Edmonton CFL team rebrands as "Elks"

Sec19Row53

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, officeglenn said:

(This whole thread breaks down the new identity quite nicely.)

Oh man that antler football is an incredible logo. Might be my favorite part of this whole rebrand.

the user formerly known as cdclt

6 minutes ago, nuordr said:

The EE is clearly used on the black shirt with yellow letters in this picture. 

That's what they were getting at. I mistakenly posted that the Double-E's weren't seen anywhere in the reveal video nor in the merch and then they posted that picture with the Double-E's (which was even in my post saying the Double-E's weren't around anymore) in response to show they still are around.

IbjBaeE.png

Can't wait to see what they do with the uniforms. 

I love the added touch of reaching out to Oxford and the U of A to assist with the decision on going plural or not.  

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I'm a big fan of the name & logo, but I'm a little confused by the decision to minimize the EE logo's presence in the brand. I thought the whole point of limiting the name options to things starting with E was so that they could keep the logo.

If they were fine with coming up with a brand new logo they might as well have allowed for more diverse nickname options.

Anyone who thinks the EE is better than the elk horn is objectively wrong and I will brook no rebuttal.

However, I will hear any arguments regarding the sale of ears of corn at their games, so long as they market it as El Korn.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

2 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

I'm a big fan of the name & logo, but I'm a little confused by the decision to minimize the EE logo's presence in the brand. I thought the whole point of limiting the name options to things starting with E was so that they could keep the logo.

If they were fine with coming up with a brand new logo they might as well have allowed for more diverse nickname options.

I wouldn't be too surprised if the push back to the start of this season bought them more time to get a new logo complete thus not really needing to lean on the EE logo as a "transition logo" 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

2 minutes ago, Jer15 said:

Can't wait to see what they do with the uniforms. 

I love the added touch of reaching out to Oxford and the U of A to assist with the decision on going plural or not.  

The merch set-up still had the old jerseys, with the old Edmonton wordmark patch covering up the older Eskimos wordmark, so maybe the jerseys aren't going to be changing outside of maybe updating the wordmark.

I just finished at the UofA and took a linguistics course in my first year. Least favourite class I ever took.

IbjBaeE.png

1 minute ago, monkeypower said:

The merch set-up still had the old jerseys, with the old Edmonton wordmark patch covering up the older Eskimos wordmark, so maybe the jerseys aren't going to be changing outside of maybe updating the wordmark.

I was thinking more long term (2022) but maybe they will just keep the uniform for a while. 

6 minutes ago, Jer15 said:

I wouldn't be too surprised if the push back to the start of this season bought them more time to get a new logo complete thus not really needing to lean on the EE logo as a "transition logo" 

But I didn't think the plan was to use the EE as a transition logo. It seemed like they were tailoring the rebrand in a way that would allow them to keep the logo.

I don't have a problem with the horns on the helmet (although I think the execution could be better), but my whole point was, why limit the nickname options to EE acronyms if you're just going to ditch the logo?

19 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

The logo looks a lot better in two colors than three.

E2zyRdlVEAEnAji?format=jpg&name=large

I'm not sure I agree with that.

That's to say, I'm not sure I favor one over the other — i'm glad both exist. I think it shows the diversity and depth of the mark, and certainly helps in merchandising to have two very versatile variants of the logo. 

Personally, I'd say the two-color version makes me pause a minute before I realize what I'm looking at. The three-color version, though, seems much clearer to me. But I'm a dolt, so take that for what it's worth.

However, on a similar point, I think the antler helmet actually suffers from being only two colors. To me, it lacks dimension.  I'm generally a fan of simplifying everything, but I think the antler could actually use some help in this case. 

Archived