NFL Offseason Thread

BBTV

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, heavybass said:

also RIP the Don, there won't be another great coach like him again.... not even Bill can compare.

Disagree, Bill has surpassed all coaches other than maybe Lombardi in the past 20 years and 6 championships

9 hours ago, Red Comet said:

He took a team led by Mark Rypien and not only won the Super Bowl but beat the everliving stuffing of almost everyone on the way there (with their only losses being to the Cowboys and Eagles by a combined 5 points) to the point that the 1991 Washington Redskins are arguably one of the best teams of all time.

That was one season. The NFC East took turns doing that in the 1990's. Gibbs one 3 Super Bowls with 3 different teams and was in another Super Bowl as well, when Jack Squirek and Marcus Allen had big games and beat them silly. The NFL wasn't under a salary cap yet so it was easier to maintain team makeup during the 80's and early 90's.  It's almost an artform that Belicheck has been able to balance talent and budget. Having a QB that could put off larger payments because his wife's pay dwarfs his was a bonus. I think New England will end up second in the AFC East but they don't make the playoffs. That is, if Josh Allen limits his mistakes and doesn't hand New England the division again.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

56 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

You mean David Tyree. 

Without him, not only do they not have that first TD, but then that BS helmet catch doesn't happen. 

He's the reason they won that game. 

Eli had to get out of that tackle to even throw the ball. In this case it's because Eli and David Tyree show up on the biggest play of the game. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

19 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Eli had to get out of that tackle to even throw the ball. In this case it's because Eli and David Tyree show up on the biggest play of the game. 

I give Eli credit like I do Trent Dilfer.

He did enough & didn’t screw up, while his defense (and absurd play by Tyree & Manningham) won the games. 

20 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

I give Eli credit like I do Trent Dilfer.

He did enough & didn’t screw up, while his defense (and absurd play by Tyree & Manningham) won the games. 

i think he did more than just enough, on this play alone. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

All day Thursday I'll be working on piecing together the NFL schedule in advance of the primetime release. If you want, you can follow along at the following:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1r3gyZ6JnLwclxlyvBQ-wvZ59Jevby5QIUUO-KtX9zvU/edit#gid=0

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Bill went to 9 superbowls in 20 years with the pats and won 6 of those. Don Shula coached the dolphins for 26 seasons and went to 5 superbowls and won two. The patriots have gone to almost half of all the superbowls in his tenure so far and has a winning record in them. Bill is the Zeus of the NFL coaching Mount Olympus

57 minutes ago, Maroon&Gold said:

Bill went to 9 superbowls in 20 years with the pats and won 6 of those. Don Shula coached the dolphins for 26 seasons and went to 5 superbowls and won two. The patriots have gone to almost half of all the superbowls in his tenure so far and has a winning record in them. Bill is the Zeus of the NFL coaching Mount Olympus

There’s a lot of ways you could go with this 

Listen, the greatest professional sports dynasties in North America are the Patriots from 2000 to 2018, the Chicago Bulls from 1991-1998, and the New York Yankees from 1996-2000.

Those teams won multiple championships in modern eras with more complicated rules about team management and player movement than the 60s until the 80s.

The greatest coaches in North American sports are Bill Belichick and Phil Jackson. That's the list. Everyone else is competing for third through whatever place.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I always wondered how much of the success of the Bulls in the 90s should be credited to Jackson. I understand that he won some titles in LA too but both teams were pretty stacked. 

I'm honestly not trying to take too much of the credit away from him. He was a great coach of egos and that is certainly not easy to do.

None of the Patriots super bowl champion teams were ultra talented. Ironically, the most talented of all the teams that Belichick has had was probably the team that didn't win a super bowl. Belichick is by far and away the best coach in the past 30 years and probably ever.

4 minutes ago, JayMac said:

I always wondered how much of the success of the Bulls in the 90s should be credited to Jackson. I understand that he won some titles in LA too but both teams were pretty stacked. 

I'm honestly not trying to take too much of the credit away from him. He was a great coach of egos and that is certainly not easy to do.

None of the Patriots super bowl champion teams were ultra talented. Ironically, the most talented of all the teams that Belichick has had was probably the team that didn't win a super bowl. Belichick is by far and away the best coach in the past 30 years and probably ever.

Actually, those early-00's Laker teams really weren't stacked. They just had Shaq, Kobe, and a bunch of average players (Horry, Rick Fox, Fisher, etc...). They had more talent in 1998 and 1999 (they had Van Exel, Eddie Jones, Elden Campbell, and even Rodman for a stretch in 99), but they didn't get to the Finals because they didn't have Phil as HC.

2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Listen, the greatest professional sports dynasties in North America are the Patriots from 2000 to 2018, the Chicago Bulls from 1991-1998, and the New York Yankees from 1996-2000.

Those teams won multiple championships in modern eras with more complicated rules about team management and player movement than the 60s until the 80s.

The greatest coaches in North American sports are Bill Belichick and Phil Jackson. That's the list. Everyone else is competing for third through whatever place.

What complicated rules about team management and player movement did the Yankees have to deal with?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

19 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

What complicated rules about team management and player movement did the Yankees have to deal with?

There were 30 teams and they won 4 titles in 5 years. Winning a bunch of titles in modern times is harder than it was when the Yankees and Canadiens and Packers and Browns and Maple Leafs and Celtics loaded up on championships.

EDIT: I am not a sophisticated baseball analyst. Also, you might say the Warriors belong on this list but they don't because they lucked into signing Kevin Durant and an injured Kyrie + Love and I won't hear anything crosswise.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

There were 30 teams and they won 4 titles in 5 years. Winning a bunch of titles in modern times is harder than it was when the Yankees and Canadiens and Packers and Browns and Maple Leafs and Celtics loaded up on championships.

EDIT: I am not a sophisticated baseball analyst. Also, you might say the Warriors belong on this list but they don't because they lucked into signing Kevin Durant and an injured Kyrie + Love and I won't hear anything crosswise.

It's fair to say that it was easier for the Yankees because the money inequality was greater in 2000 than it was way back in the day, and they had the highest payroll and could add whoever they wanted.  There was 30 teams, but really?  Half of them didn't matter.  According to the internet, the Yankees payroll in 2000 was tops in the league at $96M.  In 1999, it was a league high $88M, which was $7M higher than #2.  In 1998, they were second at $65M... behind... wait for it... Baltimore at $72M.  How did that happen?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived