NFL Offseason Thread

BBTV

k. helpful as always.

f*** me for liking football and hoping to see a game this year if the situation allows. Trying to be optimistic and plan ahead but a question on a message board doesn't mean I'm rushing out to the first sporting event allowed.

can't believe I even thought about thinking about the NFL! Not sure why even thinking of life after quarantine is even a thought right now-my fault...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not sure he meant it like that but we better be thinking about life after quarantine or there will not be much of life to return to otherwise... This is going to be a hard road to come back from & if football & other sporting events do not get to come back in the fall many other sports may not make it back because they will not have the money too...  Not talking about the NFL in this instance either...

At this point, I wouldn't be making any sudden plans to reopen anything like it was pre-COVID but we should be talking about those plans now. If things suddenly get dicey again? Yeah, put things on hold but being stuck in our homes has clearly started to grate on a lot of people. Well, that and the whole economic collapse that is underway right now. That's not helping either.

4 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

At this point, I wouldn't be making any sudden plans to reopen anything like it was pre-COVID but we should be talking about those plans now. If things suddenly get dicey again? Yeah, put things on hold but being stuck in our homes has clearly started to grate on a lot of people. Well, that and the whole economic collapse that is underway right now. That's not helping either.

Apparently if the NFL plays its season without fans, the significant & dramatic loss of income could force the salary cap to drop anywhere from $30-80M. 

I'm not a business genius, but NFL teams and the league make so much money year over year. How can they be so dependent on gate when they have so many other revenue streams?

EDIT: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29175396/packers-385m-reserve-fund-help-cover-expenses-needed

The Packers announced they have a $385 reserve fund. I bet the other owners are kind of pissed they announced that.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

So uhh, how about those two geniuses DeAndre Baker (Giants) & Quinton Dunbar (Seahawks)? Got into an argument with someone at a house party, whipped out a gun, and proceeded to rob everyone there. Getting away with $7k in cash, along with $43k in other valuables. There’s also reports a third man was involved and that the whole thing was premeditated as getaway vehicles were seen pre positioned for “immediate departure” along the street.

The whole situation is funny to me honestly. Especially because of Dunbar. Shortly after Ron Rivera was hired as the coach of the Redskins, Dunbar (then a member of Washington) was quoted as saying the team “doesn’t know” him. Well bud, I guess the Seahawks don’t either.

14 hours ago, tjs11 said:

k. helpful as always.

f*** me for liking football and hoping to see a game this year if the situation allows. Trying to be optimistic and plan ahead but a question on a message board doesn't mean I'm rushing out to the first sporting event allowed.

can't believe I even thought about thinking about the NFL! Not sure why even thinking of life after quarantine is even a thought right now-my fault...

11 hours ago, tjs11 said:

"not sure why this is even a thought right now"  

without the attitude, completely agree with you. i dont know if the MLS can survive this! 

Overreaction? Let me try again.  I don't know why this would be a thought right now, considering teams have no idea what they're doing about tickets, how many people will be allowed in at any one time, how their tickets will even be distributed, where people will sit, etc.  Getting / using tickets is likely to be a lot different this year than in any previous one, so wait until teams have some kind of plan before worrying about it.  The cost is likely to be very high too, since the supply will likely be very limited.

Also, if you buy tickets second hand, you're screwed if there's another outbreak or for some reason they have to ban fans from the stadiums again.

Feel free to PM me (I won't read it) if this advice offends you for some reason.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

So uhh, how about those two geniuses DeAndre Baker (Giants) & Quinton Dunbar (Seahawks)? Got into an argument with someone at a house party, whipped out a gun, and proceeded to rob everyone there. Getting away with $7k in cash, along with $43k in other valuables. There’s also reports a third man was involved and that the whole thing was premeditated as getaway vehicles were seen pre positioned for “immediate departure” along the street.

The whole situation is funny to me honestly. Especially because of Dunbar. Shortly after Ron Rivera was hired as the coach of the Redskins, Dunbar (then a member of Washington) was quoted as saying the team “doesn’t know” him. Well bud, I guess the Seahawks don’t either.

Sounds like the want to join the Chiefs. 

But seriously, from what I heard, they lost like $70,000 on gambling, which is why they did it. 

Honestly IDK which is more stupid. 

9 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I'm not a business genius, but NFL teams and the league make so much money year over year. How can they be so dependent on gate when they have so many other revenue streams?

EDIT: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29175396/packers-385m-reserve-fund-help-cover-expenses-needed

The Packers announced they have a $385 reserve fund. I bet the other owners are kind of pissed they announced that.

Even MLB should be okay without gate revenue. If I recall correctly, the Astros' TV contract was over $1 billion a fee years ago. This was when they were losing 100+ games.

I'm sure the NFL would be fine for one year without ticket revenue. 

1 hour ago, JayMac said:

Even MLB should be okay without gate revenue. If I recall correctly, the Astros' TV contract was over $1 billion a fee years ago. This was when they were losing 100+ games.

I'm sure the NFL would be fine for one year without ticket revenue. 

MLB would have to share more revenue tho. While the Rangers, Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, and others have >$1B tv deals, I imagine there’s clubs that have relatively tiny ones, and do rely more on gate. Considering 81 home games, that’s not insignificant to some teams, even if it is to others. 

NFL is a whole different animal since they share equally in the TV money and that’s an astronomical figure. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

49ers host Raiders this preseason. I guess the moratorium on playing them after the brawls in 2011 is off since the Raiders are in Vegas and probably no fans this year.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

12 hours ago, DNAsports said:

What kind of exceptional individual do you have to be to blow millions of dollars in future earnings and potentially your freedom for $100k?

My understanding on the Baker & Dunbar thing is that the media did not report the full story... Not saying they are innocent but the police report had a lot more information than what I have seen reported... Evidently they were gambling & won over 100k from whoever at the party but said whoever did not want to pay up & according to Dunbar & 5 other guests at the party he left to get in the car then supposedly Baker took the peoples money by force to cover some of the debt that was owed... At least that is what Pat McAfee was reading from the report on his show... I heard this second hand however so not saying this is the full story but this has to be the funniest story ever... Ray Lewis was right in 2011 during the lockout when he said "they will be crime" if we do not have football...

10 hours ago, ninersdd said:

49ers host Raiders this preseason. I guess the moratorium on playing them after the brawls in 2011 is off since the Raiders are in Vegas and probably no fans this year.

If preseason games actually happen.

4 hours ago, Maroon&Gold said:

I did read somewhere that the California teams suspiciously had schedules that could be played in locales like Vegas, Dallas, and I think Arizona or Houston when the primary team is in the road or has Thursday/Monday games.

Of course saturdays could open up if colleges don’t play.

10 hours ago, TBGKon said:

I did read somewhere that the California teams suspiciously had schedules that could be played in locales like Vegas, Dallas, and I think Arizona or Houston when the primary team is in the road or has Thursday/Monday games.

Of course saturdays could open up if colleges don’t play.

If one of the California teams play in Dallas, it doesn't necessarily mean they will play in Jerry World.  There's the Cotton Bowl, SMU, TCU, North Texas and Globe Life Field, where the XFL Dallas Renegades played.  

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

If one of the California teams play in Dallas, it doesn't necessarily mean they will play in Jerry World.  There's the Cotton Bowl, SMU, TCU, North Texas and Globe Life Field, where the XFL Dallas Renegades played.  

True but the point in the article I read used the Cowboys and Rams schedules as comparisons.  A second venue would help

Archived