2020 College Football

MJWalker45

6 hours ago, rams80 said:

Which means COVID is that flippin' dangerous. (Although $7-10 billion is kind of small change if you look at the overall economy of the Great Lakes states)

Anyway, the 3 B1G schools that voted to still play football are (not coincidentally) the three schools whose coaches are the most secure in their jobs and immune from oversight. 

And Iowa, the Dakota's and Minnesota have just seen a massive uptick in cases in the last two weeks. We've also seen players opting out again, especially at LSU where they are down to 4 healthy offensive lineman with the rest quarantined for COVID, or injured. Another coach has said two of his specialized units are affected by COVID as well. 

https://www.si.com/college/lsu/football/lsu-adjust-o-line-being-out

https://thespun.com/college-football/lsu-football-brutally-honest-reaction-covid-19-shield

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trump has now had a "very productive" conversation with Kevin Warren about restarting Big Ten football. 

Again, not trying to be political here, BUT, the reality is that Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin are typically swing states in elections.  Hard to deny that this is a decent political strategy by Trump since it infuses a bunch of money back into their local economies and we all know that the Rust Belt is pretty passionate about football. Further, there's a linked Biden ad in the article where his camp is pointing to Trump's mismanagement of coronavirus as the reason for football shutting down.

Either way you slice it, both sides are going to try and claim the resumption of football as a moral victory. 

https://omaha.com/sports/huskers/football/trump-touts-very-productive-chat-with-big-ten-commissioner-kevin-warren-on-playing-fall-football/article_3915ea4b-15aa-5c20-8264-71e9d43eaef1.html

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Is this according to Trump himself? Because if so that quote could mean anything, or absolutely nothing at all 

Per Trump.  Every other source indicates that it was about as productive as a typical Rutgers football season.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

12 hours ago, rams80 said:

Per Trump.  Every other source indicates that it was about as productive as a typical Rutgers football season.

Yes, this tweet seemed like Schiano or <insert your nameless Rutgers coach here> talking to the sideline reporter at halftime about his team's hustle after being down by 5 TDs.

The season is underway now and I have a thought for the four conferences holding spring seasons..

A 10 game schedule for them. 8 conference games for the MAC and the Mountain West; 9 for the Big Ten and PAC-12. This means two non-conference games for the two Group of 5 leagues and 1 for the Power 5 leagues. With the lower level leagues in the FCS going to play in the spring, the chances for getting games would be easy to get, especially for the Group of 5 leagues.

Bowl games that have both teams from either conferences playing in the spring are played in the spring. This means the following bowl games are pushed back to the spring: Alamo, Arizona, Holiday, Idaho Potato, LA, Quick Lane, and a second Rose Bowl game. Games with one of these potential teams can either play in the fall with a replacement team (which most bowl games do have options for) or wait for the spring.

31 minutes ago, dont care said:

I’m thinking there will be no bowl games this year

The playoff is still going to happen, so there will be a Rose Bowl, an Orange Bowl and the Championship Game in Miami.

41 minutes ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

Where are the Week 1 AP Rankings? I can't find answer as to why they were not released today, as scheduled. 

The answer is simple: none of the ranked teams in the Big 12, SEC and ACC played.  

9 hours ago, GDAWG said:

The answer is simple: none of the ranked teams in the Big 12, SEC and ACC played.  

But should't we have rankings where the Big Ten, Pac-12, Mountain West, and MAC teams drop and we move up some others?

The AP rankings are pointless, but I'd at least appreciate an explanation from the AP as to why they chose not release any rankings.

On 9/1/2020 at 9:27 AM, MJWalker45 said:

And Iowa, the Dakota's and Minnesota have just seen a massive uptick in cases in the last two weeks. We've also seen players opting out again, especially at LSU where they are down to 4 healthy offensive lineman with the rest quarantined for COVID, or injured. Another coach has said two of his specialized units are affected by COVID as well. 

https://www.si.com/college/lsu/football/lsu-adjust-o-line-being-out

https://thespun.com/college-football/lsu-football-brutally-honest-reaction-covid-19-shield

Yeah the Dakota's are feeling the effects of those idiot bikers.  Not surprising considering there's no real leadership there.  There's also outbreaks at tons of schools, including Penn State.  An 18-year-old brain (roughly equal to a 12-year-old brain in the SEC states) is not formed enough to understand the severity of this situation and 'do the right thing' - and to be fair, it's hard for an 18-year old to not party and try to get laid.  UF may need to close... but FOOTBALL!!!

It's not possible to have the 'student' athletes live in a bubble, and college campuses are simply not safe.  It's sickening how many people actively root for this virus to spread.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 hours ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

But should't we have rankings where the Big Ten, Pac-12, Mountain West, and MAC teams drop and we move up some others?

The AP rankings are pointless, but I'd at least appreciate an explanation from the AP as to why they chose not release any rankings.

While you're at it, can you ask Captain Smith why the deck chairs aren't being moved for tomorrow's shuffleboard tournament?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

7 hours ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

Its pretty simple; 0 ranked teams have played yet. The AP has instructed writers to not rank teams who are playing in the Spring after the initial rankings. When they release them after the games this coming weekend they will almost all be gone. I'm assuming Ohio St will linger around, since they are arguably the best team in the country.

18 hours ago, sportsfan7 said:

Its pretty simple; 0 ranked teams have played yet. The AP has instructed writers to not rank teams who are playing in the Spring after the initial rankings. When they release them after the games this coming weekend they will almost all be gone. I'm assuming Ohio St will linger around, since they are arguably the best team in the country.

Why put them into the initial rankings in the first place then? Why am I even asking? College football works very hard to be as nonsensical as possible.

Because of positive COVID tests from Louisiana Tech (players got displaced by the hurricane, so I'm not going to totally blame them or anything), Arkansas State's embarrassment to Kansas State will be in the noon slot on Fox which is pretty neat. Unless I'm right about getting housed.

3 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Why put them into the initial rankings in the first place then? Why am I even asking? College football works very hard to be as nonsensical as possible.

I think it was the AP covering their backside in case conferences or schools decided to change their mind and drop out or start back up before the 12th. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Regardless of who plays or doesn't play, 2020 will have a whole bunch of asterisks next to it in the record books.

Assuming the B1G and/or PAC don't play, can you really say that a national champion is a champion? It already feels a bit like 1984 BYU and their lopsided championship against a middling Michigan team. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

21 hours ago, pianoknight said:

Regardless of who plays or doesn't play, 2020 will have a whole bunch of asterisks next to it in the record books.

Assuming the B1G and/or PAC don't play, can you really say that a national champion is a champion? It already feels a bit like 1984 BYU and their lopsided championship against a middling Michigan team. 

Especially since Ohio State probably had a legitimate shot at the national championship. But I'm sure the committee will have no problem putting in 3 SEC teams if things don't go well in the Big XII and the ACC.

Archived