Edmonton CFL team rebrands as "Elks"

Sec19Row53

9 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Not a bad looking mascot, but I had to look up what it was. How many actual fans would be confused?

I mean, I doubt very many people would be confused about what an "elkhound" is when the team uses a dog logo.

Plus word association; if a "hound" = "hunting dog", "elkhound" would logically = "elk-hunting dog". Seems pretty easy for someone who, myself, hadn't heard of an elkhound before now.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Ridleylash said:

I mean, I doubt very many people would be confused about what an "elkhound" is when the team uses a dog logo.

I meant what one even looks like, other than in mascot form. I'd expect them to guess it's a dog. But if I use a very specific name for an animal, it's going to confuse some people. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

13 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Image result for elkhound north america

Not a bad looking mascot, but I had to look up what it was. How many actual fans would be confused?

Based on from what I've seen, a lot. Especially with the fact that Elk(s) has been so connected to this name change and this dog name is just adding another animal name to Elk.

I only know it's a specific dog breed from Reddit comments.

IbjBaeE.png

I like the idea of Elk, I just hate singular names, even if it's the proper grammar.

Eagles, as generic as it is, is my choice from the list.

I've been saying since day one, it should be Owls. Highly under-utilized in sports and the Great Horned Owl is the provincial bird of Alberta.

Just change the double E logo to a single E.

sig.png

I wonder how some of these grammar rules came to be.  Who decided that the plural of Elk is just Elk, when for most other things, an s designates plurality?  

Elks > Elk, but Elk > all those other choices.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Elk - clear #1

Evergreens - doesn't really make sense for the city of Edmonton and the current colour scheme

Evergolds - dumb and bad, also not a thing

Eclipse - dumb and bad

Elkhounds - It's a Norwegian dog, but I don't know about it as a team name. Kind of seems like someone started with Elk and then thought about the Tiger-Cats and Redblacks and said "we can do that too"

Eagles - I'd stay away from this because of Philadelphia and the fact that "Eagles" has become such a generic sports name

Elements - dumb and bad

Why doesn’t Evergreens make sense in the context of Edmonton? The city is full of evergreen trees. Is the Pacific Northwest the only place that gets to claim Evergreens?

5 minutes ago, Prince Harry said:

Why doesn’t Evergreens make sense in the context of Edmonton? The city is full of evergreen trees. Is the Pacific Northwest the only place that gets to claim Evergreens?

It's the change in the color green if they actually go with it. If they don't change the green, they aren't technically Evergreens. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

21 minutes ago, Prince Harry said:

Kind of, sort of yes.

Edmonton has evergreens, heck a lot of places have evergreens, but the evergreen tree isn't really seen as a symbol of places outside of the Pacific Northwest. I'm from Calgary and I go to university in Edmonton. Never once have I thought about Edmonton and thought "oh, the place with the evergreen trees".

15 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

It's the change in the color green if they actually go with it. If they don't change the green, they aren't technically Evergreens. 

That too. The colour scheme of green and gold, and the shade of green, doesn't fit with a team called the Evergreens.

Plus "The Green and Gold" is a historical and longtime nickname of the team, so I don't think it makes sense to now emphasize one colour over the other.

IbjBaeE.png

Here's my list with explanation

1. Elk - I can already imagine people showing up with huge elk antlers to games. I think that's fun.

2. Elkhounds - My buddy (who doesn't care for the CFL, just knows I like it) said Elkhounds sounds cool. Dog that eats Elks. Going to have to get rid of Nanook and replace him with a dog though.

3. Evergolds - I know a lot of people are upset that Eskimos is gone and I think that Evergolds kind of sounds the most like the old name.

4. Evergreens - Not a bad name, not a great one. I wouldn't be upset if they changed to it. Maybe a change of the colour scheme to more of an "Ever-Green".

5. Eagles - Can't support a team with the same name of a team from Philly.

6. Elements - Just not a fan man. Imagine the headlines when they lose. "Edmonton out of their Elements with this loss"

7. Eclipse - This is professional football team, not a twilight novel. 

Anyway, I hope they change to the drop shadow-less logo they keep using on social media.

That's just my take.

It's Me

Here's the order I had them on my submission:

1. Elk - At this point I'd be surprised if this isn't the name. You can't go wrong with an animal mascot, especially when it has a local connection.
  2. Elkhounds - I feel like dog mascots are underused in pro sports, and this actually rolls off the tongue a bit better than Elk. It doesn't have the same connection to Edmonton though.
  3. Evergreens - Not sure why people think their shade of green would need to change. As the league's most northern team, it would be fitting to go with trees that last through long winters. Still, a tree mascot isn't quite as appealing as an animal.
  4. Eagles - Not bad, but too generic. The fact that the NFL has a team called Eagles who use green as their primary colour doesn't help.
  5. Eclipse - As far as singular names go, it isn't the worst I've heard. The marketing-speak uses sound logic, but the bright green & gold colour scheme doesn't really fit a team named after the darkness.
  6. Evergolds - Seems like when they came up with Evergreens someone decided that they should throw this one in too in order to cover both of their colours. There's no such thing as an evergold though, so it's a no for me.
  7. Elements - Way too vague. Literally everything in the universe is made up of elements. 

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

Evergolds - Seems like when they came up with Evergreens someone decided that they should throw this one in too in order to cover both of their colours. There's no such thing as an evergold though, so it's a no for me.

I didn't know what it was either. Evergold is an "herbaceous evergreen perennial grass."

kWKzynx.jpg

To save everyone a few more clicks, here are YouTube videos the team made to go with each finalist name (though I don't know why they are videos; they remain static throughout with the text you can see in the thumbnail preview):

(Please don't quote all seven videos to respond to this post. If there's a specific one you want to comment on, edit the others out.)

They really could have just fast forwarded to "Touchdown _____".

And in that context, it's gotta be Elks, not Elk.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived