NFL Offseason Thread

BBTV

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/30/2020 at 8:48 PM, the admiral said:

Cam Newton probably deserved a better contract but he also probably shouldn't have stood around with his thumb up his ass instead of diving on the ball four years ago. The extent to which his blackness contributed to how that play has stained him for life is up for discussion but you know how this league thinks at the management level. 

I mean the conversation around Cam having to “conform” in New England is already gross. I don’t know exactly how much his blackness contributed, but the fact that the one play has erased all that he has done gives me an idea. Especially when the same mediocre QBs get phone calls year after year.

Reminds me of a bit from a Chris Rock stand up special. He was talking about how he had to be the very best in his field just to be able to comfortably live in the same neighborhood as a basic dentist that was white. Not a dentistry icon, just a dentist. Be it sports or anything else in this country, black people don’t really have the luxury to be mediocre and get opportunities despite that. I’m glad Cam has one opportunity to prove his worth, but damn is it typical that almost nobody wanted to even find out.

3 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Normally I don't care about the Hot Dog Eating contest, but the fact that there's one in the middle of a pandemic is totally stupid.  

Since the pandemic started, I've questioned every sport and competition coming back. Letting it go on might be debatable, but at least they took some measures to limit the gathering from going balls to the wall. The did their food eating contest as it goes, but there was lots of plexiglass and they seemed to have few spectators in whatever crowd they had.

Nathan's probably didn't want Covid to stop them from having their event that took place for so many years straight.

4 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Since the pandemic started, I've questioned every sport and competition coming back. Letting it go on might be debatable, but at least they took some measures to limit the gathering from going balls to the wall. The did their food eating contest as it goes, but there was lots of plexiglass and they seemed to have few spectators in whatever crowd they had.

Nathan's probably didn't want Covid to stop them from having their event that took place for so many years straight.

Well, I would argue running a hot dog eating contest is much safer than running a pro wrestling event. 

I saw, I came, I left.

25 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

Well, I would argue running a hot dog eating contest is much safer than running a pro wrestling event. 

You can't social distance yourself from your opponent in the ring, that's for sure. The major promotions still running have their safety protocol too, but yeah there's that risk.

By definition, a "guarantee mechanism" isn't a guarantee.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The guarantee mechanism means that after each season on the deal ends, the Chiefs have to either pay Mahomes what they owe for the next year or cut him. Barring some Cam Newton-level of decline, the Chiefs are going to pick that option up, so it's as close as you'll get to a guaranteed contract in the NFL right now. 

So... not a guarantee.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On paper, no, it isn't a guarantee. Roster size and volatile career lengths make true guaranteed contracts in the NFL a far riskier prospect than the NBA. But, considering the importance of Patrick Mahomes to the Chiefs's future, it is a de facto guaranteed contract (I don't see them rejecting to pay him for the forseeable future) and can be a prototype for a true guaranteed contract in the NFL. The man's contract was over 100 pages, so regardless of how this contract works out, it'll be the subject of a lot of thesis papers to come regarding the economics of pro sports. 

The best thing about Patrick Mahomes is that in 5-10 years, he's going to take the "Greatest QB of all-time" title away from Brady. And when Mahomes starts breaking all of his passing records, I'm sure Brady will probably be selling some kind of TB12 vitamin supplement that "cures skin cancer with electrolytes" and co-hosting a Podcast called "White QBs Matter" with Peyton Manning.

25 minutes ago, Tracy Jordan said:

The best thing about Patrick Mahomes is that in 5-10 years, he's going to take the "Greatest QB of all-time" title away from Brady. And when Mahomes starts breaking all of his passing records, I'm sure Brady will probably be selling some kind of TB12 vitamin supplement that "cures skin cancer with electrolytes" and co-hosting a Podcast called "White QBs Matter" with Peyton Manning.

I remember on ESPN once Bill Parcells said "let's see him hang a few in the gym before we start calling him the best ever."

He was talking about Michael Vick, who at the time seemed like a game-breaking talent. While Mahomes has that Super Bowl trophy over Vick, we've seen plenty of QBs who were the next big thing that were only a great thing for one year.

Mahomes is a good guy and I hope he wins a bunch of titles if only to step over Brady. But while I don't like the guy, I respect that Brady has six Super Bowl wins and no one else does.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

We'll see.  Some guys have a lot of trouble once they feel the pressure of living up to a monster contract.  We'll see what he's made of.

Doesn't help him that he has to overcome a lousy coach year after year.  IT worked out this year, but we'll see what the future brings.  It's also very likely that he'll have a new coach in a couple of years, so that could have an impact too.

Archived