Super Bowl LVI logo (...and the future of the standardized system)

29texan

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the cyan/magenta version is official (Iโ€™m betting it is), then Iโ€™m dissapointed but not surprised this system is still kicking around.ย 

ย 

This template theyโ€™ve run with has some flaws that I just canโ€™t wrap my head around. The most minor of these is that the silver/grey lettering doesnโ€™t stand out very well as a patch on white jerseys, at least not nearly as well as old non-templates patches did. If only that were the only problem, but thereโ€™s threeย more major ones that irk me about it too:

ย 

1. The lack of โ€œlocal flairโ€ and geographic identifiersย in each Super Bowlโ€™s brand makes the gameโ€™s brand seem less special than predecessors whoโ€™ve embraced thier hosts, as well as other major events that brand according to host (Final Four, Olympics, World Cup, various league All-Star games, etc). Itโ€™s such a โ€œplaceholderโ€ look and seems uninspired compared to local-inspired branding. The only elements that do help each gameโ€™s brand stand apart from each other is the color scheme, which leads to the second problem...

ย 

2. The color schemes donโ€™t appear to have much rhyme or reason to them, and donโ€™t seem tooย inspired by host either. With this system, it seems any color has been onย the table for any host and doesnโ€™t seem to tie into the host in a recognizable way (and if it does, it does so too abstractly). LVI - again, IF the cyan/magenta version is official - will make this problem worse because cyan/magenta are very strongly tied to Miami, and yet the game is being played in LA. So now thereโ€™s a problem where thereโ€™s finally a color scheme you could strongly tie to a specific city, and yet said city isnโ€™t hosting the game at all.ย 
ย 

And finally,ย 

ย 

3. The Lombardi Trophy, when used in this present context and capacity within the Roman numerals, always reads like itโ€™s supposed to be an โ€œIโ€ to me. This year looked like โ€œLIVโ€ rather than โ€œLVโ€, and next yearโ€™s looks like โ€œLIVIโ€. Itโ€™s such an egregious typographical error that it baffles me how it keeps happening year after year.

ย 

Having worked in the design industry professionally for two years now, I know better now than to ever call professional designers at the NFLโ€™s stage โ€œlazyโ€; thereโ€™s just so much time and effort that gets put into these kind of events, so I donโ€™t think these problems come fromย laziness, perhaps itโ€™s more that the current system is โ€œmisguidedโ€. That said, these problems are so clearly problematic to me - and thier solutions so clear - that it does give off the impression of laziness, and has led to what I consider to be the most seemingly-uninspiredย event branding of the last decade or so. I hope there comes a time when Super Bowlย branding becomes as bold, fun, and host-specific as it used to be, but Iโ€™m not holding my breath that the timeโ€™s coming anytime soon.ย 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

14 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

ย 

3. The Lombardi Trophy, when used in this present context and capacity within the Roman numerals, always reads like itโ€™s supposed to be an โ€œIโ€ to me. This year looked like โ€œLIVโ€ rather than โ€œLVโ€, and next yearโ€™s looks like โ€œLIVIโ€. Itโ€™s such an egregious typographical error that it baffles me how it keeps happening year after year.

ย 

Having worked in the design industry professionally for two years now, I know better now than to ever call professional designers at the NFLโ€™s stage โ€œlazyโ€; thereโ€™s just so much time and effort that gets put into these kind of events, so I donโ€™t think these problems come fromย laziness, perhaps itโ€™s more that the current system is โ€œmisguidedโ€. That said, these problems are so clearly problematic to me - and thier solutions so clear - that it does give off the impression of laziness, and has led to what I consider to be the most seemingly-uninspiredย event branding of the last decade or so. I hope there comes a time when Super Bowlย branding becomes as bold, fun, and host-specific as it used to be, but Iโ€™m not holding my breath that the timeโ€™s coming anytime soon.ย 

YES on this yearโ€™s logo looking like โ€œLIVโ€, itโ€™s been driving me crazy.

ย 

I think with respect to the current branding, thereโ€™s probably a โ€œtoo many cooks in the kitchenโ€ situation where far too many people are involved with the gameโ€™s branding and this is the only thing they could agree on. Itโ€™s lame and I really hope it changes soon. When it does this era will look even dumber in retrospect... which might be another reason they might be keeping it. Hoping we will just give in if and accept it if they keep it going for a few more years.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

34 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

ย 

ย 

ย 

It wasn't until today that I realized it was LV and not LIV.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'm a fan of the logo 'system'.ย  To me it makes more sense to commemorate your biggest game in a way that instantly conveys that the teams are playing for the trophy as opposed to some special event like a London game or any other game that has a special logo.

ย 

My nitpick with the 'system' is, as has been mentioned before, the trophy looks like the Roman numeral 1, so this looked like LIV, and even though Iย knewย it was LV, my brain simply can't process that what it's seeing isn't what it is.ย  I'm not sure what the solution is - maybe put the trophy behind the numbers?ย  But overall, I think the 'system' makes the patches look evenย moreย special.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

31 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I'm a fan of the logo 'system'.ย  To me it makes more sense to commemorate your biggest game in a way that instantly conveys that the teams are playing for the trophy as opposed to some special event like a London game or any other game that has a special logo.

ย 

My nitpick with the 'system' is, as has been mentioned before, the trophy looks like the Roman numeral 1, so this looked like LIV, and even though Iย knewย it was LV, my brain simply can't process that what it's seeing isn't what it is.ย  I'm not sure what the solution is - maybe put the trophy behind the numbers?ย  But overall, I think the 'system' makes the patches look evenย moreย special.

The unique logos were an important identifier of the importance of the Super Bowl and provided guide post in remembering past SB's. There is zero reason to apply the Larry O'Brien trophy treatment to the NFL, the SB is a levelย above and beyond the rest of American sports and should be treated as such.

Archived