Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

They'll come out with some "anthracite" garbage that Nike Fanboys will love and justify it by saying something like "LA is Hollywood. Hollywood is the silver screen. The Rams will play a special brand of football. A cinematic struggle each gameday. The "Hollywood Silver" represents Los Angeles' glamorous past and the gridiron movie magic the Rams will create in the future."

Dumb people will eat this :censored: up.

What if they go with gold chrome horns on the helmet to represent award-winning celebrities?

Oscar_statue_2.jpg

This is a good point. I didn't chrome was an option before, but now I absolutely do.

If they go futuristic, they are gonna go chrome

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"This would've been a better example"

20130918__0910parry2~3.JPG

Actually, that's also a terrible example. These, however, are not:

Nike-West-Virginia-Jerseys.jpg

wv-13-allblue-1-675x380.jpg

ap_texas_tech_west_virginia_football_773

West-Virginia-Mountaineers-Football-Bowl

So, it's not just BFBS; it's a tertiary color used to enhance contrast. If anyone thought I was calling for predominantly black jerseys or pants, that was not my meaning. If you want these to be even more impactful, instead of Navy, keep Royal Blue; someone take one of these and Photoshop the Navy to royal and the contrast is even more striking.

What about that enhances the contrast? It doesn't even look intentional - looks like more of the panel color inconsistency issues Nike's had with these templates (see: New York Jets), which begs the question - what is the point of the black?

I'd be okay if the Rams went with navy blue, yellow and white and I'd prefer royal blue, yellow and white, but to add a third color just because is a bad idea and an outdated trend in and of itself. That's what teams like San Jose State did in the early 2000's (which is why I used that picture) and current ***COLLEGE*** teams are doing in one-off Nike games commercials. It's a completely ill-fitting practice for an NFL team of the Rams' prestige for an every game uniform. They only need blue and yellow. Anything else would only serve to make them look worse.

PvO6ZWJ.png

There is no contrast at all between the black and navy in those photos, even in sunlight.

So why would West Virginia (or the Rams) even bother? Stick to blue and gold.

So they could look cool and badarse like the Raiders.

Except for the minor problem that one of the takeaways from Tuesday's events is that the NFL wanted to prevent a return of "Raider Nation" to Los Angeles at all costs, so borrowing from their imagery is probably not happening.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Whatever the Rams do I just hope they try to match the color of the helmet to the color of the jersey.

Using a navy blue helmet with royal blue everywhere else was never acceptable and if the throwback is what they go back to full-time I hope they don't just keep the navy helmets just for throwback accuracy's sake.

rams-bell-saffold-horiz-apjpg-4bd3d2f07b

PvO6ZWJ.png

This would've been a better example

20130918__0910parry2~3.JPG

Maybe, and that also looks horrendous. Royal blue is absolutely too dark to work with black. From any distance, the shoulder stripes disappear, the facemask looks blue, and the numbers are illegible. We see the color problem on the Tampa Bay Lightning. Since they stupidly went with Royal blue, they have trouble shoehorning black in. If you have black against royal blue, it disappears. If you have a black offset outline on the blue numbers of the white jersey, your eyes see it as blue from a distance. The black outline surrounded by white on the blue jersey is similarly seen as blue. It doesn't enhance contrast, it significantly decreases it and muddies the look.

There is no way adding black to royal blue would add contrast. It can't be done. Not as an outline or a shadow. It would be done for one reason and one alone: to be kewl and sell black merchandise. And as McCarthy mentioned, that WVU looks horrible and like it was a manufacturer defect. Looking at Butler's two NCAA runs, I always thought the uniforms were dark navy, and the color discrepancy was due to the difference in fabric between the jerseys and cuffs. I saw them as navy because they *should* have been navy, as navy was actually a school color. Navy and black absolutely don't go.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Black goes better with royal blue than it did with the deeper blue the Lightning used to have. They could shoehorn more black in and have it look great, they just don't want to because they think they have to look like the Maple Leafs.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I disagree that royal blue works better with black than the old color, but both colors were wrong for them. They should have used a brighter, electric blue. And I don't see any way they could effectively use black with their current scheme. Any black you use would have to be separated from blue by white, and even then, it would look blue from a distance.

Also, McCarthy, since you're good with photoshop, would you mind photoshopping the photo you posted to have royal blue helmets and white numbers, while keeping the horns yellow? I think that's the perfect Rams look.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

There is no way adding black to royal blue would add contrast. It can't be done. Not as an outline or a shadow. It would be done for one reason and one alone: to be kewl and sell black merchandise. And as McCarthy mentioned, that WVU looks horrible and like it was a manufacturer defect. Looking at Butler's two NCAA runs, I always thought the uniforms were dark navy, and the color discrepancy was due to the difference in fabric between the jerseys and cuffs. I saw them as navy because they *should* have been navy, as navy was actually a school color. Navy and black absolutely don't go.

i agree with you that adding black to royal blue is a bad look and that royal blue is dark enough that it contrasts poorly, but i have to disagree with the "muddling" of a look and decreasing visibility when used as outlines... black and white are absolutely opposites, and thusly, have maximum contrast... blue and white have less contrast (as do blue and black).. if you have a white jersey and you outline a blue number with a black outline, the black outline on the white jersey absolutely increases contrast, visibility, and readability. also, with a white number on a blue jersey, if the white number is outlined in black, it sets the white number off visibly, thus increasing contrast, visibility, and readiblity...

by no means am i condoning the use of black by the rams, as that would be blasphemy, and i'm also not a fan of royal/black color schemes, but the basic science and logic behind the concept supports black as trim on an otherwise blue/white uniform... the SJSU uniform pictured above would've been infinitely more visible if the yellow and black were inverted.. still would've been a terrible look, but the visibility would've improved tremendously

I disagree that royal blue works better with black than the old color, but both colors were wrong for them. They should have used a brighter, electric blue. And I don't see any way they could effectively use black with their current scheme. Any black you use would have to be separated from blue by white, and even then, it would look blue from a distance.

Also, McCarthy, since you're good with photoshop, would you mind photoshopping the photo you posted to have royal blue helmets and white numbers, while keeping the horns yellow? I think that's the perfect Rams look.

left the guy on the left in the regular uniform so you could compare and contrast

Rams3_zpsvcv53zey.jpg

always felt like there was too much yellow on that jersey and that flipping the numbers to white was a very easy solution. I really like how this looks.

PvO6ZWJ.png

left the guy on the left in the regular uniform so you could compare and contrast

Rams3_zpsvcv53zey.jpg

always felt like there was too much yellow on that jersey and that flipping the numbers to white was a very easy solution. I really like how this looks.

i've always liked the touch of white in the uniform (particularly the patns), but the jerseys having only the last name in white, made it easy to dismiss the white stripe on the pants as unnecessary and inconsistent.. a white number with yellow outline, while retaining the yellow horns and yellow wordmark and changing the last name to yellow, would help.. even a white wordmark on the front and white last name would help, but i think this is the way to go for sure

Whoa, don't like the white numbers at all. I don't need to see the Rams' cheap-looking number font come back, but they gotta be single-layer yellow on royal blue. I love how that looks; I wish the Buffalo Sabres would do the same.

I have a feeling Nike -- or someone -- will know better than to botch the tidal wave of nostalgia with anthracite, contrast stitching, or typical Nike clownsuitery. I think at most you'll see a satin finish on the helmet or something, but nothing overly ambitious. It'll be closer to what they wear now than some of these goofy-ass college uniforms people are posting. The original Rams uniforms were already kind of ambitious for their time, after all.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived