Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rams look sharp but to vent for a moment, the LA tv market's Sunday slate is now down to 2 games/day due to the POS rams coming to town as opposed to getting 3 quality match-ups a week. This means depending on scheduling that 16 games are not being shown in the #2 market which is a significant loss of viewers. ~80% of the league's revenue and franchise value is tied to tv. Fox/CBS local affiliates are going to take a financial hit for sure. The relo fee of $550M is subsidizing the loss somewhat but this is a backassward move from a long term business standpoint. Rant over.

42 minutes ago, guest23 said:

Rams look sharp but to vent for a moment, the LA tv market's Sunday slate is now down to 2 games/day due to the POS rams coming to town as opposed to getting 3 quality match-ups a week. This means depending on scheduling that 16 games are not being shown in the #2 market which is a significant loss of viewers. ~80% of the league's revenue and franchise value is tied to tv. Fox/CBS local affiliates are going to take a financial hit for sure. The relo fee of $550M is subsidizing the loss somewhat but this is a backassward move from a long term business standpoint. Rant over.

It's two games a day only for day home games.  For away and night games it's still 3 games.  And for Week 17 they often add an extra game.  So they don't lose 16 games.  If another team moved to LA it'd go back to three games.  Any "lost" local revenue is likely made up through increased rates, new training camp shows, or encore replays.

EDIT: Even the two games a day for local home games is no longer an iron-clad rule.  Denver homes had two early games despite the Broncos playing at home in a late game today.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

20 minutes ago, fumbler said:

The Rams uniform against Seattle was appalling and the helmet was darker than the rest of the uniform.

Of course it was - that's their regular navy shell, as teams aren't allowed to use two different colored shells in a single year. 

How fortunate for them that the original uniform they're throwing back to had a darker helmet as well:

joe-namath-los-angeles-rams_pg_600.jpg

Even with this little quirk, I'll take it.  So much better than their drab Dome duds. 

20 minutes ago, jgiff17 said:

It's going to be disappointing to see the navy and gold after how great everything looked today. What is the fine for a team going against the uniform rules? If reasonable they should just do it and set up a gofundme account 

It was stated in this thread earlier that it could lead to possible penalties too. The Rams shouldn't kill their season just because they want to wear a uniform, if anything they need to let their play on the field ruin their season...

bSLCtu2.png

3 hours ago, guest23 said:

Don't care. We got a team. They still haven't scored a TD, but it's still LA's team once again. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

2019 revamp:

Slightly modernized version of the alt wore today.  No toilet bowl collars.  Navy and Yellow (athletic gold).  Some trim on the numbers and stripes.  Yellow pants, blue pants, and white pants options, all with appropriate stripes.  Color Rush yellow jersey.   White and blue alt - modify the helmets to blue and white for those two home games. That should work fine.  No need to overthink this.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Of course it was - that's their regular navy shell, as teams aren't allowed to use two different colored shells in a single year. 

How fortunate for them that the original uniform they're throwing back to had a darker helmet as well:

joe-namath-los-angeles-rams_pg_600.jpg

Even with this little quirk, I'll take it.  So much better than their drab Dome duds. 

Thanks for the information, i never knew this about the NFL.

I like the Blue and yellow way more then the Navy and Gold. Still not sold on the shoulder swirl though.

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

But do referees have the authority is the game rules to penalize a team for uniform violations? I know the NFL can fine for socks being too low, or the jersey not tucked, etc. But the referee doesn't have that power to affect the game.

Plus, Minnesota years ago had planned to wear their road white jersey and purple pants at home and somehow the visiting team didn't get the memo (forget who), and had to change into their home purple sometime during the first half. And yet, the referees didn't punish them for it.

The problem I have with the NFL is this:

They create a rule that has zero affect on the game. Then, point to that rule as to why they can't make better decisions when things obviously require being done differently than the rule.

They don't say it's because it's impossible for the Rams to have blue/yellow when had they changed their name and logo complete (introducing the Los Angeles Stars, for example), they'd have to push everything through in just a few months. Yet, by keeping their name, their argument is that it's just too unfathomably difficult for them to adjust for such a glaring error in their own rules.

This is why you have people who make decisions. So such horrible inefficiencies and irregularities get caught before being churned out as the status quo. Someone, from the comissioner on down had the power to make the obvious correction. But, instead simply say "just following orders" and point to the rule the league themselves instituted.

If they were the Los Angeles Stars... would they still be stuck with navy/gold with horns on the helmet just because they need a few years to get all their sponsors and suppliers on the same page? No. Which proves the 'rule' is bureaucracy run amok.

2 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

The problem I have with the NFL is this:

They create a rule that has zero affect on the game.

Not every rule has to be directly related to the on-field action. I totally understand the NFL's collective reluctance to diminish their brands, and so they limit the use of alternates. 

Do do I wish they'd make an exception in this case?  Absolutely, because I like the alternates better than the regular uniforms. But I respect that the rule was designed to prevent an Oregon in the NFL, and as such I'm okay with it even when inconvenient for my personal preferences.  No exceptions here means no exceptions, period. And that's a good thing. 

8 hours ago, guest23 said:

If you care more about out of market teams then get the NFL package, it's that simple. When the Rams get good, do legtimate Rams fans a favor and don't jump on the bandwagon. This post is the classic bandwagon fan.

8 hours ago, guest23 said:

If you care more about out of market teams then get the NFL package, it's that simple. When the Rams get good, do legitimate Rams fans a favor and don't jump on the bandwagon. This post is the classic bandwagon fan.

Archived