Buffalo Sabres Return to Royal, Unveil New Logo and Uniforms

Echo

1 hour ago, M4One said:

The white stripes are fine.  I don't think they are necessary, but their inclusion isn't the end of the world, either.  More than the logo, the white stripes help in justifying the white outline on the numbers.

That’s my biggest problem with them, because the white outline on the numbers muddies an otherwise-perfect color scheme. 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

That’s my biggest problem with them, because the white outline on the numbers muddies an otherwise-perfect color scheme. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Eeh. I don't really care for the outlineless one; the entire point of these is to be as accurate to the retros as possible while "modernizing" them, and the retros had white outlines on their NOB. Plus, I feel like having the white outlines helps with the weight of the block and carries the color throughout the jersey better. Single-color block tends to work best on teams with a very limited palette; your Leafs, Red Wings and such. Teams like the Habs and Sabres should probably have outlined NOBs.

My biggest issue with the blue jersey is that instead of just taking the outer stripes and turning them white to mirror the white jersey's color layout, they instead, for some baffling reason, decided to the best course of action was to just...add unnecessary extra white stripes just inside of the blue space?. It seems like a desperate attempt to cling to that stupid gray stripe from the navy jerseys, a design element I've never heard anybody praising;

spacer.png

The rest of it is perfect, but the Sabres being the Sabres, they just had to botch it for me somehow.

A blue jersey that doesn't rely on white, that has a strong contrast between two colours, is a winner to me. They would have looked better without the white stripe. Bold, clean and mean. No white lightening the jersey up - it makes it look slightly unsure of itself. I just feel like that jersey could have been great without it. It drags it down 10-20% IMO.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

14 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Never had a problem with the white number outline to go with the whiteless gold stripes. White is one of the Sabres' colours. The LA Kings original purple uniforms didn't have any white on the stripes but had white number bordering and white wasn't their light sweater base colour. When the Canucks went from home yellow-gold to white, there was no white on their black uniforms except for the white outline around their number font.

Teams should take care when putting white and gold next to each other; there's a reason that's a heraldic no-no.  They blend at distance and muddy the crisp border between (in this case) blue and gold.  

There's a reason they don't have the white outline around their NOB - it would make the names less legible.  The numbers are larger, so that's less of a concern.  The numbers aren't illegible, but they are just a bit muddier.  The outline just isn't necessary, and it gets in the way of the beautiful color scheme, those two gorgeous colors directly interacting with each other.

cut.png

Now, is this a major issue?  No.  But it's the difference between a solid "A" and an "A+".

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Teams should take care when putting white and gold next to each other; there's a reason that's a heraldic no-no.  They blend at distance and muddy the crisp border between (in this case) blue and gold.  

That's usually true, but maybe it's just because of the shade of yellow, but I think it's fine here.  I think the white adds to the balance, and I wouldn't support a single-color option.

Another way to do it would be with a blue outline separating the yellow from white (like the old SD Chargers) and while on a hockey jersey it's not that big a deal, I don't think the touching of white and yellow creates an issue worth that kind of solution.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think the white striping feels unnecessary. It kinda ruins a great jersey. But I’m don’t mind it. Least they finally listened their fans wanted the royal blue look back. Although I don’t like the road’s mismatched striping. Should’ve switched the hem striping colours like (blue/yellow/blue) to match the sleeve striping. 

But It’s so close. I loved about they carried the detailed bison from the 50th anniversary jersey. Not only it’s beautifully designed and unique, but it’s tricker for ripoff companies pull it off. I think it’s genius. I wanna see more detailed NHL logos like Flames’s C logo with detailed flaming. It’ll probably look cool!

FyVfBOy.png

Sc4Eo24.png

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Another way to do it would be with a blue outline separating the yellow from white (like the old SD Chargers) and while on a hockey jersey it's not that big a deal, I don't think the touching of white and yellow creates an issue worth that kind of solution.

Now we're getting too fancy. The other appeal of the single-color numbers is that it's appropriately no-nonsense for Buffalo. It would keep them separate from the Blues and their three-layer numbers (or would have back before the Blues ruined their numbers by making them white :/). 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

9 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Now we're getting too fancy. The other appeal of the single-color numbers is that it's appropriately no-nonsense for Buffalo. It would keep them separate from the Blues and their three-layer numbers (or would have back before the Blues ruined their numbers by making them white :/). 

Yeah - no-nonsense blue-collar numbers.  Numbers the dock workers and steel workers would be proud to wear.

Nah - single-color numbers don't work in hockey unless you only have a single color to work with.  It's not like football where I think most teams could pull it off if done correctly.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

As a kid it always bothered me that the (then) eoad jersey had no whit when the (then) home did.  They finally fixed it and it is thin to mirror the thin white outline of the numbers...  Teenage me approves!!!

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

5 hours ago, SHaMROCK said:

As a kid it always bothered me that the (then) eoad jersey had no whit when the (then) home did.  They finally fixed it and it is thin to mirror the thin white outline of the numbers...  Teenage me approves!!!

Well teenage you was wrong

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, kiwi_canadian said:

My only complaint is that the collars on the home jersey should be yellow. I think it would balance it out a bit better. Other than that, these look really good and the Sabres finally did something right. Lets hope their on ice product gets better.

That’s something I’m glad they did for now. Once the adidas collars get fixed, I’d imagine they’ll switch back to yellow collars. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

16 minutes ago, kiwi_canadian said:

My only complaint is that the collars on the home jersey should be yellow. I think it would balance it out a bit better. Other than that, these look really good and the Sabres finally did something right. Lets hope their on ice product gets better.

That’s a problem with adidas making horribly designed collars

The minimal white outlines in the yellow striping are starting to grow on me. They wanted to add white without going overboard and this is one of the least worst ways to add it. They wanted the jersey to pop more, instead of having the short & uni stripes be pretty much exactly the same.

This is definitely the best the Sabres have ever looked.

On 8/13/2020 at 4:21 AM, the admiral said:

The next step is to go back to using "Sabre Dance" for the goal song. Why would it ever be anything else?

My one problem with "Sabre Dance" is that a few years back, I came across an AskReddit thread about which song would be the most inappropriate to have sex to, and "Sabre Dance" was one of the suggestions that had me in tears at the office, unable to tell anyone why I'm in hysterics because this familiar piece of music now immediately puts a visual in my mind of two people frantically banging to keep pace with the circus-like sweeps of the orchestra.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived