NFL Offseason Thread

BBTV

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

Yes. It shows extreme bias and clear cut favoritism. It could’ve easily been spread out through all 32 teams, but I guess that would be too easy for the NFL Scheduling Department.

The NFL is about ratings & most NFL fans want to see Brady vs Brees, Brady vs Rogers, Mahomes vs Jackson, etc... They have never made this a secret why would it change now. I am just an NFL fan & really do not have a favorite team (Green Bay Packers are the closest) but I love great QB matchups & just great teams going against each other. I do not want to see Jacksonville vs Buffalo in primetime.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, hugevolsfan said:

The NFL is about ratings & most NFL fans want to see Brady vs Brees, Brady vs Rogers, Mahomes vs Jackson, etc... They have never made this a secret why would it change now. I am just an NFL fan & really do not have a favorite team (Green Bay Packers are the closest) but I love great QB matchups & just great teams going against each other. I do not want to see Jacksonville vs Buffalo in primetime.

Buffalo has four prime time games this season 🙂

It's a huge change from seeing 16 10 a.m. starts.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Including the Buccaneers, EIGHT teams have a total of FIVE primetime games each.

TNF, SNF, & MNF scheduling is a joke and always has been.

Well you have to pick someone, and of course Fox and CBS get their say as well.  There could be some flexing in/out that happens late in season like usual.

Also take into consideration, if college football doesnt play this fall, you could see some of the Sunday game shift to Saturdays too.

Say what you want about the NFL, they need to be praised for giving us distractions at a time when there are no sports with free agency, the draft and the schedule release.  Whether or not any of the games played will actually happen is another matter.  

21 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I don't care whether it was New Orleans or not, but pass interference and personal fouls need a major reform, as they're called (or not called) completely arbitrarily and can completely change games and seasons.

Things happen so fast - how the hell can something with game changing consequences like PI not be reviewable?  I think it's absurd to just trust the referees to get it right on the field.  It's also absurd to expect them to fairly-review themselves, so there should be some other way of overturning the calls.  Same with personal fouls.  Guys get 15 yards when they don't even actually make contact with a QB, but a piece of walking feces like Clowney gets nothing for spearing a star QB in the head and knocking him out of a game?

They need Sky Judges who sit in the upstairs booth and watch from above and watch the TV angles. Their job is to overrule any flagrantly bad calls or missed calls like the one in the Rams-Saints NFC Championship game. 

21 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

As long as PI and PF go unchecked, I'll never drop my claim that the league weighs games toward one side or the other.  I think it's naive to believe anything else.

100%. At the very least they start letting stuff go for the trailing team if one team gets too far in front and I think this is why you see so many teams comeback from 3 possession deficits. Blowouts are bad entertainment. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Here's my preseason:

Week 1: Raiders @ Seahawks
Week 2: Rams @ Chargers

Week 3: Chargers @ Seahawks

Week 4: Rams @ Raiders

(dance) I know they don't mean nothing, but it'll be fun to watch.

Raiders are also hosting Arizona.  I guess my tweet worked!  That could be a new rivalry and a good crowd.

I also got three of my teams playing in Miami during the season.  I love that stadium.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

12 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Go make some money everybody:

EXbXKTlVcAEieo2?format=jpg&name=large

If I was a betting man, I'd make three bets here: under on Dallas, over on Houston, and under on Carolina. Not that I really understand how this works, but I know for a fact the Cowboys won't reach 10 wins.

the user formerly known as cdclt

On 5/8/2020 at 9:01 AM, DNAsports said:

Yes. It shows extreme bias and clear cut favoritism. It could’ve easily been spread out through all 32 teams, but I guess that would be too easy for the NFL Scheduling Department.

I'm not sure you understand how business works.  They want the teams that generate the most ratings and $.

Ain't nobody going out of their way to see Jacksonville vs Detroit.  The games are going to go to the teams that are projected to be good, have star players, and/or are from large markets with national fan bases that generate ratings above what a regional broadcast would get. 

Why does it bother you - or anyone - if some lousy team doesn't have any prime time games?  Just watch the games they do have.  Not sure why the time or broadcasters matter.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I'm not sure you understand how business works.  They want the teams that generate the most ratings and $.

Ain't nobody going out of their way to see Jacksonville vs Detroit.  The games are going to go to the teams that are projected to be good, have star players, and/or are from large markets with national fan bases that generate ratings above what a regional broadcast would get. 

Why does it bother you - or anyone - if some lousy team doesn't have any prime time games?  Just watch the games they do have.  Not sure why the time or broadcasters matter.

I do know how business works. I understand the monetary aspect of it.

Do you really think only 8 teams are worth watching repeatedly on TNF, SNF, & MNF?

If they took just one team, say... the Giants and told them “Hey, you’re entire upcoming season schedule is made completely up of Thursday, Sunday, and Monday Night games. No 1 PM EST or 4 PM EST games. Is it really worth watching at that point? To have a team hogging up the primetime spotlight meant to showcase the talents of other teams?

It’s just my opinion that I’d like to see the scheduling for the primetime games spread out evenly to all 32 teams instead of being bunched together to feature mostly just 1/4th of the league with a couple other teams sprinkled in.

But hey who am I to judge? “It’s good for business” I suppose.

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

I do know how business works. I understand the monetary aspect of it.

Do you really think only 8 teams are worth watching repeatedly on TNF, SNF, & MNF?

If they took just one team, say... the Giants and told them “Hey, you’re entire upcoming season schedule is made completely up of Thursday, Sunday, and Monday Night games. No 1 PM EST or 4 PM EST games. Is it really worth watching at that point? To have a team hogging up the primetime spotlight meant to showcase the talents of other teams?

It’s just my opinion that I’d like to see the scheduling for the primetime games spread out evenly to all 32 teams instead of being bunched together to feature mostly just 1/4th of the league with a couple other teams sprinkled in.

But hey who am I to judge? “It’s good for business” I suppose.

If anything, I think putting the best teams on primetime repeatedly is an incentive for teams that aren't so good to get good. 

After all, who wants to watch Browns-Bengals in primetime? Maybe in a few years? Sure, but not now. 

I do think that there will be an NFL season, but I don't know in what form.  And I mean that I don't know if it will open as planned and I would not be surprised if the season kicks off in October and if they play a full 16 game schedule, the weeks in September that they would have played normally would be moved to January.  

I do think that despite everything, the NFL deserves a lot of praise for providing a nice distraction with free agency and the draft.  The draft was super entertaining to watch outside of the Tom Rinaldi stuff.  And we had discussions on here about free agency for hours, especially after Tom Brady signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.  A week after all live sports shut down, the NFL comes back with free agency to give us something to talk about for a few hours. 

39 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Is there maybe some kind of medium between "all 32 teams, including the crappiest" and "same 5 or 6, over and over again"?

I dunno, around the late 90s when Thursday night games were late in the season and involved teams like the Tennessee Oilers and Cincinnati Bengals (which was a matchup on Thursday Night Football in 1997 IIRC)? You're not putting utter crap on screen but its giving the mid-tier of the NFL some exposure that they might not otherwise get. 

On 5/8/2020 at 4:45 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Go make some money everybody:

EXbXKTlVcAEieo2?format=jpg&name=large

I have..... Redskins, Panthers at 6-10, Giants at 7-9, Cowboys at 9-7, Browns at 9-7 and Dolphins at 6-10...

Bills are 10-6/11-5,Broncos at 6-10, Rams at 4-12 and Bears at 4-12

19 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

I dunno, around the late 90s when Thursday night games were late in the season and involved teams like the Tennessee Oilers and Cincinnati Bengals (which was a matchup on Thursday Night Football in 1997 IIRC)? You're not putting utter crap on screen but its giving the mid-tier of the NFL some exposure that they might not otherwise get. 

Yeah, that would be my plan.  I get that there are high profile teams that draw good ratings, and no one can expect to get the whole nation excited about Jacksonville playing Arizona. But rather than put two of the big names together every time (Packer vs. Cowboys, Patriots vs. Steelers), maybe use a divisional match-up with one team they know will bring the eyes and another team more mid-tier (Packers vs. Lions, Patriots vs. Dolphins).  That way they still get a nationally rated team, but spread out the field a little.

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Is there maybe some kind of medium between "all 32 teams, including the crappiest" and "same 5 or 6, over and over again"?

There really ought to be. Every year some team performs above expectations, but they're stuck with a string of 1 pm/10 am starts and they enter the playoffs on that blowoff Saturday game and no one cares. This is traditionally the Texans/Jaguars/Titans spot, but has recently been joined by the Bills.

Flexing schedules is challenging, but it seems like there really ought to be more ability to move games from even 1 pm/10 am to 4 pm/1pm throughout the season.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived