MLB 2021

SportsLogos.Net News

No names on the back of jerseys is a tradition that shouldn’t exist. The idea is stupid. Just because “it’s the way it is” doesn’t make it any good. I use names and numbers to identify players even if I am dedicated to the sports I watch. It’s important for the viewer, the stat keepers and the broadcasters. You came all this way to the year 2021, put the team name and number on the jersey but can’t put the name? C’mon man.

Babe Ruth played many games wearing a totally blank uniform, nothing was on it aside from the number and pinstripes I believe, no wordmark or logos. Imagine how ridiculous that would be now.  A unique look for 1929 but a bad idea for today.

Call me nuts but that’s just my dumb two cents.

bSLCtu2.png

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, phutmasterflex said:

If I don't know which player wears what number I look up at the board. Then I am going to remember that that player wears #38. Then that's it. I'm good for the rest of the game. 

Unless it's 42. Then you got a problem 🙂

It's where I sit.

5 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Do you expect people to do that after every pitching change or other substitution? That's silly.

Isn't this exactly why they've always sold programs and scorecards?

I agree "that's the way its always been done" is weak by itself. But literally every ballpark nowadays has a giant video board for this exact reason. Also, aren't NOBs just ultimately a waste of material? 

I dunno... I've just always preferred NNOB. The cleaner look just says "baseball" to me.

7 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

As a die hard fan of my team I feel ashamed of myself if I can't identify a player by face and/or number but at the same time I can't expect the same level of knowledge and commitment to the team for every fan at a game so I'm not cool with this idea that fans are too lazy to look up the roster on their phone. Do you expect people to do that after every pitching change or other substitution? That's silly. If I'm casually at a game with my family I just wanna look at the field and know what's happening without having to whip out my phone and google things so I can see how NOB does help the casual fans. Not everything has to cater to die hard fans.

This is a bit disingenuous don't you think considering that as others have stated they plaster the lineups on the video board, and I don't know if you've looked lately but at most games the majority of people aren't really paying attention to the field because they're glued to their phone.  They can either look up at the board or down at their already out phone.  Besides it's not like someone past the first few rows can actually see the NOB so for the large majority of people in the stadium your argument doesn't hold up.

6 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

No names on the back of jerseys is a tradition that shouldn’t exist. The idea is stupid. Just because “it’s the way it is” doesn’t make it any good. I use names and numbers to identify players even if I am dedicated to the sports I watch. It’s important for the viewer, the stat keepers and the broadcasters. You came all this way to the year 2021, put the team name and number on the jersey but can’t put the name? C’mon man.

Honestly, I don't know a lot of numbers people wear because I identify people from the way they look.   Until I did that deep dive on the number 18 yesterday I didn't know Didi's number despite him being the heart of the team for several years because... I just saw Didi in the uniform and knew it was Didi and didn't really pay attention to what number he was wearing.   It's pretty east to tell everyone apart by body type and face and skin pigmentation.   Opening lineups and walk-up introductions/board graphics make it pretty clear who's at which position.   I suppose I get extra insurance in that respect, but still.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Speaking of camo -- Caught a few minutes of the Pirates game last night and noticed something. Remember how a few years ago they inexplicably added the 2018 Memorial Day uniforms to the rotation? Well they're still wearing them. Only one catch - The five stars were supposed to represent the five branches of the US military - however, since the end of 2019, there are now six branches of the military with the addition of the space force. So an already lazy alternate got even lazier. 

spacer.png

Anubis.png

On 4/29/2021 at 7:10 PM, Anubis2051 said:

Speaking of camo -- Caught a few minutes of the Pirates game last night and noticed something. Remember how a few years ago they inexplicably added the 2018 Memorial Day uniforms to the rotation? Well they're still wearing them. Only one catch - The five stars were supposed to represent the five branches of the US military - however, since the end of 2019, there are now six branches of the military with the addition of the space force. So an already lazy alternate got even lazier. 

spacer.png

If they're not ordering new caps this year I'm not surprised they wouldn't have 6 stars. Some people also think they're still part of the Air Force.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

If they're not ordering new caps this year I'm not surprised they wouldn't have 6 stars. Some people also think they're still part of the Air Force.

If they're a part of the Air Force, then the Marines are part of the Navy

Anubis.png

1 hour ago, Anubis2051 said:

If they're a part of the Air Force, then the Marines are part of the Navy

People think they are. They aren't in reality but they do borrow a lot of Air Force property until they're fully up and running. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 4/29/2021 at 7:10 PM, Anubis2051 said:

spacer.png

The space force is represented by the space of the entire uniform. The space in-which the stars exist. This is backed up by science. Hard science. 

3 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

We should end the practice of military propaganda tribute uniforms. The best we've ever gotten were from the Army-Navy game, pretty much every other attempt has been forced, drab, and ugly.

Wonder how much of it is camo-as-fashion and how much is “support the troops at any cost”, I’m sure it’s some of both.

Otherwise wouldn’t it make sense after the past year to pay tribute to others who serve the public— medical staff, EMTs, teachers, Instacart drivers dropping groceries off.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

The O should not only be in the rotation, it should be their primary cap logo.  

I'm not an A's fan but I basically live in the Bay Area and I can honestly say I don't want to ever see them not have A's on a primary hat. I find it hard to believe people around here would be okay with that. Alternate? Sure but it never should be a primary hat, the A's hat and the SF hat are basically the California version of the Yankees hat, you can't mess with that.

bSLCtu2.png

Archived