WNBA's New York Liberty unveils new logo, colors

LAWeaver

The New York Liberty of the WNBA have unveiled their new logo and color scheme.

The team switches to a black and seafoam identity, while the logo that still features Lady Liberty's arm and torch with a seafoam basketball flame. 

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent update. Cleaned up the logo, and the black really lets the seafoam stand out instead of competing with the blue and orange.

And this definitely deserves it's own thread. No reason this should be lumped into the NBA megathread.

spacer.png

New York Liberty Unveil New Logo, Colours for 2020

April 14, 2020 - 15:44 PM

The New York Liberty this morning unveiled a brand new primary logo and colour scheme in anticipation of the 2020 Women’s National Basketball Association season (we hope, anyway). With the team’s relocation from Madison Square Garden in Manhattan to Brooklyn’s […]

Read More...

The identity has focused on black and seafoam for a few years.  This is a great update.  

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

It's almost like teams can be immensely successful in their rebranding efforts. Also goes to show this board doesn't just hate every change that happens. This is a good refresh and I love this logo.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

5 minutes ago, jgiff17 said:

If the XFL is gone this league is right behind them IMO

The XFL had been around for a few games, and was essentially an experimental minor league. This league has been around for decades and has the best athletes in its sport. 

It's your opinion, but your opinion is wrong. 

6 minutes ago, jgiff17 said:

If the XFL is gone this league is right behind them IMO

Uh, no.  This is an established league with nearly a quarter-century behind it, and is the top level of competition in the entire world for women in its sport.  Plus it has NBA money behind it, which will help it sustain though any rough patches.  The XFL was a minor-league without independent funding, that was trying to create its own niche in a hostile marketplace littered with the corpses of leagues that tried and failed. 

Maybe you could have drawn a comparison between the two in 1997, but even that would have been a stretch.

Overall pretty solid, but...

1. Could they have more ads on their jerseys?

2. Not a fan of the font used for the wordmark.  Some letters rise left to right, others right to left.  It all looks messy to me. The Y in particular (in NY and Liberty) justdoes not work for me. 

3. Add 1 more color, maybe orange for the flame, and I think you have something very marketable. 

These appear underdesigned, if anything. From the front, they appear to be a solid color, with no stripes or trim, and multiple garish ads. They look like uniforms you'd get for a weekend basketball tournament where each team is randomly assigned a different color and is sponsored by the local car dealership.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

43 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Is that the old WNBA logo on their waistbands?  I like that font so much better than the bland one they're using now.

EVlg4gcWoAAw5iG?format=jpg&name=large

I miss the (relative) simplicity of the original uniforms...

spacer.png

I think having Liberty and the number in black and white across the front on the seafoam jersey would look really nice but of course with the ads you can't do that...

Archived