Falcons New Unis 2020

BlazerBlaze

1 hour ago, JayMac said:

I've seen it and I still think the abbreviation should not be on the front of an NFL jersey. 

I've seen the "ATL", and the Jets "New York", and the "Cleveland" on the Browns outgoing set, and it always seems "unprofessional" to me -- for years you only saw this on high school and college uniforms. I kind of liked that "unofficial" designation, that a place name across the chest was a no-no for pro teams.

Weirdly, I've never been too bothered by team nicknames being in the same spot (as long as it's not large); and I've grown to accept the Giants "NY" logo being there, too (I'd hate it if they spelled out "New York", though). 

I have no real "defense" for feeling this way; but it's one tradition I'd still like to see the NFL stick with.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DEAD! said:

I don't object the Falcons for using 'ATL'. I wished more football teams had more character in the front of their uniforms. However, I would preferred it looked more like 

this

ATL

instead of 

ATL

Exactly. Why does it have to be so big? The Browns and Jets did that and it looks awful. 

XM4KeeA.png

The old set was terrible and will forever be associated with 28-3. 

This set is an improvement yes (a really low bar to clear) but I'd have preferred they went back to a red helmet and let the Glanville Falcons vibe finally die off. The "ATL" on the jerseys seems wholly unnecessary but then again I'm not from Atlanta, so it's not for me I guess? 

17 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

classic Nike numeral design. 

Yeah, those Nike fonts... WTH?  I'm trying to do a minimal type fix, and here's what I came up with.  The top is a close approximation of the new font... probably isn't exact but should be close.  The bottom is my "fix"... I added the beak to the 7, which was the other obvious spot that it was inexplicably left off.  And I exaggerated the curved corners slightly where they made sense, and removed the vague curve where they didn't.  It's subtle, but I think better;

spacer.png

7 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Hmm, honestly speaking, do you actually think that’s the case? Or perhaps a little bit of bias?

You can make a convincing argument that Los Angeles is the only major city in the country whose abbreviation is more synonymous with the city, and used more often than the full name is itself. 

I don’t think that, save outside of Atlanta and the South, “ATL” comes even close to cultural impact that “LA” has in the US and abroad.

I’ve only heard ATL being used more prominently in just the last 10 years or so personally, (which means nothing just noting my own observations as an outsider and as someone who lives in LA). 

For the record, I don’t doubt how wide spread ATL is used in that community and throughout that part of the US. If it’s an abbreviation that is beloved in that community, then by all means use it, but to say that it’s near LA in terms of cultural impact/use is a tremendous stretch IMO.

It's on the Hawks jersey , and now the Falcons... Seems you are forgetting what the debate is about. The point was made to say the ATL above the numbers isn't as stupid  and pointless as some people want it to be. 

7 hours ago, IceCap said:

ATL isn't anywhere near the same level as LA, NY, or any abbreviation of a two-word locale.

What? We're talking about it being relevant enough to warrant a prominent place on the uniforms, and clearly it does. If you don't think ATL is a prominent brand , I don't know what to tell you. It's clearly a nationally known abbreviation, and we're the capital of the South. That's enough to put it front and center on the uniform... Even if the size bothers you.

1 hour ago, L10nheart404 said:

What? We're talking about it being relevant enough to warrant a prominent place on the uniforms, and clearly it does. If you don't think ATL is a prominent brand , I don't know what to tell you. It's clearly a nationally known abbreviation, and we're the capital of the South. That's enough to put it front and center on the uniform... Even if the size bothers you.

Born and live in Atlanta all my life and the "ATL" just bugs the crap out of me mostly because of the size.  Most of the feedback I've seen and heard is people thinking of our airport and not our city.  I have never heard an Atlanta native refer to us as "ATL"...many folks have called us "Hotlanta" but not so much "ATL"; it seems like this is a newer thing.

24 minutes ago, kestrel79 said:

Those side shadow numbers make me dizzy. Like I'm looking through 3D glasses at a blue and pink image. Simple red outlines would of worked better.

When I stare at the 4, and let my eyes blur out, it does seem like there are about four or five different shades instead of 2, especially around the crossbar. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Yeah, those Nike fonts... WTH?  I'm trying to do a minimal type fix, and here's what I came up with.  The top is a close approximation of the new font... probably isn't exact but should be close.  The bottom is my "fix"... I added the beak to the 7, which was the other obvious spot that it was inexplicably left off.  And I exaggerated the curved corners slightly where they made sense, and removed the vague curve where they didn't.  It's subtle, but I think better;

spacer.png

These look like I'm looking at numbers without wearing my 3D glasses. 

Also what's with this sudden ATL iS sO iCoNiC crap? Ok ATL is Atlanta. And? So? Stop trying to make that a thing it's pathetic.

I see ATL and generally think....Attle. And yea you think of the city...some parts are very nice. It's a major metropolitan area in America. But I think it falls short of iconic status. When you think of Atlanta no iconic visions come to mind. NY...yes. Philly...definitely. The Rocky Steps, Cheesesteaks, New Orleans...yes. Miami...yes. Atlanta? Nothing really.

On 4/14/2020 at 1:39 PM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I was referring to here on these boards. 

As in folks like us who obsess over uniforms look at the side details and say, "Oh hey late 90's, early 00's style." Or recognize the similarities to the 2019 Jets redesign. 

Also: 

106268468-1574868422499gettyimages-11842

I get ATL is a uniquely Atlanta thing which is fine but its still unusually tall for a football jersey thanks to the size of the front numbers. It's why it would've been better to use an ATL badge like the Steelers or at least resize the front numbers to something more proportional. Going back to the Jets, the "NEW YORK" is long and short which fits a little better into that space between the number and the collar. 

fwiw some NY sports talk radio hosts and fans have speculated that the Jets and their massive New York centric unveil of their uniforms last year was the first step in once again trying for their own stadium somewhere in New York and cozy up to the city. Evan Roberts and Joe Benigno talked about that last year...it was just so NY heavy especially for a team that's been playing in NJ since 1984 and had their home base/training complex there for over a decade

2 hours ago, L10nheart404 said:

If you don't think ATL is a prominent brand , I don't know what to tell you. It's clearly a nationally known abbreviation, and we're the capital of the South. That's enough to put it front and center on the uniform... Even if the size bothers you.

I think you're better off just sticking with the idea that if you're from Atlanta the ATL works for you, and it's a local pride thing, and you don't care if anybody else likes it... That's all fine. You might be getting into a bit of trouble with insisting it's some nationally known brand, and everybody else should be into it.

If people from Atlanta like it, awesome. But those people might try to understand that to the rest of us, it comes off a bit like the kid in middle school who isn't quite as cool as he thinks he is and tries to give himself a nickname.

1 hour ago, LogoFan said:

Born and live in Atlanta all my life and the "ATL" just bugs the crap out of me mostly because of the size.  Most of the feedback I've seen and heard is people thinking of our airport and not our city.  I have never heard an Atlanta native refer to us as "ATL"...many folks have called us "Hotlanta" but not so much "ATL"; it seems like this is a newer thing.

Born and raised in the city.. Where have you been since the 90s?

Archived