Super Bowl LVI logo (...and the future of the standardized system)

29texan

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt that the logo on the jersey patch would have color to it, but the placement of the trophy should alleviate the confusion of this year.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

32 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I didn't see the palm trees at first and thought it was just fire (or, worse, wildfire).

Actually, to that point, they should probably change the colors. Folks on the east coast don't have an appreciation for how devastating and now how frequent summer wildfire season is. Every year we lose acres and acres of forest and animals, and we can't safely walk outside for like three weeks. 

Sorry to go there, but not sure invoking an annual natural disaster that affects California specifically is such a good idea.

I don’t think that’s what they’re going for, and only you made that connection.

12 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I doubt that the logo on the jersey patch would have color to it, but the placement of the trophy should alleviate the confusion of this year.

Why wouldn’t it have the colors on it? The past 5 Super Bowls have had the color drop shadows and “Super Bowl”

1 minute ago, dont care said:

Why wouldn’t it have the colors on it? The past 5 Super Bowls have had the color drop shadows and “Super Bowl”

I meant the letters.  There would be some color, I just don't think the patch version would look like what has been shown so far.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, dont care said:

I don't think that's what they were going for -- obviously, that would be insane -- but no, I doubt I'm only person to make that connection.

A couple months ago I had a client ask me to replace a photo of a sunset with something clear day because it reminded them of orange skies during wildfire season. It's a real feeling out here.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Alright, I don't usually comment on News or Sports in General anymore because these parts of the boards are just a cesspool of opinions fighting to be the loudest just like most of the rest of the Internet, but a couple things:

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

I doubt that the logo on the jersey patch would have color to it

Every Super Bowl jersey patch since the jersey patch was introduced in XXV then brought back for good in XXXII has had color to it, I'd expect no difference here.  There's the logo on black and the logo on white in this thread, and there was no difference; I highly doubt if the Chiefs or Bucs make it back that they would produce a logo with white letters.  The most that would be done is adding a stroke around the whole thing like in XLIV or on NFLShop LV jerseys:

sm1ijf0zmwvrxdbat1ez

ff_4184922-07969a8e42ceafa398c7alt2_full

3 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I didn't see the palm trees at first and thought it was just fire (or, worse, wildfire).

2 hours ago, dont care said:

I have no connection to California at all, but with the crapshoot that is 2020 to present and the yearly reoccurrence of "generational" wildfires, I don't see how you couldn't make that connection.  Some may see it as a stretch, but the fact that even one person made the connection to diminish a joyous event is a legitimate problem.

58 minutes ago, Pharos04 said:

Guess my only question about it is:

are the letters transparent or reflective?

If reflective why do we see the trophy through the L.

if transparent, how do we see the palm trees?

I'd say it's similar to glass, in that it's transparent but also has a reflection.  Or, it could be stained glass I suppose.

Standardized vs. Unique:

I am aware that I am but a child compared to most people on these here boards, but I absolutely prefer to have the logo be a celebration of the host city and a representation of a festive moment, rather than a cold, corporate regurgitation of Roman numerals and the trophy.  Splashes of color from the past few seasons have only introduced hints of joy, while LVI at least made a bigger stride to toss in some local flavor.  I think LVI is moving in the right direction, but there is, of course, a while away until the Super Bowl logo gets back to being exciting.

Font Choice:

This is the first time since XXXIX that Orbit/Endzone Tech or Endzone Slab has not been present in the logo.  Font choice is a fantastic first step in going towards a more personalized logo.  Granted, the font LVI used is an even more generic sans serif, but at least it's similar to the Rams' use of Helvetica knockoffs.  Progress.

Overall, the Super Bowl logo went from a solid 4/10 to a 6/10, and that's just fine by me.  Looking forward to what LVII+ brings.

