2020 College Football

MJWalker45

Holy :censored:.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29892180/lsu-coach-ed-orgeron-most-team-contracted-coronavirus

LSU football coach Ed Orgeron said Tuesday that most of his team has contracted COVID-19.

"Not all of our players, but most of our players have caught it," Orgeron told reporters. "I think that hopefully they won't catch it again, and hopefully they're not out for games."

Asked later for further clarification, Orgeron said he didn't know the exact percentage of players who have had the coronavirus.

"Hopefully that once you catch it, you don't get it again," he said. "I'm not a doctor. I think they have that 90-day window, so most of the players that have caught it, we do feel like they'll be eligible for games."

Per SEC protocols, players who have contracted COVID-19 don't have to be tested again for 90 days.

LSU, like many programs in the SEC and nationally, has not provided regular reports on the number of players who have contracted the novel coronavirus.

Two weeks ago, Orgeron said all but two or three offensive linemen missed practice because of testing.

"You have to make adjustments," he said.

Orgeron's comments come on the heels of Texas Tech self-reporting five more cases of COVID-19 on Monday, bringing the team's total number of positive cases to 75 since players returned to campus in June.

Some of these guys may never be fully healthy again.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, pianoknight said:

NU President Ted Carter was caught on a hot mic saying that a Big Ten announcement would come tonight.

Hot take - this wasn't an accident.  As vocal as Nebraska has been about wanting to play, this is absolutely a moment of thunder-stealing on behalf of NU to the Big Ten.  Kevin Warren has fallen all over himself sideways and backwards to try and block a football season, and now that it appears imminent, I highly suspect this was Carter dropping some social gamesmanship to remind Warren that the commissioner of the league serves at the pleasure of the constituent members, not the other way around.

https://www.ketv.com/article/heard-on-hot-mic-university-of-nebraska-president-says-big-ten-announcement-comes-tonight/34027172?fbclid=IwAR2_vWOSOiV9RjZfzIt5sQ5RUu00H2BFSEhA7ow69QZzbBClCVKapnVOKvU#

Additionally, according to some beat writers in Michigan, it appears that the conference might move ahead with a schedule that does not include UM/MSU.  I won't get political here, but obviously there's a lot swirling around Michigan and Governor Whitmer's executive orders.  Seems like the B1G may have contingency plans for the inclusion/exclusion of the Wolverines and Sparty, depending on what shakes out politically in the Mitten State.

https://www.radio.com/971theticket/sports/university-of-michigan/big-ten-expected-to-proceed-without-michigan-michigan-state

Or Nebraska's President knows he doesn't have the votes but figures there are enough waverers that if he presents a fait accompli that he might still carry the day.  This is probably the Hail Mary throw though, especially since this could harden resistance in light of the absolute :censored:show campus reopening has become and how utterly wasteful it is to develop a rapid testing and tracking system just for football and only for football at a large public higher ed institution. Also because The B1G Presidents look like a group that would prefer to settle things collegially and by consensus and compromise like proper academics and might get a little prickly if you try to force them to do something.

(Speaking as an employee of a large public land grant btw, I'd be absolutely furious if you took this limited capability and turned it to football instead of your frontline faculty and staff.  Like no rest until the administration was gone furious.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

17 hours ago, pianoknight said:

NU President Ted Carter was caught on a hot mic saying that a Big Ten announcement would come tonight.

Hot take - this wasn't an accident.  As vocal as Nebraska has been about wanting to play, this is absolutely a moment of thunder-stealing on behalf of NU to the Big Ten.  Kevin Warren has fallen all over himself sideways and backwards to try and block a football season, and now that it appears imminent, I highly suspect this was Carter dropping some social gamesmanship to remind Warren that the commissioner of the league serves at the pleasure of the constituent members, not the other way around.

https://www.ketv.com/article/heard-on-hot-mic-university-of-nebraska-president-says-big-ten-announcement-comes-tonight/34027172?fbclid=IwAR2_vWOSOiV9RjZfzIt5sQ5RUu00H2BFSEhA7ow69QZzbBClCVKapnVOKvU#

Additionally, according to some beat writers in Michigan, it appears that the conference might move ahead with a schedule that does not include UM/MSU.  I won't get political here, but obviously there's a lot swirling around Michigan and Governor Whitmer's executive orders.  Seems like the B1G may have contingency plans for the inclusion/exclusion of the Wolverines and Sparty, depending on what shakes out politically in the Mitten State.

https://www.radio.com/971theticket/sports/university-of-michigan/big-ten-expected-to-proceed-without-michigan-michigan-state

Governor Whitmer isn't going to be the reason Michigan and Michigan State don't play football this season, the beat writers are either morons or have an agenda and want to make her the scapegoat. Governor Whitmer ok'ed high school sports a few weeks ago and football games start this Friday, so why would she block Michigan and Michigan State football who'll be able to take way more precautions than high school teams. Like the second article stated the reason UM and MSU will opt out of playing is due to their school presidents having medical backgrounds who understand the risks of playing compared to the presidents who don't or have villagers with pitchforks at their door.

12 hours ago, rams80 said:

Or Nebraska's President knows he doesn't have the votes but figures there are enough waverers that if he presents a fait accompli that he might still carry the day.  This is probably the Hail Mary throw though, especially since this could harden resistance in light of the absolute :censored:show campus reopening has become and how utterly wasteful it is to develop a rapid testing and tracking system just for football and only for football at a large public higher ed institution. Also because The B1G Presidents look like a group that would prefer to settle things collegially and by consensus and compromise like proper academics and might get a little prickly if you try to force them to do something.

(Speaking as an employee of a large public land grant btw, I'd be absolutely furious if you took this limited capability and turned it to football instead of your frontline faculty and staff.  Like no rest until the administration was gone furious.)

My son is a freshman at Maryland, so I have been following the football and general campus reopening issues pretty closely.  I think Maryland has been doing a pretty good job overall, although there have been some blips.  I would love to see football this season, even without fans (though that would negate the convenience of my son living across the street from the stadium).  However, I agree that it is an example of significantly misplaced priorities to devote so many resources to COVID prevention on football teams when the faculty, staff and rest of the student body also deserve the best resources available.

"Not all of our players, but most of our players have caught it," Orgeron told reporters. "I think that hopefully they won't catch it again, and hopefully they're not out for games."

"Hopefully that once you catch it, you don't get it again," he said. "I'm not a doctor. I think they have that 90-day window, so most of the players that have caught it, we do feel like they'll be eligible for games."

As for Ed Orgeron and LSU . . . thank goodness they will be eligible!  🙃  I don't know if he addressed the health of the players and just wasn't quoted in the article, but it seems telling that he focuses twice on the players' eligibility without mentioning their health.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Rumors saying the B1G will have an 8-game schedule, with a conference title game.  That's not terrible, given how long they've dragged their feet on this.  It's basically a game short from a typical, 9-game conference slate -- meaning that you lose one of the cross-divisional games -- and of course non-cons are gone.

So, 8 conference games and zero opposition from non-conference teams.  That could probably work...cough SEC every year... cough...

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

1 hour ago, CS85 said:

If Maryland wants to make daily rapid testing available for my son, I'm cool with that.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

3 minutes ago, JayMac said:

Is your son on the football team?

No.  He's 5'11' and about 140 lbs. and isn't a kicker.

My point was more along the line of they should make the tests available for everyone if they're making them available for the football players.

1 minute ago, leopard88 said:

No.  He's 5'11' and about 140 lbs. and isn't a kicker.

My point was more along the line of they should make the tests available for everyone if they're making them available for the football players.

Thats what I thought but I wasn't sure. That was around my freshman height and weight so I had no football aspirations either.

I agree with your statement. If I were a current student at Penn State, I'd hope for the same.

54 minutes ago, JayMac said:

Thats what I thought but I wasn't sure. That was around my freshman height and weight so I had no football aspirations either.

He's built like his old man circa 1985.  I have about 45 lbs. on him now.

Glad to see the Big Ten returning the play.. My only issue is this: Can the teams there were highly ranked at the start of the season and then left off the polls make up the ground needed in 8 weeks to reach the Playoff?

8 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

Glad to see the Big Ten returning the play.. My only issue is this: Can the teams there were highly ranked at the start of the season and then left off the polls make up the ground needed in 8 weeks to reach the Playoff?

If it's the likes of Ohio State and Michigan they'll easily shoot back up.

29 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

My guess is that the AP poll will have the B1G teams ranked around where they were a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure the CFP committee will take that into consideration. 

Rough day at the office for everyone who pretends the Big Ten has some sort of moral high ground over everyone else, but if Penn State and Michigan State couldn't stop you, why stop now?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Rough day at the office for everyone who pretends the Big Ten has some sort of moral high ground over everyone else, but if Penn State and Michigan State couldn't stop you, why stop now?

I think that went out the window when the presidents refused to back up the commissioner. When it's a month later and you still can't decide if you actually voted, even after voting numbers were supposedly leaked, stop pretending it's about the students. And on the other hand, if you're going to go after reporters and commissioners and say the NCAA owes it to the players to play, don't say it's about the students either. It's about you needing football to be played so things feel more normal. Cross country and volleyball weren't getting people up in arms like this.

35 minutes ago, DScruggy729 said:

Ugh. What a :censored:show. 

Agreed. I almost wanted to see what would happen if they voted no again. But it seems the worst has hit the Big Ten campuses, hopefully, and with most of the schools limiting in person class sizes and keeping people off campus they can keep the spread down from outside of the programs as well as inside the programs. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

College football is big money both in input and output and people don't like spending money where nothing is happening. Simple as that. 

You want to talk about how people shouldn't emphasize money over people, go join the chorus of those saying that for hundreds or thousands of years. Says it in the Bible too (i.e. A camel has a better chance of going through the eye of a needle than a rich man does going to Heaven), so knowing that, its how its always been and how it'll always be no matter what system you choose.

Archived