Ottawa Senators unveil primary logo, to unveil uniforms Oct. 6

crashcarson15

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Picture quality has improved so much since '92 that you could get away with red numbers on black today, at least on the backs. I don't think they will, though.

More than that, the change to white numbers was mainly because the play-by-play guys had a really hard time seeing red on black from way up in the press box.  They made frequent mistakes as a result and complained a lot.  TV advancements aren't really going to help them there. (Source: someone I know who worked the games for local TV back in the day).

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Webhamster said:

More than that, the change to white numbers was mainly because the play-by-play guys had a really hard time seeing red on black from way up in the press box.  They made frequent mistakes as a result and complained a lot.  TV advancements aren't really going to help them there. (Source: someone I know who worked the games for local TV back in the day).

True, but consider we might still have guys calling games exclusively off monitors next year or forever.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

11 hours ago, TBGKon said:

Its pretty standard to include Sept-Dec of the previous year....this is nothing new.

Seriously? I've never seen something like that in my life. I saw From December of the previous year to Feburay of after next year on a three part calendar but from September to December (Senators ones look like a normal calendar to me)? Nope. Good to know about that.

4r2eer.png

No, seriously. If the Red Wings can have Mickey Redmond call the road games from home, then they don't have to have a substitute color guy. TSN can have their whole crew work the Leafs, Habs, and Sens games out of a studio in Toronto and not have to send them back and forth. Some teams (I am staring directly at the Panthers and Coyotes) may stop sending extraneous radio crews altogether and have them call the games off TV, or just fire them.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

22 hours ago, Corvus said:

A shame there's no gold incorporated in the striping on the arms or hem. 

I've been thinking the same thing. Nice job returning to the 2D logo, but the jersey itself was just an afterthought. Very lazy IMO. Almost like they didn't want to screw it up, so they just kept it way too simple. 

The jersey doesn't need gold incorporated into the striping.  The difference in crest and jersey materials almost always leads to a discrepancy in metallic shades so I'm glad they left it off.

The previous jersey not including any gold on its shoulder patches was lazy.  Made it look like the =O= was just slapped on as an afterthought.

1 minute ago, Morgan33 said:

The jersey doesn't need gold incorporated into the striping.  The difference in crest and jersey materials almost always leads to discrepancy in metallic shades so I'm glad they left it off.

I think Vegas' use of gold in the crest and sleeves shows that the different textiles can be matched better than in years past. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

6 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I think Vegas' use of gold in the crest and sleeves shows that the different textiles can be matched better than in years past. 

That's true.  But keeping gold restrained to the logos really made them stand out.  And having the striping consist of just Red, Black and White gives a nod to the Silver-Seven without going the barber-pole route.

White is a better option since there's historical precedent for this design to have white. If they're trying to go back to what will please the fans, they could easily get away with going back to the late 90's jerseys because that's the set the team was wearing when they upset the Devils and started to become a really competitive team.

The pure black-and-red is Yashin-era not-good Sens.

8 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

I think the decision to omit white was influenced by recent trends, though I could be reading too much into it.

Drbjzam.jpg

Those are all alternates, plus Buffalo added white stripes to the new unis. 

It is interesting that adidas added white to the Buffalo stripes because the crest had a lot of white, but they refrained from adding gold stripes or accents to the Sens jersey even though the new Sens crest is very gold-heavy. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 minute ago, WSU151 said:

Those are all alternates, plus Buffalo added white stripes to the new unis. 

It is interesting that adidas added white to the Buffalo stripes because the crest had a lot of white, but they refrained from adding gold stripes or accents to the Sens jersey even though the new Sens crest is very gold-heavy. 

Well both of those decisions were probably team based, rather than adidas. Adidas could have done anything, but the team probably just wanted to return to the original design. Buffalo’s decision was also from the team if I remember correctly. 

If anything, that proves that the Senators don’t feel like taking time to create new sweaters or anything like that, but rather just toss something out for people to “enjoy”...

Also the Canucks alternate logo is absolutely beautiful on a jersey, but that particular jersey just NEEDS white in the striping. I’m still so surprised that the team wanted the double green without white...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Archived