Falcons New Unis 2020

BlazerBlaze

4 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

It’s silver, but it’s more of a foil finish than a typical metallic grey, so it will generally appear very dark, almost black in the shadow, and very bright, almost white in the light, with a high contrast break. It’s almost chrome-like. You can see the reflection of Matt Ryan’s chinstrap along the back edge of the wing.

Cool catch - thanks!

It's where I sit.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with @Carolingian Steamroller, I’m not quite as disappointed with this set as I was when it was unveiled, though it is still a bit of a disappointment for what the Falcons could be. It seems that they really wanted to distance themselves from any sort of visual connection with Georgia with the embrace of black. I don’t even hate the monochrome black home set, though I think it’d work better as an alternate worn twice a year, maybe during big primetime games. My biggest gripes are the all-white away set (sticking with the black pants would do wonders) and the helmet, especially the silver facemask. If they just kept the old helmet, this set would be a lot better.

The red stripe probably won’t work (and will be more noticeable) like the one before, but I guess we’ll see:

IKAskWs.jpg

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I wonder if they could have done the bird in all black, then added a red shadow to match the numbers.

That could have been a feasible execution. Arguably could’ve been a nod to the throwbacks by “updating” or “blending” the past into the current.... or whatever Nike would say.

The Falcons really,really need to do the contrasting sock thing on the monochromes. Overall, it's a better look but that's not saying much with the 2004 look.Looking up at that picture of Julio Jones, you can really see how dopey the shoulders and piping look. The gradient is just stupid and too bad the throwbacks aren't the home unis. BTW, I think we can count on 1 hand how many time we will see the red pants That's over 5 seasons too).

2 minutes ago, daniel75 said:

I’m guessing the players had the most input on the gradient one.

Do they indicate that players had any input on any of them? Unless they say that's the case, I don't think teams usually give players any input. But I agree that the gradient jersey is the one that's targeted at the youth market, which is the demographic of most of the players.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

1 minute ago, whitedawg22 said:

Do they indicate that players had any input on any of them? Unless they say that's the case, I don't think teams usually give players any input. But I agree that the gradient jersey is the one that's targeted at the youth market, which is the demographic of most of the players.

Yeah they said the players had input. And youth is no excuse to think a gradient jersey looks good.

7 minutes ago, daniel75 said:

Yeah they said the players had input. And youth is no excuse to think a gradient jersey looks good.

Yea but everything about this, from ATL, to "New Drip" and all that crap is clearly marketed towards the teeange to early adult Atlanta fanbase.

Also no surprise, the numbers look better on the retail jerseys since they are smaller.

I know people are trashing the ATL thing, but it is widely popular with Falcons fans I know ... including many a bit older than me (I'm 30). Seemed like most of the local radio guys who are much older thought that was the redeeming quality of the jerseys, but I know we are much more detail-oriented and have different taste, on the whole, on these boards. 

I personally wish the Falcons would embrace a more classic look. They don't have a winning history, but they are just as classic (outside of rings) as the Vikings or Cowboys as NFL teams from the 60s. They don't need to feel like they HAVE to go for an ultra-modern aesthetic (which is what got them in a templated that looked insanely outdated very quickly the last time they redesigned). 

Minnesota is the perfect example. They too are a 60s team, that has moved into an ultra modern stadium, but still has kept their uniforms pretty basic. They don't feel like they need to push into anything other than what works for them, and they took made a mistake with a Reebok template that was cool for like 2 seconds. I was hoping Atlanta would follow that lead, but it's clear they wanted something modern and different as they continue to try to discover the brand. 

If that is the case and intent, using ATL on the chest really isn't a gimmick. It's at least something to grasp onto that speaks to the brand, much like how the chrome facemask -- while generic in a vaccuum -- really speaks to the robo bird (see my avatar) and the metallic feel you get when you walk up to MBS. It's not my preference, but there was intent behind this and I think it will grow on people. The ATL wordmark is going to make these sell like hot cakes with Falcons fans, whether the people on these boards like it or not.

Archived