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/8/2020 at 11:07 AM, CitizenTino said:

After years of threads being Cleve-jacked, one that’s actually about Cleveland gets Rand-sacked.

Nicely done. 

On topic: Any new Browns uniform that isn't one of these two is a complete failure. 

derekanderson.jpgDerek+Anderson+Cleveland+Browns+v+Jackso

340?cb=20120305140108Brian-Sipe-1981-Cleveland-Browns-8X10-Ph

BB52Big.jpg

14 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Nicely done. 

On topic: Any new Browns uniform that isn't one of these two is a complete failure. 

derekanderson.jpgDerek+Anderson+Cleveland+Browns+v+Jackso

340?cb=20120305140108Brian-Sipe-1981-Cleveland-Browns-8X10-Ph

The thing about this discussion that I've seen here and elsewhere on the world wide web that's driving me batty is it doesn't need to happen. Why are we even discussing this when all they need to do is reach back into the closet and pull out the old threads? And people are like "what if they put an interlocking CB on the sleeves?" NO F*** THAT. What if they just look like the Cleveland Browns?!?! Has anyone suggested that? That the Cleveland Browns wear Cleveland Browns uniforms? It's not complicated.

and it sounds like Flying J Haslam is going to over-complicate it because he's a doofus. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, -Akronite- said:

Agreed on the pants stripes but typically I dislike extra separation in stripes like that and it is inferior to what they had pre-2015. 

152917089.jpg.0.jpg

I never understood the orange/brown/orange pant stripe. Seems in the looking at the jersey and socks, it would be more consistent to do brown/orange/brown.

7 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

I never understood the orange/brown/orange pant stripe. Seems in the looking at the jersey and socks, it would be more consistent to do brown/orange/brown.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTvNbFjyi0SbIbGN6Nu1L

I always thought this and then they tried it and it didn't feel right to me. The orange-brown-orange stripe was never the problem, the problem was that they made them huge.

They need to be this thickness. The varying stripe weights across the uniform further contributes to the old school look. Making sure each stripe is a consistent thickness across the entire uniform is a modern concern. 

hqdefault.jpg

I also think an orange/brown/orange stripe on the pants helps balance the uniform with the orange helmet on top. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

27 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

I know what you mean. The brown on the outside of the sleeves stripes makes it feel like it's closed in by the dark color, whereas the OBO on the pants feels more open.

Either is consistent IMO as they are both patterns within the 5 stripe motif. Ultimately, I say stick with OBO because it's what Jim Brown wore and, to McCarthy's point, it just doesn't look right the other way.

Image result for jim brown

46 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTvNbFjyi0SbIbGN6Nu1L

I always thought this and then they tried it and it didn't feel right to me. The orange-brown-orange stripe was never the problem, the problem was that they made them huge.

They need to be this thickness. The varying stripe weights across the uniform further contributes to the old school look. Making sure each stripe is a consistent thickness across the entire uniform is a modern concern. 

hqdefault.jpg

I also think an orange/brown/orange stripe on the pants helps balance the uniform with the orange helmet on top. 

Ah, yes, that brown/orange/brown is too strong, bold, wide. I think it could work if they simply used the exact same stripe size as is on the jersey. Although, then do the helmet stripes stick out since they would be the thickest of the set? This is a tough one. 

3 hours ago, McCarthy said:

The thing about this discussion that I've seen here and elsewhere on the world wide web that's driving me batty is it doesn't need to happen. Why are we even discussing this when all they need to do is reach back into the closet and pull out the old threads? And people are like "what if they put an interlocking CB on the sleeves?" NO F*** THAT. What if they just look like the Cleveland Browns?!?! Has anyone suggested that? That the Cleveland Browns wear Cleveland Browns uniforms? It's not complicated.

and it sounds like Flying J Haslam is going to over-complicate it because he's a doofus. 

Not to mention, going back to one of the classic looks, no updates, no anything, is what the overwhelming majority of Browns fans want. It's this easy - make the Browns look like the Browns again. Simple as that. For the love of all things holy, please don't do another "respect the past, embrace the future" disaster. Seriously, has that philosophy ever worked outside of Buffalo? 

BB52Big.jpg

3 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

152917089.jpg.0.jpg

That's the good stuff. All those stripes in perfect harmony, no-nonsense black cleats, it's football, we love it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Encountered the same exact thing for a generation in San Diego. Overwhelmingly fans wanted a return to the throwbacks they wore at times in the 94 (?) season. When the Chargers finally changed their uniforms they did a half way "respect the past, look to the future" and that is what the team currently wears. 

1 minute ago, hawk36 said:

Encountered the same exact thing for a generation in San Diego. Overwhelmingly fans wanted a return to the throwbacks they wore at times in the 94 (?) season. When the Chargers finally changed their uniforms they did a half way "respect the past, look to the future" and that is what the team currently wears. 

At least the Spanos family has (kinda) come to their senses as far as making powder blue the primary. I really am not giving them any more credit than that though.

37 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

And the result was entirely average. Not awful, but nowhere near as good as any of the Chargers uniforms that preceded it. 

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

152917089.jpg.0.jpg

That's the good stuff. All those stripes in perfect harmony, no-nonsense black cleats, it's football, we love it.

Agreed in full.  I'd be okay if the Browns had no other uniform combination than this one. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The minutia and multitude of varieties of striping and expectation of each generation of Browns fans really puts the Browns in a can't win situation, which is very on brand.

I say that without malice, after all, I'm a Jets fan and just went through all this.

4 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

Ooh definitely not IMO. Agreed on the pants stripes but typically I dislike extra separation in stripes like that and it is inferior to what they had pre-2015. There was already plenty of orange, just throw in a pair of orange pants. I'd take a striped brown pant but don't need it and hate monochrome brown. I only accepted it with the color rush because that was the only option.

hi-res-4aef8b3b866e2f2b4469c09163655c9b_

152917089.jpg.0.jpg

The more I see these the more mad I am at the stupid browns management for even thinking about changing them. These were some of the best in the league. 

Is there any specific rule against bringing them back completely? And if there is, how closely can you replicate these or anything former uniforms when changing an identity?

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Unpopular opinion • the Brown's helmet needs to go in a different direction.  

Historicalish - White helmet w/ thick seal brown center stripe bordered by two burnt orange stripes with brown facemask.

drastically different -   Seal Brown helmet w/ thick burnt orange center stripe bordered by two white stripes with white facemask.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

11 minutes ago, Claystation360 said:

Historicalish - White helmet w/ thick seal brown center stripe bordered by two burnt orange stripes with brown facemask.

drastically different -   Seal Brown helmet w/ thick burnt orange center stripe bordered by two white stripes with white facemask.

There's an old saying in Cleveland (and likely elsewhere), I don't care if they're wearing garbage bags as long as they win.

Well this team doesn't win, so they better keep that :censored:ing helmet. It's all the franchise has left.

28 minutes ago, schlim said:

The minutia and multitude of varieties of striping and expectation of each generation of Browns fans really puts the Browns in a can't win situation, which is very on brand.

I say that without malice, after all, I'm a Jets fan and just went through all this.

Eh, I think the majority of fans would be fine with either returning to what we had or making a simplified version of the new set (aka ditch the modern crap and just use a three stripe pattern). You can't please everyone regardless of the situation, but they have two very easy and obvious solutions on the table IMO.

42 minutes ago, Claystation360 said:

There's a reason why that's an unpopular opinion.

5 hours ago, McCarthy said:

We are, unfortunately, in an era where people who helm design processes see "going backwards" as a bad thing, even if backwards is the best possible choice. Everything, even if it's meant to evoke a classic identity, has to be "upgraded," if for no other reason than to say it's not strictly going backwards. It's such a limiting, arbitrary mentality.

we may WANT them to go full throwback but CAN they? like would the NFL actually allow a full and direct replacement of the throwbacks we love for the browns? i highly doubt it unless for an alternate. their new stuff may be retro/throwback inspired, but they actually might not be able to make them direct copies

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

Archived