Falcons New Unis 2020

BlazerBlaze

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm trying to cobble together a view of the font (quarantine boredom, I guess) and here's my first attempt. The 3 and 6 are both guesses, because I couldn't find a pic of them anywhere.  It's weird that the only numbers that have that hook serif are the 2 and the 9.  It could be on the 3, but since it isn't on the 5 or 7, my guess is it won't be on the 3. I initially used a rotated 9 for the 6, but the diagonal cut-out didn't work with the side shadow at the rotation. I doubt I got everything right, but I may be close.  Anything obvious I missed?

spacer.png

The hook serif is on the 3, too. Go to the third photo in this gallery:

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/photos/behind-the-scenes-new-uniforms#edf28054-fc90-458b-b2ca-d5e2810f1acb

19 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm trying to cobble together a view of the font (quarantine boredom, I guess) and here's my first attempt. The 3 and 6 are both guesses, because I couldn't find a pic of them anywhere.  It's weird that the only numbers that have that hook serif are the 2 and the 9.  It could be on the 3, but since it isn't on the 5 or 7, my guess is it won't be on the 3. I initially used a rotated 9 for the 6, but the diagonal cut-out didn't work with the side shadow at the rotation. I doubt I got everything right, but I may be close.  Anything obvious I missed?

spacer.png

spacer.png

It looks like the 3 has the pointed serif like the 2, I think. This was the best pic I could fiend that kinda shows that.

Edit: looks like I was beaten to the punch. @DPHF’s pic shows it much more clearly than the one I found.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

That's the shame of it - it could be, but unfortunately they turned up the dial to 11 on the minimal 'features' that there are, and they dominate to the point where it's hard to call it simple.

So nike makes things that are either too busy or too minimal? 

17 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

spacer.png

Regarding the 3, the best look I could find was the beginning of this video:

EDIT: Whoops double beat to it

26 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I would prefer the Rams in yellow pants at home and white on the road. The old road set never looked great, too much yellow, and this way you could make that your Fearsome Foursome callback. There would be a nice symmetry to blue sleeves and socks if they went about it that way. 

I think I can tolerate the Packers in white pants and green socks (especially if they were the old striped socks) as a once-in-a-blue-moon road game set. It could be an interesting quirk to have the white on white only pop up in select locations. The Color Rush set with plain white socks is unacceptable, especially at home where it takes one precious appearance of the Packers' signature uniform off the calendar.

The Rams are one of teams I think could definitely pull that off.

4 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

spacer.png

You’re close. The 3 definitely has the “beak” on it and I think the center arm extends out to the left a little more (37 was in the photo shoot, but his photos are tough to track down). The waist cutouts on the 3 and 8 need to be a little deeper.

Other than that, these look a tiny bit too wide and the horizontals a tiny bit too thin in proportion to the verticals.

I think you could fix it all in one go if you just narrow the verticals, and maybe the shadows and the counter spaces a tiny bit if you think it needs it.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

14 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

IINM don't the Raptors use that font?

I was thinking license plate USA which is closer to what is used on actual license plates in the US. The Raptors is a version of the font you referenced though. 

license_plate_usa_specimen.jpg

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

31 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Thanks guys... I missed that picture.  Try this?

spacer.png

2,3,6,8,9 and 0 would look better with rounded corners rather than the straight edges they have now. 1, 4 and 5 would probably suffer though. I think that's the issue I have with these. If they had slightly modified the previous font it would have looked better than these to me but how would that affect the rest of the uniform?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

8 hours ago, L10nheart404 said:

I mean... There's literally only two design features that's on the jersey and pants. The stripe is thin and inoffensive, and the ATL badge is the same color on the home and away, as is the stripes. Everything else is very cohesive and simple. There's no piping on the jersey or pants, and no three tone sleeve stripes.  I understand if you're not fond of them, they're not for everybody. But the uniforms you'll be seeing for 15 games a year is a nice, modern, and simple; even if the number font is a little different.

Fair point: it is cohesive and less busy than the previous set but I still think it hasn’t solved the problems. 

The misaligned side details are going to be more noticeable not less. They also end in a point a both ends rather than run to the sleeve or pant cuff. The numbers are wonkier and bigger so it’s still obtrusive even if the style isn’t as detailed.

Reduce the number font and change it all together, then shrink down the ATL and wear different colored socks from pants. Then its do-able, until then it just looks bad.  And of course burn the gradients, those are trash.

as a Falcons fan, Luke warm. Jerseys will look better on a fan than on the field. I dont Hate anything about them but they are a downgrade. The Font is just a tad big on the numbers and The ATL could be alot smaller. On the white Jersey I'd love if the numbers were Red and the ATL was black. The red Pants should have never been made, and the gradient Jersey is growing on me. I'd just like to see every look w/ contrasting socks. Helmets cool, The ATL word mark is cool, to me I just dont really rock with that size. I feel like it would be a good jersey to buy in all colors. The gradient will be pretty cool to wear out, reminds me of those 90s hawks jerseys that I love. I just dont like the overall look for on field when done with the wrong combos. Those few changes and its solid. For what its worth if the combos are done right I'm not angry. 

Perfect combos for me?

All black, or black on white, white socks

All white, red socks

Gradient to black, Red socks

ATL

6 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Just curious. Green Bay and Pittsburgh have one set of pants (not counting the color rush pants). When they meet every four years, should one of them have to wear something different, as it relates to this color clash conversation? I'm opposed to it (probably obviously) because that is their look. Why look less than their best, as it might be the first time @the admiral visits Lambeau, and fans should see the team at their best?

I don't think a team should be forced away from it's 'look'.  History has shown that there's no issue when they play each other in yellow pants, so I wouldn't fix what isn't broken.  In those two specific cases I'd be opposed to mandatory clash pants because those teams have decades invested in those looks.  I think it's fine for teams to have options, even if some shouldn't.  If the Steelers voluntarily decided that they were gonna wear black pants whilst in Green Bay, then while I thin it's unnecessary, I wouldn't kill them for it.  I don't think there should be a rule requiring clash pants under any circumstances.

5 hours ago, Reyes47 said:

So nike makes things that are either too busy or too minimal? 

I'm not sure why you keep doing this.  1. never put words in my mouth.  2. never extrapolate from a snip of a post.  No reasonable person would interpret my post like that.

I mean this in all sincerity, and as real advice, not coming down on you or bashing.  It's currently a little difficult to interact with you because you're responding to statements that haven't even been made.  I really recommend that you self quarantine from the forum - or at least this thread - just for a couple of days and then come back with a clearer head and let's see if we can continue this.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Surprisingly I don't hate this but the Falcons need to shrink the ATL to a more normal size and have Chris Sale come in and use his good arm to send the gradient to the rag pile where they belong.

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I'm not sure why you keep doing this.  1. never put words in my mouth. 

I didn’t 

2. never extrapolate from a snip of a post.  No reasonable person would interpret my post like that.

I didn’t either

I mean this in all sincerity, and as real advice, not coming down on you or bashing.  It's currently a little difficult to interact with you because you're responding to statements that haven't even been made.  I really recommend that you self quarantine from the forum - or at least this thread - just for a couple of days and then come back with a clearer head and let's see if we can continue this.

I asked it as a genuine question

I can't.  Good day to you.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived