NFL Offseason Thread

BBTV

My favorite moments of the 2020 NFL draft:

- This:

- But also this:

As well as Andy Reid in Hawaiian shirts, Jerry Jones conducting his draft from his yacht and then wearing shorts on day three with a buttoned up shirt untucked and Roger Goddell just relaxing to the point he was wearing an actual T-shirt during his interview with Trey Wingo on Day Three.  

Also this from Cardinals Coach Kliff Kingsbury:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/24/2020 at 5:43 PM, GDAWG said:

When both of Joe's parents said that if the Bengals drafted him, he would play for them, Cowherd, Florio and Patrick did not believe them at all, which made zero sense.  The Bengals were active in free agency, showing Joe that they were serious in turning things around.  I think that those three made those assumptions based on his comments after the national championship.  

I think those 3 and some others used their own personal dislike for the Bengals and starting with “obviously he doesn’t really want to play for the Bengals” worked backwards from there. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

17 minutes ago, Sport said:

I think those 3 and some others used their own personal dislike for the Bengals and starting with “obviously he doesn’t really want to play for the Bengals” and then worked backwards from there. 

So, the classic "Instead of working a story out of sources regardless of if we want to write it or not, let's make sources out of the story we want to write". 

What a bunch of friggin hacks. Its almost as if not every quarterback is John Elway or Eli Manning. 

1. I thought this was one of the most fun drafts to watch in recent memory.  Probably the first "traveling" draft at the Phila Museum of Art was the last one that I thought came of this well.  Just like with working remotely, seeing coaches / GMs / colleagues as actual human people, rather than just resources or machines was great.  The Bellichic moment was amazing.  The commissioner, with his impossibly perfect fireside set up with leather chair, was actually entertaining too.  They hit it out of the park with this.

2.  The ESPN guys saying how this is great for the coaches' families because "from March on, their families don't see them, because they're at the office until late at night, or sleeping there so they can get a little more work done".  Mother F you, and mother F those coaches.  They're not goddam scientists.  What work are they doing?  Trying to figure out a way to isolate a TE on a LB?  Give me a break.  You tell fast kids where to run, and you tell fat kids who to hit.  It's certainly not a job that everyone in the world is qualified to do, but it's also not nearly the hardest job in the world, and certainly doesn't require more than the occasional late night watching film.  

If you're a coach that's sleeping in the office, then you're a lousy coach because you can't effectively delegate. You're also a lousy father, because you're neglecting your family, and no Tommy Bahama shirt and ESPN circle jerk can make up for what happens when you ignore your family so that you can figure out how to run the same shovel pass from 15 different formations.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, Red Comet said:

So, the classic "Instead of working a story out of sources regardless of if we want to write it or not, let's make sources out of the story we want to write". 

What a bunch of friggin hacks. Its almost as if not every quarterback is John Elway or Eli Manning. 

They will do the same thing in a year with Trevor Lawrence and Lions or Jaguars.  But if it's Patriots, they will say that Trevor will play for Bill Belichick.  If it's the Steelers, all three will say that Trevor will play for a world class organization with a great front office led by Kevin Colbert and a great coaching staff led by Mike Tomlin. 

4 hours ago, GDAWG said:

So when are the Bears going to announce that they will be running a 6 TE Offense?

Can't say, but it'll be sooner than them admitting that Trubisky was a mistake. 

Looking at NFL history 1933-onwards (as team movements became a lot more stabilized barring WWII from then on), Chicago is the Graveyard of Quarterbacks. When it took until Jay "What is Consistency?" Cutler to break team records set in the 1940s, you know you're snakebitten at that position.

On 4/26/2020 at 10:52 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

2.  The ESPN guys saying how this is great for the coaches' families because "from March on, their families don't see them, because they're at the office until late at night, or sleeping there so they can get a little more work done".  Mother F you, and mother F those coaches.  They're not goddam scientists.  What work are they doing?  Trying to figure out a way to isolate a TE on a LB?  Give me a break.  You tell fast kids where to run, and you tell fat kids who to hit.  It's certainly not a job that everyone in the world is qualified to do, but it's also not nearly the hardest job in the world, and certainly doesn't require more than the occasional late night watching film.  

If you're a coach that's sleeping in the office, then you're a lousy coach because you can't effectively delegate. You're also a lousy father, because you're neglecting your family, and no Tommy Bahama shirt and ESPN circle jerk can make up for what happens when you ignore your family so that you can figure out how to run the same shovel pass from 15 different formations.

