MLB 2021

SportsLogos.Net News

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Gothamite said:

You sell more jerseys if fans can't re-use them for new players. 

But didn't the replicas always have NOB regardless?  The Yankees do so I just assumed the Giants did as well.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

50 minutes ago, SCalderwood said:

A tribute to baseball managers wearing uniforms...

R.I.P. Tommy Lasorda

1mAkHX7h.jpg    5e330c841267c43aec1504089e9cb1fc.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 hours ago, DiePerske said:

Camo should only be word in combat.

This included those stationed in the US in the "shouldn't be wearing camo" category.

Disagree on the second part. As someone in the military it’s so much easier to throw on OCP’s than to put together our class A’s and B’s. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Probably.  But the Authentics didn’t, and that’s the sweetest plum. 

The cynic in me says that this has to be a Nike idea, since the price of 'authentics' jumped to something like $350 under Nike so anyone with their Majestic ones would "have" to buy a Nike one now.

But on the other hand... the only reason to get an 'authentic' before (other than if you collect) was to not have the NOB, so if anything, this makes the replicas a more attractive option to the authentic.  Maybe they felt people weren't buying home replicas because they had the NOB, so now they'll sell more?  IDK, but I don't think for a second this was an aesthetics-based decision.

Well, the replicas don’t have patches, either.  And the piping doesn’t always match that well. There are pretty clear identifiers, even people who don’t necessarily haunt these boards can sometimes “feel” the difference.  The replicas are deliberately downscaled.

13 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Pretty soon they'll start issuing rank stripes/insignia to players based on seniority with the club.

Dangit if I don't want to see some epaulets on next year's jersey after hearing you say that.

9 hours ago, the admiral said:

The camouflage hats are hideous, and using MARPAT, which I don't think you're technically allowed to use, would make them even worse. We must say no to Army LARPing in all its forms, from creepy paramilitaries to stupid baseball promotions.

Weren't the Padres' military unis MARPAT?   Did they get access due to their special relationship with the Marines?

5 hours ago, DiePerske said:

If i was a fan of the evil empire(barf), i'd just get a jersey with 18 on it(my favorite number) and be happy with whoever was wearing the number

Red Ruffing, Don Larsen, Mariano Duncan, Scott Brosius, Johnny Damon, Didi Gregorius, and Rougned Odor.   Not bad.

spacer.png

spacer.png

10 hours ago, the admiral said:

I'd feel like a schmuck if I were dressed for combat while waiting in line to board Spirit Airlines but that's just me!

I and most of the military don’t feel that way unless we have all our combat gear. Without it it’s just our garrison uniform for the most part. I’d feel like more of a schmuck wearing all the insignia and medals that come with wearing the class A’s and B’s, and don’t forget the hats that go with them. You spend more time thinking about not getting it messed up and putting it together than you do actual work.

7 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Weren't the Padres' military unis MARPAT?   Did they get access due to their special relationship with the Marines?

They were -- they're now NWU, which is technically a MARPAT variant. And there's no issue using MARPAT, CADPAT (the Canadian pattern that MARPAT is based off of) is not available to the public, so whenever MLB has used it, they've used a facsimile. Operational Camouflage Pattern (OCP) is a modified version of Multicam, which is actually its own company and owns a trademark on the pattern, so MLB/New Era would have to pay a licensing fee. Multicam is in current use by the Army/Air Force/Space Force and I believe Coast Guard. Australian Multicam and Multi-Terrain Pattern are also similar, used by the Aussies and Brits, respectively.

Anubis.png

21 hours ago, Anubis2051 said:

God, now MLB can't even spring for a real camo pattern? This is like the Gap's generic camo shorts pattern....

For the record, here are the currently used patterns by the US Military:

Multicam Family

spacer.png

MARPAT Family

spacer.png

That pattern isn't even the M81 Woodland camo from the 80s and 90s!

spacer.png

Guess MLB/New Era couldn't be bothered to spend the money to license a pattern, or at least even try and fake it....

Multicam patterns are patented. It bit the Army in the backside when they decided not to use the pattern the Marines eventually went with. As a result the Army rolled out the ACU pattern, which everyone's made fun of for years, before replacing it with ACP. This may not be about being cheap, but they just can't use it without getting blessed by the Department of Defense. The Padres seemed to be the lone MLB team that got that blessing, using versions of Navy and Marine MARPAT patterns, but other than the academies, most teams attempts look more like someone made a jersey out of hunting gear. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

20 hours ago, tp49 said:

Because you know people can't or don't want to look up the roster on their phone in the "most connected park" in MLB.  Since the change in 2000 the Giants have actively looked for any and every way possible to muck up their aesthetic. 

As a die hard fan of my team I feel ashamed of myself if I can't identify a player by face and/or number but at the same time I can't expect the same level of knowledge and commitment to the team for every fan at a game so I'm not cool with this idea that fans are too lazy to look up the roster on their phone. Do you expect people to do that after every pitching change or other substitution? That's silly. If I'm casually at a game with my family I just wanna look at the field and know what's happening without having to whip out my phone and google things so I can see how NOB does help the casual fans. Not everything has to cater to die hard fans.

23 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

As a die hard fan of my team I feel ashamed of myself if I can't identify a player by face and/or number but at the same time I can't expect the same level of knowledge and commitment to the team for every fan at a game so I'm not cool with this idea that fans are too lazy to look up the roster on their phone. Do you expect people to do that after every pitching change or other substitution? That's silly. If I'm casually at a game with my family I just wanna look at the field and know what's happening without having to whip out my phone and google things so I can see how NOB does help the casual fans. Not everything has to cater to die hard fans.

Considering that it’s shown on the screens all around the stadium, and displayed on TV at home I really don’t see how anyone could have that issue.

16 minutes ago, dont care said:

Considering that it’s shown on the screens all around the stadium, and displayed on TV at home I really don’t see how anyone could have that issue.

Especially when the ballpark posts lineups on the video screen

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived