Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry if this has been covered, but it is confirmed that the Rams are moving to those yellow color rush jerseys, full time next season correct? I seem to remember hearing that on here at one point.

No.

Other than that, I assume any potential uniform changes would still have to happen down the road, right? Isn't there still a multi-year application process and what not for getting new uniforms? Or does relocation allow for that to all go out the window

So far as anybody knows. the process is the same. But it's very possible that the Rams have already applied for a change - they were hinting at a change back in 2014.

whether the Chargers move or not this is how I'd like to see them dress

Chargers_zpsh1ctdehk.jpg

..you know...if San Diego does move, it wouldn't be a bad idea for them to change to the color scheme of the Rams. Since they'll be occupying the same stadium, it would make them appear less of a 2nd tenant if the color scheme in the stadium matched theirs.

Uh, it would make them seem less like a second tenant but more like an insecure, creepy girlfriend who cuts her hair short and dies it red when she sees photos of you with an ex with similar hair. "We changed just to make you happy. Love us, Los Angeles!"

OldRomanSig2.jpg

No matter what the Rams do uniform-wise upon their return to Los Angeles where they belong and should've never moved in the first place, I surely hope that they change the ram horn on the helmet back to the way it used to be where at the very front of the helmet it was very angular compared to what they have done to it over time. It was V-shaped in the front.

As I said in the other thread, I'd love to see these horns (actually, I'd love to see these entire uniforms, but without the white number outline).

2-elroy-crazylegs-hirsch-wr-rb.jpg

Chargers_zpsh1ctdehk.jpg

..you know...if San Diego does move, it wouldn't be a bad idea for them to change to the color scheme of the Rams. Since they'll be occupying the same stadium, it would make them appear less of a 2nd tenant if the color scheme in the stadium matched theirs.

Uh, it would make them seem less like a second tenant but more like an insecure, creepy girlfriend who cuts her hair short and dies it red when she sees photos of you with an ex with similar hair. "We changed just to make you happy. Love us, Los Angeles!"

So...what you're saying is...an improvement from their current status? ;)

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

Chargers_zpsh1ctdehk.jpg

That's what they should have switched to in 2007. Beautiful. Kinda Kent State-y, but damn it just looks good.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I wouldn't want the Rams to use any of the St. Louis stuff... logo, colors etc. Go back to being the LA Rams.

grfbe07kghepvedhhyr2.gif

...but the StL stuff was taken from LA...so you're in favor of a complete rebrand...new colors...new logos?

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

I wouldn't want the Rams to use any of the St. Louis stuff... logo, colors etc. Go back to being the LA Rams.

grfbe07kghepvedhhyr2.gif

...but the StL stuff was taken from LA...so you're in favor of a complete rebrand...new colors...new logos?

No, I just meant don't use the navy/gold and newer versions of the logo that were made while in St. Louis.

Chargers_zpsh1ctdehk.jpg

It would actually be a great idea, because the stadium could actually have team colors in it, unlike MetLife stadium, Staples Center, and other shared stadiums which are neutral

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

I hadn't mentioned such in my last post, but my Dad grew up a big Rams fan. He loved Merlin Olsen (Utah native), and growing up in southern Utah, Los Angeles really wasn't extremely far away in regards to proximity, so it came pretty natural for him. Anyways, after they moved to St. Louis, his football interest dropped to casual (if that), so he didn't follow them too much (although he did watch both of their Super Bowls and rooted for them).

I talked to him about the move to LA today, and he's really ecstatic about it. He's one of those fans that feels like he's "getting his team back". I was really surprised, however, at the first thing he said about it (after "YES!!"), he being a guy who never has been one to pay much attention to uniforms or even mention uniforms - "I really hope they wear the old blue and gold again with the horns on the sleeve." So there you have it, even a Rams fan from Utah who rarely ever thinks or cares about uniforms wants the throwback look to return.

It just seems like the right thing to do after talking to him. It definitely swayed me. I'd still prefer the Crazy Legs 50's set if you asked me, but now I'm more convinced at the very least that the throwback blue and gold is the way to go, and that the Dickerson set is a good route; I know there will be a fan over here in my Dad who's gonna love it.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

The Chargers copying the Rams' color scheme would be the visual equivalent of the little brother screaming "I wanna come too!"

The Chargers going to LA to begin with is the equivalent of the little brother screaming "I wanna come, too!" It's like a 17 year-old Stan Kroenke is going on a date, but his parents (NFL) make him take along his whiney 12 year-old brother (Spanos) because he's a pain in the ass and they don't want to hear him bitching all night.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Ice_Cap, I ran out of my quota of likes today, but I was going to say pretty much that verbatim. I also was going to throw in that black absolutely does not go with navy, and that royal blue is also too dark to work with it. Also, both teams in the Pitt-WVU game looked horrendous. That game was about taking the team away from the team and making it a Nike fashion show. And Kroenke very well might buy Nike's pitch that "this is what the kids like these days," but I hope he doesn't trot out the Rams in trash like that.

Your opinion is subjective, as is mine, but as someone who sells athletic uniforms and apparel for a living, and is educated in design - including color theory - Royal Blue is not too dark to contrast with Black, especially with Athletic Gold. I put a football team in that exact color scheme this year, who never had previously included Black in their Royal/Gold scheme, and they were tremendously well-received and looked fantastic - my opinion, but also everyone in that district felt the same. It works.

I can agree with there being less contrast between Black & Navy, but that doesn't mean they don't work. Adding Black to anything as a design accent, foundation, or outline provides contrast between competing colors - in this case, Royal and Gold - and allows them to "pop" more. In most cases (not all), Grey or Dark Grey does the same thing.

Your opinion of that Pitt-WVU game is again subjective, but I feel that both teams looked tremendous, and it's a direct result of using Black and Grey as base neutrals to allow their primary colors to take main stage.

You may not like it, but the theory is correct, and its now prevalent use in athletic apparel & uniforms is proof that it is attractive to most.

Trust me, if it wasn't, they wouldn't be selling it.

As a Nike Team dealer for Lids Sports Group, disclaimer here that I have no idea or inside information on what they might do with the Rams' brand in LA.

I do have opinions based on my knowledge of the market and the industry. And I do not think for one second they will wear their current Navy/Gold sets for a day in LA.

I also do not think NFL will miss an opportunity to work with Nike to come up with something entirely new and fresh for LA. And my gut says it's been in the works for the past few years, but I truly have no idea.

However, I would not be surprised - or opposed - to see them keep elements of both segments of their past and adding something new, and by that I mean going with a Navy/Athletic Gold (Michigan) combination that takes Navy from St. Louis and Athletic Gold from LA. (If the Chargers are a lock to move, I could see them adopting the same Yellow the Chargers use, so that the stadium could be outfitted appropriately, but I believe in general they're going to keep that neutral and use LED boards everywhere for team graphics.)

Reasons I think this:

1. No one in the NFL currently uses Navy/Athletic Gold or Yellow exclusively (Chargers have Powder Blue as accent).

2. Pulls 1 color from both cities' past.

Why would the Rams want to honour anything about St. Louis? The new Rams uniforms will be designed to appeal to the Rams fans in LA, who certainly don't want anything to do with the St. Louis era. The LA fans want royal and athletic gold. Will the uniforms be a straight throwback? Probably not, but I expect the old colours to carry over untouched.

Perhaps because they won their lone Super Bowl there and 3 of the greatest players in franchise history - Warner, Faulk, and Bruce - played there? In the end, it's a new chapter in franchise history, so there's an argument that can easily be made that neither previous color combination should be utilized. This is a way to respect franchise histories in both cities. Just because the fans want throwbacks, doesn't mean that's what the NFL or the franchise want.

3. Makes it easy for the Chargers to change Power Blue (beautiful, unique, energetic color) to being their primary color, with Navy and Yellow as secondary colors.

Dean Spanos loves navy. The powder blue highlights were added to try and appease the fanbase, which prefers powder blue. Point being that the Chargers will never drop navy for powder blue (or royal blue) so long as Spanos owns the team.

I didn't say they should drop Navy, I said to differentiate themselves from the Rams, they could swap Powder Blue to their primary color and move Navy to an accent. I don't know Dean Spanos well enough to call him up and ask him, but ultimately, it's a business decision, and one that makes sense assuming the LA Rams were to keep Navy, the assumption I was making in my post.

4. It's new and fresh and will be distinctly "new" LA.

It's not new. The Rams' colour rush uniforms this past season were athletic gold and navy. They were also worn in St. Louis.

I'm not sure how navy is "distinctly 'new' LA" either. Whatever "new LA" means. LA is awash in pro sports teams. The Lakers are purple and athletic gold. The Clippers are red, white, blue, and black. The Dodgers are royal blue with a bit of red. The Angels are red with a bit of navy. The Kings are black and silver. The Ducks are black, gold, and orange. Nothing really establishing navy as a "unique to LA" colour.

You completely missed my point. I'm just referring to a new era in franchise history. It has nothing to do with the culture of LA or other existing teams; it's just a recommendation that would be new, signifying this new time and new start back in LA. Just because the team moves back, doesn't mean the uniforms have to move back 20 years, too.

Nike has done a fantastic job with combos at WVU over the past half decade or so. I could certainly see Grey or Black - or BOTH - being added to make this team really stand out. Used as neutral bases and for outlining, they truly highlight the primary hues.

What does WVU have to do with the Los Angeles Rams? And how would grey or black help the Rams "stand out"? If anything those colours would muddle up the royal blue and athletic gold colour scheme. It pops on its own. It doesn't need anything else to "stand out." Certainly nothing from Nike's catalogue of bad NCAA football ideas.

What does WVU have to do with the Rams? I didn't say at all that they did; I simply made a reference to how Nike has used Navy & Athletic Gold well with their recent uniforms. As I just posted in another reply, basic color theory states that when placing 2 primary colors on a contrasting neutral - black, white, or grey - they are accentuated. You're using a contrasting neutral as a base, rather than one of the primaries on top of another primary. Black would not muddle Royal/Gold as I've executed it as well and it is a different tone, as is Grey with Navy/Gold. The colors do not "pop" on their own, because they are similar tonally and lack distinct contrast.

It's obvious from your comment that you are anti-Nike, thus your disrespectful tone and damning of a clearly subjective opinion which is actually backed up with actual theory.

Chargers_zpsh1ctdehk.jpg

Oh my G-d that's stunning.

I respectfully disagree. I feel this is dated and bland. The absence of Powder Blue is a negative.

a lot of people have brought up the "fearsome foursome" blue and white unis as a possibility (or a wish) for the Rams. i know Infrared is a big fan of those and so am i honestly, id even say theyre one of my top 5 or 6 favorite NFL unis ever. but let me explain why it doesn't work so well

they would be sharing a color palette (the blue is close enough) with the Colts. every NFL team is a national brand and therefore all 32 teams are competing for fans in every state ( and beyond) and require their own unique identity. the Rams / Colts unis are different enough, but identity only begins on the field. you have to think about merch/apparel as well. it would do the Rams a lot of good to introduce a 3rd color to a blue/white identity, whether thats yellow, gold, bronze or whatever. when you see 32 hats on a rack and yours stands out due to color, thats the start of a winning identity

Unfortunately, you're probably right about the branding issues a return to blue and white would bring. Looks like someone needs to tell the Colts it's time for some new colors. B)

Chargers_zpsh1ctdehk.jpg

I'm sold.

BB52Big.jpg

Your opinion of that Pitt-WVU game is again subjective, but I feel that both teams looked tremendous, and it's a direct result of using Black and Grey as base neutrals to allow their primary colors to take main stage.

You may not like it, but the theory is correct, and its now prevalent use in athletic apparel & uniforms is proof that it is attractive to most.

Yeah, popularity is an excellent way to judge quality.

Kim-Kardashian-Kanye-West-Paris-Fashion-

In general, I'd love to see a Vikings-esque update to the 1973-99 set, outlining the numbers and filling the sleeve horns with the appropriate third color. That said, I'd love to see the Rams try yellow as their regular road uniform. Hear me out:

Home: Blue/Blue/Yellow

Road: Blue/Yellow/White or Blue/Yellow/Blue (yellow just like the Color Rush tops, with just a little white)

Alt: Roman Gabriel-era-inspired Blue/White/White (with just a hint of yellow)

I doubt an NFL team can wear a non-white road uniform, but given that the Rams likely go back to Royal Blue and Yellow and that (some) NFL games are going color-on-color (albeit overkill), it may be the perfect time to start.

If not, just update the whole 1973-99 set with a gold alternate and save the Gabriel-era uniforms for Color Rush:*

Home: Blue/Blue/Yellow

Road: Blue/White/Yellow

Alt: Blue/Yellow/Blue or Blue/Yellow/White

Color Rush: Gabriel-era Blue/White/White (blue socks please!)

I can even deal with the Rams keeping the navy; pairing it with a lot of athletic gold, er, yellow would do wonders them from being confused with their potential Los Angeles brethren and also be a fresh take on the 1973-99 set.

*I do believe they belong in there somewhere, but just as alternates/throwbacks. Otherwise they would look too much like the Colts IMO.

Yeah, popularity is an excellent way to judge quality.

Kim-Kardashian-Kanye-West-Paris-Fashion-

Someone should make a "HATERS GONNA HATE" meme out of this.

So where will they be playing next year. I know not St Louis but where in LA?

The Los Angeles Coliseum.

If the Chargers come nobody knows where they would play because it cannot be the LA Coliseum who said only one team temporarily, Rose Bowl, Dodger Stadium, Angels Stadium, Stub Hub Centre, all said no. So at the present moment that's the big mystery should the Chargers decide to pick up and move before 2016 season.

I like the wordmark in 1994

http://content.sportslogos.net/logos/7/188/full/grfbe07kghepvedhhyr2.gif

Archived