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

Maybe it's the fact my team actually won one of these things. Maybe it's that I took a trip downtown to check out the festivities going around. i'm not sure I mind these any more. The little color splashes have brought the branding forward from the 45-49 era. The logos themselves aren't anything crazy, but seen as a whole with the side wall wraps, stadium banners, and scoreboard graphics they seem to have won me over. Here's a cool behance project of what they did in Houston for SB51 with a collection of pics that further show what i'm talking about. Here's one for Minnesota the following year.

Both XLIII and XLIV were in Tampa and Miami. I think as standalone logos they're fine, but they're kind of generic football. Definitely not the best super bowl logos in history by any means. But then you think about the NFL wanting to build in a cohesive brand total brand for all event logos, then I can kind of see the benefit of wanting to slightly modify the same template year after year. 

superbowl_xliv_logo_alt.gif

240px-Super_Bowl_LV.png super-bowl-liv-2020-logo-3BE0426F08-seek

Is LV and LIV better than, say any logos between 2000-2009? Probably not. Do I think they're better representations of an event that is nicknamed The Big Game in 2021? Yeah.

If the LVI leak is real, then i'm glad they're pushing it the logo more. I don't think the yearly posts comparing the first 44 super bowls to the last 11 are going to change anyone's minds in the league office, so I guess I'll crack open a beer and let it happen.

1 hour ago, raysox said:

Maybe it's the fact my team actually won one of these things. Maybe it's that I took a trip downtown to check out the festivities going around. i'm not sure I mind these any more. The little color splashes have brought the branding forward from the 45-49 era. The logos themselves aren't anything crazy, but seen as a whole with the side wall wraps, stadium banners, and scoreboard graphics they seem to have won me over. Here's a cool behance project of what they did in Houston for SB51 with a collection of pics that further show what i'm talking about. Here's one for Minnesota the following year.

Both XLIII and XLIV were in Tampa and Miami. I think as standalone logos they're fine, but they're kind of generic football. Definitely not the best super bowl logos in history by any means. But then you think about the NFL wanting to build in a cohesive brand total brand for all event logos, then I can kind of see the benefit of wanting to slightly modify the same template year after year. 

superbowl_xliv_logo_alt.gif

240px-Super_Bowl_LV.png super-bowl-liv-2020-logo-3BE0426F08-seek

Is LV and LIV better than, say any logos between 2000-2009? Probably not. Do I think they're better representations of an event that is nicknamed The Big Game in 2021? Yeah.

If the LVI leak is real, then i'm glad they're pushing it the logo more. I don't think the yearly posts comparing the first 44 super bowls to the last 11 are going to change anyone's minds in the league office, so I guess I'll crack open a beer and let it happen.

I honestly couldn’t tell that was in Houston until I saw a UH logo. I was thinking it was in Atlanta until then. Atleast the Minnesota one had purple in the branding making it slightly easier to tell it was there. That is my main problem with the current branding is without knowledge beforehand there is no way to turning on a super bowl from the last 10 years and be able to tell where the game was played.

It seems to me that the current format relies more on the branding surrounding the game than the logo itself, which, to be fair, are always great, but it doesn't make up for the boring logo system. If the LVI leak is true, then it's certainly a step up, but still a far cry from the fun uniqueness of the first 44. Speaking of which, I'm starting to realize just how good the  S XLIII and XLIV logos are. I wish that style would make a comeback.

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

21 minutes ago, dont care said:

I honestly couldn’t tell that was in Houston until I saw a UH logo. I was thinking it was in Atlanta until then. Atleast the Minnesota one had purple in the branding making it slightly easier to tell it was there. That is my main problem with the current branding is without knowledge beforehand there is no way to turning on a super bowl from the last 10 years and be able to tell where the game was played.

And that's totally a valid point! What's funny is that 45-50 had the stadium in it, which is correctly seen as the worst era of SB logos while technically giving off more context about where it's played than a lot of the golden era logos. I'm admittedly cherry picking in my argument, I just don't think the "can't tell where the game is" comment is necessarily tied down to the last decade.

vgehj2k0esq6g6vkrfxg.gif2348.gif2353.gif2357.gif

(Miami, Atlanta, Miami, Tampa)

Archived