Super Bowl LVI logo (...and the future of the standardized system)

29texan

33 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Except that the trophy is instantly recognizable and iconic.

It would be malpractice NOT to incorporate the trophy.

Eh...I don’t know about that. The name “Super Bowl” in and of itself is instantly recognizable and has branding clout that, by now, has reached most of the world. It’s the only event that uses the name, unlike “Finals” or “Championship” that could be applied to multiple events. Roman numerals are also strongly associated with the game, whereas other major sporting events tend to use years. So, I’d argue that the Super Bowl already has what it needs to be instantly recognizable in the name itself, aided even more by Roman numerals, and I don’t think it needs the trophy to communicate what it is at all.

Now, I’m not entirely opposed to its inclusion if it can be added in a creative and functional way in which it 1) doesn’t read as a Roman numeral and 2) doesn’t create awkward shapes like XLV and similar ones did. However, given the clout the name itself carries, I really don’t think it needs it and is certainly not malpractice to leave it out. There have been plenty of past Super Bowl logos that have served the event very well without it, in my opinion.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look, we've seen examples that you CAN have a "standardized system" AND still be different and creative... 

253694612016.gif253613212017.gif253718842016.gif253762882017.gif253732182019.gif

So there's no excuse. The NFL is just being lazy with these current Super Bowl logos and now, even facebook meme pages are calling it out.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

2 hours ago, jc... said:

We went 44 years without the trophy in the logo. People still knew what the trophy looked like. 

On the other hand, if we have 55 totally unique logos, the ability to instantly recognize the game from a jersey patch becomes harder since there's just so many.

I like the consistency year after year, and how the players are fighting for the privilege of wearing the silver Lombardi patch on their jerseys.  I think the "system" patches are classier than the tacky pre-system "local" logos.

Case in point.   I know it's the "Super Bowl" - I don't need a patch to say that really small.  Just show me which game and the trophy to make it special.  

FUU64VPGIRGNBK2JJHIQMGGRNA.jpg usa_today_10598617.0.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 minutes ago, BBTV said:

On the other hand, if we have 55 totally unique logos, the ability to instantly recognize the game from a jersey patch becomes harder since there's just so many.

I like the consistency year after year, and how the players are fighting for the privilege of wearing the silver Lombardi patch on their jerseys.  I think the "system" patches are classier than the tacky pre-system "local" logos.

Case in point.   I know it's the "Super Bowl" - I don't need a patch to say that really small.  Just show me which game and the trophy to make it special.  

usa_today_10598617.0.jpg

There you go -- you need to have serifs in the numerals on the SB system logo. That looks like LII and not LIII. 

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

6 minutes ago, BBTV said:

That's a contradiction. Just my opinion. 

iq5b7nF.png

Yeah, I’m of the belief that unique patches actually help determine which game is which. 

Case in point, the context of a team/player with multiple Super Bowl appearances:

spacer.png

vs.

spacer.png

It’s probably the history nerd in me, but I like things that help me quickly identify setting and time when combing through history. These two patches, each being unique from each other in every way other than saying “Super Bowl”, help me very quickly determine which Super Bowl each picture’s from, despite the lack of a captured “moment”, clear evidence of locale, opponent, or other identifiers.

Yes, the current system does apply some variance to each logo due to different Roman numerals and color trim and such, but given that the trophy messes with the readability and clear communication of the Roman numerals, each patch is silver-dominant with color trim that is not always distinctive, and the overall patch more or less fills the same shape, it takes a closer look at times to better determine which Super Bowl is which when looking at pictures and such. 

This of course is all just my opinion, but I just feel the current template system is flawed in design and function on more than a few levels.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

36 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I like the consistency year after year, and how the players are fighting for the privilege of wearing the silver Lombardi patch on their jerseys

This is me just spitballing, but I don't think the players are fighting for the privilege of wearing the patch on the jerseys. They're fighting to win the damn trophy for their team. Wearing the patch means that they got to play the game, but not necessarily that they won it.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Except that the trophy is instantly recognizable and iconic.

It would be malpractice NOT to incorporate the trophy.

I think having the trophy can work, but there needs to be an application that allows local landmarks to have a place as well. The NCAA Final Four does this, minus the trophy at times.

Image result for ncaa final four logo

Image result for ncaa final four logoImage result for ncaa final four logoImage result for ncaa final four logoImage result for ncaa final four logo

Imagine something like this for New Orleans with the trophy in the middle of the fluer de lis, and something else replacing the basketball. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

12 hours ago, zigbazah said:

Looking at the logo for the last Super Bowl held in LA and comparing it to the logo in the OP makes me genuinely sad. 

1200px-Super-Bowl-XXVII-Logo-svg.png

That brings back memories of Don Beebe chasing down Leon Lett.

I saw, I came, I left.

I go back and forth on this topic.

On one hand, I can instantly tell that the logo above (XXVII) was for a game played at the Rose Bowl, though I was just two years old so I can't tell you who played in it. I also can tell you where the games were played and who the opponent was based upon the Brady photos above (win over the St. Louis Rams in New Orleans and loss to the New York Giants in Arizona). It's just instant recognition because they're so unique. 

On the other, I love the idea of something standardized and focused on the Lombardi Trophy. I'd almost like it to be a standalone thing, kind of like the NBA Finals did for several years in the early-2000s. But that said, I do think the addition of the stadium (as we saw in XLV-XLIX, as well as 50, though that was obvious for the larger number) made it both unique and consistent, whereas the most recent logos with the trophy and numerals almost make LI-LV almost indistinguishable from one another. I can pretty much only tell you who played in what game and where it was because they're recent, which is why the standalone Lombardi Trophy wouldn't work, either.

3 hours ago, jc... said:

That's a contradiction. Just my opinion. 

Not really.  At some point, you just can't remember all the themes.  Which teams were in Super Bowl Car Door?  Super Bowl Odometer?  Super Bowl Rose (or was it the other Super Bowl Rose)?  When there's 55+ of these, it just gets to be too much, and the numbers aren't super readable in most of them in patch form.  I like seeing a game photo and instantly knowing it's from Super Bowl LII (where the Philadelphia Eagles defeated Tom Brady to become Super Bowl Champions).

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

38 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Not really.  At some point, you just can't remember all the themes.  Which teams were in Super Bowl Car Door?  Super Bowl Odometer?  Super Bowl Rose (or was it the other Super Bowl Rose)?  When there's 55+ of these, it just gets to be too much, and the numbers aren't super readable in most of them in patch form.  I like seeing a game photo and instantly knowing it's from Super Bowl LII (where the Philadelphia Eagles defeated Tom Brady to become Super Bowl Champions).

How would 55 logos that all practically look the same be easier to distinguish than unique logos? 

Also, isn't "Super Bowl Rose" easier to remember than a handful of Roman numerals? 

Archived