Amen. I think they try to be like the sainted Bill Belichick, but what they don't (and aren't allowed to) talk about is that Belichick cheated on his way to success.

Also, some learn the concept of overwork from their father like the ex-Rams coach (Vermeil) did. His dad used to work in his garage constantly. When Vermeil was hired as HC of the Eagles in 76, Jim Murray (Eagle GM) was at their house, and offered Vermeil's father a ticket to a game. He refused because he said he had to work (man, can't you take one day off for crying out loud?).

On 4/25/2020 at 3:31 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I don't really get the Fromm pick for Buffalo. They can win now and would be better served by an experienced backup (Dalton?) than a rookie.

Unless they're keeping out of the conference/division, which, whatever, seems a little too cute by half.

Dalton would have required a trade.  Fromm is cheaper as well.

52 minutes ago, DnBronc said:

Amen. I think they try to be like the sainted Bill Belichick, but what they don't (and aren't allowed to) talk about is that Belichick cheated on his way to success.

Also, some learn the concept of overwork from their father like the ex-Rams coach (Vermeil) did. His dad used to work in his garage constantly. When Vermeil was hired as HC of the Eagles in 76, Jim Murray (Eagle GM) was at their house, and offered Vermeil's father a ticket to a game. He refused because he said he had to work (man, can't you take one day off for crying out loud?).

When Vermeil quit the Eagles, he actually cried, and said he was just burned out.  I was way too young to remember that, but from what I gather, he was living in the office, constantly trying to find the football equivalent of a theory that bridges quantum mechanics and general relativity.  Pretty sure by the time he came back and went with the Rams (the dumbass Eagles turned him down!), he was a different guy in that respect.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

When Vermeil quit the Eagles, he actually cried, and said he was just burned out.  I was way too young to remember that, but from what I gather, he was living in the office, constantly trying to find the football equivalent of a theory that bridges quantum mechanics and general relativity.  Pretty sure by the time he came back and went with the Rams (the dumbass Eagles turned him down!), he was a different guy in that respect.

Yeah, he did learn to delegate some when he came back, but he still was working the players way too hard the first two years (watch the 99 Rams America's Game episode where D'Marco Farr was talking about that. He was saying that they didn't have any energy for games their first two seasons under Vermeil).

Switching gears, though: Did Vermeil almost return to Philly in the mid-90's? Don't remember that. That is another "what if" for the Eagles in that time period (another is when they almost traded for Mark Brunell in 95. However, they couldn't agree on a contract, and the Jags came in and stole him).

8 minutes ago, DnBronc said:

Switching gears, though: Did Vermeil almost return to Philly in the mid-90's? Don't remember that. That is another "what if" for the Eagles in that time period (another is when they almost traded for Mark Brunell in 95. However, they couldn't agree on a contract, and the Jags came in and stole him).

The word "almost" is hard to confirm, since that implies that the team really considered it, but he was openly campaigning to come back.  It was going to be a package deal - him as HC, and Ron Jaworski as GM.  I'm not sure that either would have done it without the other, and to my knowledge, the Eagles never entertained it - at least the Jaworski part.  They both still live in the area and had common business interests and figured they'd just run the Eagles.

I'm pretty sure it was 1995.  Rich Kotite was fired after the '94 season, and they ended up hiring Ray Rhodes for '95... and then canned him just a few years later.

On 4/26/2020 at 10:52 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

I want so badly for a young hot coach to come along and be like "overworking yourselves is the new market efficiency. We work 9-5 and still kick your ass because we're well-rested and fresh on Sundays." That's who I'd hire if I owned an NFL team. Also, any coach who comes into the lockerroom with a shovel or an axe or some other dumb metaphor for doing your job gets fired. I thought that :censored: was stupid in high school football and even worse at the professional level. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

9 minutes ago, Sport said:

I want so badly for a young hot coach to come along and be like "overworking yourselves is the new market efficiency. We work 9-5 and still kick your ass because we're well-rested and fresh on Sundays." That's who I'd hire if I owned an NFL team. Also, any coach who comes into the lockerroom with a shovel or an axe or some other dumb metaphor for doing your job gets fired. I thought that :censored: was stupid in high school football and even worse at the professional level. 

I'm rooting for Kliff Kingsbury's success.

There's zero chance this guy is sleeping in his office:

EWVAOSrWoAAgnnY?format=jpg&name=small

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

NFC West should be quite entertaining this coming season with the Seahawks, Niners and vastly improved Cardinals. Rams about to be flushed. 

3 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

He also doesn't have a wife or kids.  It's basically a bachelor pad.  He is living the good life though.  

Archived