Ottawa Senators unveil primary logo, to unveil uniforms Oct. 6

crashcarson15

1 hour ago, daniel75 said:

The rendering of the face yes, but everything else in the left logo looks better imo.

The thing that really bugs me about the original is how comically large the plume/mane on the helmet is. The new one is much more realistic in the proportion of that.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Disagree strongly on that; the left logo looks like an 80's-early 90's logo in all the worst ways. The lines are too thinly-weighted, there's elements that are left floating for no real reason that the update corrects (the plume of the helmet) and it's pretty basic in terms of detail. Obviously too much detail hurts a logo, but too little can also be an issue.

The only element I think it has over the update is the wings, and those can be added on without much hassle.

I don't understand the argument for why a logo needs to include real life specific elements into the design. A logo is an artistic depiction of an abstract idea, why on earth does it matter if the plume is not connected to the helmet? it's pretty funny how this seems to be such an important issue to so many people in regards to the Senator logo. Above all else when it comes to design, is the issue of balance, contrast and detail. You are allowed to take artistic liberties for the sake of the overal aesthetic of a logo. Have you ever heard of minimalism? What happens when you see minimalist logo design that omits much more than, in this instance, just the peice of helmet that connects it to the plume? I don't understand the problem, honestly.

The updated logo feels too heavy and lacks the finnese and elegant flourishes that give the old logo a classic quality.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

15 minutes ago, Bayne said:

I don't understand the argument for why a logo needs to include real life specific elements into the design. A logo is an artistic depiction of an abstract idea, why on earth does it matter if the plume is not connected to the helmet? it's pretty funny how this seems to be such an important issue to so many people in regards to the Senator logo. Above all else when it comes to design, is the issue of balance, contrast and detail. You are allowed to take artistic liberties for the sake of the overal aesthetic of a logo. Have you ever heard of minimalism? What happens when you see minimalist logo design that omits much more than, in this instance, just the peice of helmet that connects it to the plume? I don't understand the problem, honestly.

The updated logo feels too heavy and lacks the finnese and elegant flourishes that give the old logo a classic quality.

It's not trying to be any more minimalist than the more modern version though, it looks unbalanced because the enormous plume is floating off to the left. It reads really strangely without something connecting it. The line weighting is a product of it's time and unsuited to modern use. 

The modern version captures the same spirit in a much cleaner, more balanced and easier to read way. The only thing the old logo has going for it is nostalgia value.

16 minutes ago, El Scorcho said:

It's not trying to be any more minimalist than the more modern version though, it looks unbalanced because the enormous plume is floating off to the left. It reads really strangely without something connecting it. The line weighting is a product of it's time and unsuited to modern use. 

The modern version captures the same spirit in a much cleaner, more balanced and easier to read way. The only thing the old logo has going for it is nostalgia value.

I was using the minimalist example as a way to emphasise a point. I don't think the original is trying to be more minimalist than the updated version obviously, but it does contain one less element of detail...and it has never personally stood out to me as being a problem. In fact I never really took notice of it. Sure it's an exaggerated plume, but so what. It's expressive - it's not an accurate 1/1 representation. It's a logo.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Very happy the old design is coming back - as a lifelong Sens fan, it was always my favourite.

Would have been nice to give it a more modern finish (keep the design, just redo it a bit), but I won't complain. The fact that my all-time favourite black home jerseys are back is icing on the cake, hope they stick with the "O" on a nice red third jersey and you got a perfect set there.

17 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Disagree strongly on that; the left logo looks like an 80's-early 90's logo in all the worst ways. The lines are too thinly-weighted, there's elements that are left floating for no real reason that the update corrects (the plume of the helmet) and it's pretty basic in terms of detail. Obviously too much detail hurts a logo, but too little can also be an issue.

The only element I think it has over the update is the wings, and those can be added on without much hassle.

I can get with that, it’s mainly the wings that I like.

20 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

The thing that really bugs me about the original is how comically large the plume/mane on the helmet is. The new one is much more realistic in the proportion of that.

If the plume is going to be the only red element in the logo I'd prefer it be bigger.

Thicker collars are ubiquitous on NHL jerseys, especially if they're two -color (look at the LA Kings 80s/90s throwback).

While I'm pretty sure the Sens jerseys will look like those...that DHGate listing isn't using official graphics (no adidas branding on the back neck), rather just photoshop jobs of the usual adidas authentic presentation. Nothing is really new, either...it's all based on what's been reported. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

This was such a missed opportunity to use the modern Roman Senator logo that has been sitting on the bench for the past decade plus. I am glad to see that the Senator has a red outlined robe, instead of the golden one that was seen on the initial leak. Also, the oversized "S" logo reminiscent of the Sheraton Hotels logo was never my favorite, would have much rather preferred either the =O= logo, the parliament building logo, or an entirely new design. 

156.png1200px-Sheraton_Hotels.svg_.png

31 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Guh, these really highlight my biggest problem with the current Adidas collar treatment; collar trim gets unnecessarily cut off because of the big block of nothingness that the NHL logo rests on. The sooner those Winter Classic collars are standardized as uniform elements so we can get unbroken collar striping back, the better.

The color hierarchy on the jersey collars is also weird; the original black jersey's collar is completely red, not black with red trim, and the white counterpart is red with black trim. That seems like a weird thing to change if your rebrand is basically just an undo button, and I much prefer how it was on the originals over this; these have a bit too much black for my tastes, especially on the dark jersey.

2 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Guh, these really highlight my biggest problem with the current Adidas collar treatment; collar trim gets unnecessarily cut off because of the big block of nothingness that the NHL logo rests on. The sooner those Winter Classic collars are standardized as uniform elements so we can get unbroken collar striping back, the better.

The color hierarchy on the jersey collars is also weird; the original black jersey's collar is completely red, not black with red trim, and the white counterpart is red with black trim. That seems like a weird thing to change if your rebrand is basically just an undo button, and I much prefer how it was on the originals over this; these have a bit too much black for my tastes, especially on the dark jersey.

I think most teams have realized that the extra thick collars don't look good unless they're connected to a yoke, so we're starting to see them phased out. The Canes' away & Whaler throwback, the Sabres' 50th anniversary jersey, the Flames' throwbacks, the Blues' inaugural throwback, and the Jets' alternate all limit colour to the thin inner collar. Seattle isn't even going to have any contrasting collar.

I also realized that the font on this alleged leak is the current block, which is slightly different from the original look. We'll have to see if they decide to go back to the old font or not. 

13 hours ago, IceCap said:

...what?

I believe it was DHGate that leaked the Lakers update in 2018...but I think it was a t-shirt or a hoody or something.

But yeah...the knockoff sites are largely unreliable and pretty much design stuff around internet rumors.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived