2020 College Football

MJWalker45

On 8/14/2020 at 3:54 PM, sportsfan7 said:

Yeah, so do West Virginia and Iowa St, but my point was that the B1G is far and away a better wrasslin' conference

The B1G is better at most sports. 

But they're hellbent on screwing over their teams right now. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, pianoknight said:

The B1G is better at most sports. 

But they're hellbent on screwing over their teams right now. 

I think this is less about screwing over teams and more about making sure they don't get sued for accidental death or a permanent injury due to Covid. It's strange that the league apparently couldn't pull the trigger to stay on for fall or delay to spring. It makes me feel like Warren made the call for caution because of those folks being unwilling to say yea or nay. I also say this. The NCAA has decided that all fall sports except for FBS football have to be delayed or not held at all. Emmert could have pulled the plug on them too but he knows that the schools going ahead are doing it knowing they've lost money already and would lose even more waiting to play in January. That shouldn't be the driving motivation but it appears to be so. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

8 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

So any news on the lesser FBS conferences other than the MAC, who have already canceled?

They're all still planning to play. The independents other than BYU, Army and Notre Dame seem to be opting out. Liberty and NM State may still be waiting a final decision. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2016 was the year LSU fired Les Miles and Orgeron took over and I don't know where the accusations fall in that timeline, nor whether the accusations ever even made it to the football staff, so I don't know if it affects him, but for Orgeron's part, there is this...

The woman was dating an LSU football recruit at the time, though he was not present at the party. He redshirted with the LSU football team as a freshman, but steered clear of Guice. According to USA Today, the former LSU redshirt freshman claims head coach Ed Orgeron approached the player about a year after the alleged assault to tell him he shouldn’t be bothered by Guice sleeping with his girlfriend. The player claims Orgeron told him, “everybody’s girlfriend sleeps with other people.”

IUe6Hvh.png

7 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

They're all still planning to play. The independents other than BYU, Army and Notre Dame seem to be opting out. Liberty and NM State may still be waiting a final decision. 

Mountain West, New Mexico State, and Old Dominion have all canceled.

1 hour ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Southern University announced a 6-7 game schedule for Spring, a mini-season.  Could be a model for other teams so not to play so many games in one year.

It makes sense. They're all conference games at the moment (SWAC members can add one non-conference game to it. It'll be easy to find competition since many lower level programs will be playing in the spring)

The MEAC is also doing a 6 game schedule, but they're doing a division format for the first (and last) time.

North - Delaware State, Howard, Morgan State, Norfolk State (UMES and Coppin State don't have football)

South - Bethune Cookman, Florida A&M, North Carolina A&T, North Carolina Central, South Carolina State

7 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Trey Lance will get one game in the fall to showcase himself in front of NFL scouts:

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-potential-top-5-nfl-qb-gets-a-surprise-showcase-game-this-fall-174325173.html

Wackier to me, is Central Arkansas trying to make a go of this season. Their conference (Southland) canceled the fall season, but UCA decided to try and make an 11-game season regardless. With this addition, UCA is now at nine games, with only two at home. Those two home games being against Eastern Kentucky and Missouri State, who UCA play twice this season. Not sure if they're just desperate for money from buy games or what, but I'm just going to assume so because of all the other times that school (my current school) has had weird financial issues.

9 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

Wackier to me, is Central Arkansas trying to make a go of this season. Their conference (Southland) canceled the fall season, but UCA decided to try and make an 11-game season regardless. With this addition, UCA is now at nine games, with only two at home. Those two home games being against Eastern Kentucky and Missouri State, who UCA play twice this season. Not sure if they're just desperate for money from buy games or what, but I'm just going to assume so because of all the other times that school (my current school) has had weird financial issues.

Will they be playing league games in the spring too?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

25 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Will they be playing league games in the spring too?

They will not. Central Arkansas and Eastern Kentucky I know for sure are making schedules for fall only. I think some conferences are allowing for non-conference schedules in the fall, but not at the scale that UCA and EKU are pursuing. EKU has eight games for the fall right now. I want to say that Stephen F Austin is trying to do something similar, but it's so hard to keep up with all of this right now.

The conferences of those schools you mentioned @Red Wolf are allowed to play non-conference games while their conference games are postponed.

Most allow for four games, but in the cases of Central Arkansas and Eastern Kentucky (each with a 9 game and 8 game schedules respectively), it's kind of moot.

Lengthy side conversation about what's happening behind the scenes at Nebraska and the lawsuit of players' parents against the Big Ten.

https://forum.huskermax.com/threads/nebraska-parents-are-ready-to-unleash-on-the-big-ten-with-a-lawsuit-21-aug-2020.118634/

Note that the lawsuit is cleverly worded - it's not about suing to play football.  It's about the release of whatever black magic wizard documents that Kevin Warren mysteriously received to make his change his mind about canceling the season, just days after announcing a 10-game schedule.  When Warren reversed course, it was shrouded in all kinds of double talk about caring for the kids and some mythical Athletic Director / Presidents' vote that allegedly never occurred.  It was reported first as a 12-2 vote, then as an 8-6 vote and finally as "no vote ever having happened."  This of course, not including the hypocrisy of letting his own son play ball at Mississippi State.  There's strong speculation that Covid is a convenient cover for the Big Ten trying to quash any sort of Player's Union. 

The real goal here is to uncover the documents, which would likely expose Warren as having some kind of personal/political reason for suspending the season without giving so much as a vote to the 14 member schools of the Big Ten.  Of course a side effect of that process is that should it be determined that Warren pulled some hijinx, than there could likely be some kind of Big Ten season, and/or the floodgates opening on Player's Unions and NIL rulings.

Outkick The Coverage had a great take on this whole situation.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

4 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

The conferences of those schools you mentioned @Red Wolf are allowed to play non-conference games while their conference games are postponed.

Most allow for four games, but in the cases of Central Arkansas and Eastern Kentucky (each with a 9 game and 8 game schedules respectively), it's kind of moot.

Yeah, somebody told me it was four games that were allowed and then UCA's schedule just kept ballooning.

1 hour ago, pianoknight said:

Lengthy side conversation about what's happening behind the scenes at Nebraska and the lawsuit of players' parents against the Big Ten.

https://forum.huskermax.com/threads/nebraska-parents-are-ready-to-unleash-on-the-big-ten-with-a-lawsuit-21-aug-2020.118634/

Note that the lawsuit is cleverly worded - it's not about suing to play football.  It's about the release of whatever black magic wizard documents that Kevin Warren mysteriously received to make his change his mind about canceling the season, just days after announcing a 10-game schedule.  When Warren reversed course, it was shrouded in all kinds of double talk about caring for the kids and some mythical Athletic Director / Presidents' vote that allegedly never occurred.  It was reported first as a 12-2 vote, then as an 8-6 vote and finally as "no vote ever having happened."  This of course, not including the hypocrisy of letting his own son play ball at Mississippi State.  There's strong speculation that Covid is a convenient cover for the Big Ten trying to quash any sort of Player's Union. 

The real goal here is to uncover the documents, which would likely expose Warren as having some kind of personal/political reason for suspending the season without giving so much as a vote to the 14 member schools of the Big Ten.  Of course a side effect of that process is that should it be determined that Warren pulled some hijinx, than there could likely be some kind of Big Ten season, and/or the floodgates opening on Player's Unions and NIL rulings.

Outkick The Coverage had a great take on this whole situation.

I'm okay that I won't be watching any Penn State football this fall but this whole "process" has been fishy.

3 hours ago, JayMac said:

I'm okay that I won't be watching any Penn State football this fall but this whole "process" has been fishy.

Yeah, I'm okay not watching football if that's what ultimately has to happen, but Warren is in WAY over his head. Following Jim Delaney would be a hard act without a global pandemic, but Warren seems bent on bungling this thing six ways from Sunday. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

The B1G Mess continues to spiral.  Warren has had Nebraska Governor Pete Ricketts and President Trump criticizing his decision.  I don't mean to take the thread in a political direction, so please, let's keep the Trump/election stuff out of it as much as possible.  Regardless, though, when you have a sitting governor and the President of the US talking about how you screwed up it's probably not a great look.  

• Ricketts: “I think the Big Ten has taken a bad approach with regard to this and I would certainly encourage the Big Ten to reexamine what they’re doing because they’re penalizing a lot of folks here.”
  • Trump: “Disgraceful that Big Ten is not playing football. Let them PLAY! ... I want Big Ten, and all other football, back - NOW..."

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2020/08/president-trump-calls-on-big-ten-to-reverse-disgraceful-football-season-cancellation.html

https://omaha.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/ricketts-says-big-ten-made-a-mistake-with-decision-to-postpone-fall-sports/article_f461fec3-3c0f-51bc-83fd-3b2bfcb74434.html

I've seen some napkin-math estimates that figure NU stands to lose something like $100m in revenue, plus maybe 3-4x that in lost revenue for the surrounding businesses in Lincoln and Omaha that thrive off college game day environments.  You gotta figure if Nebraska is collectively losing a half billion dollars or so, that Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania and others are at that mark or higher.  Actually, Michigan, Illinois and Indiana probably get hit a little bit more since they each have two schools in the B1G.  It's not insurmountable to think that there's probably $7-10b at stake across the Big Ten footprint by NOT playing college football.

UyDgMWP.jpg

8 hours ago, pianoknight said:

The B1G Mess continues to spiral.  Warren has had Nebraska Governor Pete Ricketts and President Trump criticizing his decision.  I don't mean to take the thread in a political direction, so please, let's keep the Trump/election stuff out of it as much as possible.  Regardless, though, when you have a sitting governor and the President of the US talking about how you screwed up it's probably not a great look.  

• Ricketts: “I think the Big Ten has taken a bad approach with regard to this and I would certainly encourage the Big Ten to reexamine what they’re doing because they’re penalizing a lot of folks here.”
  • Trump: “Disgraceful that Big Ten is not playing football. Let them PLAY! ... I want Big Ten, and all other football, back - NOW..."

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2020/08/president-trump-calls-on-big-ten-to-reverse-disgraceful-football-season-cancellation.html

https://omaha.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/ricketts-says-big-ten-made-a-mistake-with-decision-to-postpone-fall-sports/article_f461fec3-3c0f-51bc-83fd-3b2bfcb74434.html

I've seen some napkin-math estimates that figure NU stands to lose something like $100m in revenue, plus maybe 3-4x that in lost revenue for the surrounding businesses in Lincoln and Omaha that thrive off college game day environments.  You gotta figure if Nebraska is collectively losing a half billion dollars or so, that Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania and others are at that mark or higher.  Actually, Michigan, Illinois and Indiana probably get hit a little bit more since they each have two schools in the B1G.  It's not insurmountable to think that there's probably $7-10b at stake across the Big Ten footprint by NOT playing college football.

Which means COVID is that flippin' dangerous. (Although $7-10 billion is kind of small change if you look at the overall economy of the Great Lakes states)

Anyway, the 3 B1G schools that voted to still play football are (not coincidentally) the three schools whose coaches are the most secure in their jobs and immune from oversight.  (Scott Frost can count on being Nebraska's last, best, and only hope to return to football greatness to secure his position, no matter if he loses to Indiana in Lincoln after demanding to play them more often because they're an easy out, Kirk Ferentz somehow escaped scott free this summer despite a whole lot of evidence that Iowa football is a really flippin' toxic place to be if you aren't white and seriously Ferentz probably played a bigger role in that than Iowa let on, and Ryan Day combines historical lax oversight with an undefeated conference championship season in his first year.  The takeaway is it's probably a good idea to think about reminding your football coaches where they are on the reporting charts and not treat them as tin gods.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived