Falcons New Unis 2020

BlazerBlaze

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Minnesota is the perfect example. They too are a 60s team, that has moved into an ultra modern stadium, but still has kept their uniforms pretty basic. They don't feel like they need to push into anything other than what works for them, and they took made a mistake with a Reebok template that was cool for like 2 seconds. I was hoping Atlanta would follow that lead, but it's clear they wanted something modern and different as they continue to try to discover the brand. 

I mostly agree with everything you said. We all wanted the throwbacks, but with the updated logo, and a red helmet. What we got was something fresh, yet simple. Atlanta is so different from any big city. We have our own culture and appeal. The Falcons wanted something bold, that's unique only to ATL. I wanted a retro style uniform, but I didn't expect it. This new set is so clean, yet the red accents give them a liveliness that Jacksonville doesn't have. These are a great compromise for those that wanted old, and the younger(20+) crowd who will mostly fill the stands in the next 5 years.

14 minutes ago, L10nheart404 said:

The Falcons wanted something bold, that's unique only to ATL.

Maybe this is something that folks here would be the only one noticing, but honestly what they did was hardly unique.

Someone earlier made the great point that they effectively did the exact thing the Jets did last year by combining triangular elements and giant city name on the jersey front. The only main difference was that the Falcons put the jersey points on the side of the jersey, not the shoulders. 

They also mirrored the Bucs by combining an oversized helmet logo with a chrome facemask. 

These are all more or less in line with Nike's general football aesthetic both in the NCAA and the pros. The black over black home uniform isn't even unique within their own division. 

It might (might) still end up looking fine on the field but it's not unique or bold. 

13 minutes ago, L10nheart404 said:

Atlanta is so different from any big city. We have our own culture and appeal. 

Please elaborate.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Atlanta has taken on sort of a "capital of Black America" position that sets it above other historic centers of black culture -- New York has always been all things to all people, New Orleans similar in its own way, and black Chicago is being abandoned and left to the Mexicans. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

I know people are trashing the ATL thing, but it is widely popular with Falcons fans I know ... including many a bit older than me (I'm 30). Seemed like most of the local radio guys who are much older thought that was the redeeming quality of the jerseys, but I know we are much more detail-oriented and have different taste, on the whole, on these boards. 

I personally wish the Falcons would embrace a more classic look. They don't have a winning history, but they are just as classic (outside of rings) as the Vikings or Cowboys as NFL teams from the 60s. They don't need to feel like they HAVE to go for an ultra-modern aesthetic (which is what got them in a templated that looked insanely outdated very quickly the last time they redesigned). 

Minnesota is the perfect example. They too are a 60s team, that has moved into an ultra modern stadium, but still has kept their uniforms pretty basic. They don't feel like they need to push into anything other than what works for them, and they took made a mistake with a Reebok template that was cool for like 2 seconds. I was hoping Atlanta would follow that lead, but it's clear they wanted something modern and different as they continue to try to discover the brand. 

If that is the case and intent, using ATL on the chest really isn't a gimmick. It's at least something to grasp onto that speaks to the brand, much like how the chrome facemask -- while generic in a vaccuum -- really speaks to the robo bird (see my avatar) and the metallic feel you get when you walk up to MBS. It's not my preference, but there was intent behind this and I think it will grow on people. The ATL wordmark is going to make these sell like hot cakes with Falcons fans, whether the people on these boards like it or not.

But do these same radio guys talk poorly about the team independently of the fanbase? Local radio is designed to give the masses what they want. If the local radio guys are saying that the team sucks, they are likely parroting what the fans are already saying. Relating this to the jersey means that they are just parroting what the fans are saying, and local fans GENERALLY will fawn over a uniform update, because 'there's no other city that is unique like we are'.

It's where I sit.

14 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Maybe this is something that folks here would be the only one noticing, but honestly what they did was hardly unique.

Speaking solely on the ATL badge. No one else can have a city name abbreviated on their jersey, where it would make sense to everyone else in the country. 

2 minutes ago, L10nheart404 said:

Speaking solely on the ATL badge. No one else can have a city name abbreviated on their jersey, where it would make sense to everyone else in the country. 

This may be stretching it a fair bit, but technically:

spacer.png

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

24 minutes ago, L10nheart404 said:

@FinsUp1214 has one. Pretty sure people know what LA is.

"The ATL" isn't unique in that the rest of us don't understand since we aren't from there. Sorry - ask people from Cleveland who have been down this same path here - it's not a battle you can win.

It's where I sit.

11 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

This may be stretching it a fair bit, but technically:

spacer.png

I get where you’re coming from but we look at the Giants through a different lens because it’s a historic mark that’s been used for decades. It also happens to be the Giants primary logo whereas the Falcons use “ATL” as a secondary mark.

I’ve really come around to the “ATL.” It’s large, but not too large since it’s only 3 letters. I would probably be complaining if they used the full “ATLANTA” in a large font but it strikes a good balance of large but not obscene.

“ATL” embodies the city and its culture. Very few cities are as recognizable by its initials or acronym. As a local, I feel like it falls into that category similar to “NYC” and “LA.” Our city might not quite be on the level of stature as those cities, but saying the initials “ATL” is absolutely as recognizable as New York and Los Angeles. It’s also not something that works for all cities. The initials for Dallas, Denver, Charlotte, Miami, Seattle, New Orleans, Philly, just to name a few, don’t quite roll off the tongue the same way. When you say “ATL,” everyone knows exactly what you’re talking about.

12 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

When you say “ATL,” everyone knows exactly what you’re talking about.

The fact that it is used makes it recognizable - it doesn't make it better than any other abbreviation.

It's where I sit.

46 minutes ago, L10nheart404 said:

I was referring to here on these boards. 

As in folks like us who obsess over uniforms look at the side details and say, "Oh hey late 90's, early 00's style." Or recognize the similarities to the 2019 Jets redesign. 

Also: 

106268468-1574868422499gettyimages-11842

I get ATL is a uniquely Atlanta thing which is fine but its still unusually tall for a football jersey thanks to the size of the front numbers. It's why it would've been better to use an ATL badge like the Steelers or at least resize the front numbers to something more proportional. Going back to the Jets, the "NEW YORK" is long and short which fits a little better into that space between the number and the collar. 

2 minutes ago, Maroon&Gold said:

citation needed

We really gonna do this?

What other city would you confuse it for?

For starters, “ATL” is the world’s #1 busiest airport for over 2 decades running. It’s the cultural and geographical capital of the south. If you’re involved in business, you’ve likely come here seeing as it’s the headquarters of countless Fortune 500 companies including Coke, UPS, Home Depot, and Delta. Atlanta has carved out its own corner of the hip hop map in the way there’s east coast hip hop and west coast with the likes of Donald Glover, Ludacris, TI, Young Jeezy, Migos, and Usher. Atlanta hosted the Centennial Olympic Games. Atlanta has become a melting pot of cultures given its incredible growth with business and development over the last 50-60 years.

So I’ll ask again. If not Atlanta, what else is “ATL?”

17 minutes ago, Maroon&Gold said:

citation needed

We can definitely debate whether or not city nicknames belong on jerseys, but c'mon, we can't seriously act like ATL or The ATL aren't widely used as a nickname for Atlanta. It's not just some airport code; it's something that people say and that people recognize. 

36 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

I get where you’re coming from but we look at the Giants through a different lens because it’s a historic mark that’s been used for decades. It also happens to be the Giants primary logo whereas the Falcons use “ATL” as a secondary mark.

I’ve really come around to the “ATL.” It’s large, but not too large since it’s only 3 letters. I would probably be complaining if they used the full “ATLANTA” in a large font but it strikes a good balance of large but not obscene.

“ATL” embodies the city and its culture. Very few cities are as recognizable by its initials or acronym. As a local, I feel like it falls into that category similar to “NYC” and “LA.” Our city might not quite be on the level of stature as those cities, but saying the initials “ATL” is absolutely as recognizable as New York and Los Angeles. It’s also not something that works for all cities. The initials for Dallas, Denver, Charlotte, Miami, Seattle, New Orleans, Philly, just to name a few, don’t quite roll off the tongue the same way. When you say “ATL,” everyone knows exactly what you’re talking about.

I get that there’s the logo/monogram vs. wordmark difference, but my only point had less to do with style and more to do with the quote (as I understood it*) implying that Atlanta was the only team that can abbreviate its city name on a jersey and have it universally resonate. NY and LA can do that just as easily (and have done it for longer across sports), and the Giants already do that now (even if it’s a monogram and not a wordmark).

*If I’m understanding that assertion wrong, feel free to correct me. That’s just how I read it.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

My take - No problem with using the ATL abbreviation, because from the outside looking in, it is something that the community seems to take pride in, and I think all of us from the outside looking in recognize it as such.  While I don't have a problem with the usage of it, I do think the size of it on the chest of the uni is a little ridiculous. 

That said, and I'm shocked I'm admitting this, I've warmed up to these uniforms a little little bit.  I want to see them on NFL players in action, but looks like we'll have plenty of time before that takes place.  

5 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

The Falcons jerseys went on sale this morning. Here’s another look at the retail replicas.

spacer.png

The retail jerseys look horrible. I thought I’d warm up to them after the retail launch but this makes me hate this design even more. These design firms have horrible foresight when thinking about stuff that fans would actually want to buy. This is definitely something that’ll only last 5 years before they “reinvent a classic” and switch to the throwback full time. 

One thing that really bugs me is the inconsistencies of the number font.  A sharp edge at the top of the 2, but it really doesn't appear anywhere else besides I think the 9?  And the 8 that the are using is just bad.  Think they could have put more detail into the number font for sure. 

Archived