NFL Offseason 2021: Ride the QB Carousel of Horror

CS85

11 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

That’s not what I asked. At all. 
If my team has been  one of the most consistently good teams for over a decade, why Is it so crazy to expect them to at least make, let alone win 1 Super Bowl? 
I’m not talking 6, just 1 or 2. And not even winning, just making it there. 

HE WON A SUPER BOWL! If my team’s coach won a super bowl I wouldn’t care if he took a literal dump at midfield every game for the next 15 years. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Seahawks & KC haven’t had the same level of sustained success the Steelers have had with Tomlin, and yet they’ve both Have had more success than him that’s the point. 

So was it Ben’s fault that Juju wasn’t disciplined for his tick Tock crap? 

Was it Ben’s fault “the Browns are the Browns” and “they’re nameless grey faces”?

It was Ben’s fault they completely overlooked Jacksonville? 
Football is a team sport, you can’t solely blame Ben & the other players when they constantly get out coached time & again. 

So just to be clear, you’re saying you would prefer your team not win a Super Bowl, and just be good enough to lose in the playoff year after year? 

No, I’m saying it’s all of their faults, so you can’t just blame Mike Tomlin.  You said it yourself, football is a team sport, and if one team happens to be constantly better(New England), then you won’t get to the Super Bowl.

And yes, I’d rather have sustained success to give us hope every year than to win one year and have our team in the gutter the next(see: Eagles, PHI, 2018-pres.).

20 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

That’s not what I asked. At all. 
If my team has been  one of the most consistently good teams for over a decade, why Is it so crazy to expect them to at least make, let alone win 1 Super Bowl? 
I’m not talking 6, just 1 or 2. And not even winning, just making it there. 

Do you understand how hard it is to make it to the big game? Teams say their season was successful if they get to the conference championship! Watching the Pats do it effortlessly for 20 years has adjusted how you think. Not everyone can just win 11 games every year and win a Super Bowl. That’s not how it works. Everyone else has to put their entire soul into that season, Thomas Edward Patrick Brady, Jr. can just show up and be like “I want this one” (points to Lombardi)

42 minutes ago, See Red said:

Drew Brees, Alvin Kamara, Michael Thomas and they've been stacked with defensive talent too.  He had Ingram and Kamara at one point.

Uhhhh, No. Saints have actually had some of the worst defenses in the league. 

43 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Because you're not even applying it equally! Every time we bring up someone other than Tomlin who's been coaching just as long as him, you have an excuse for them. Carroll, Payton, Reid, etc. What's the reason you think he's had better teams? Because if we compare records, they don't have that much separation between them! 

It’s not an excuse to say they’ve all made at least made a Super Bowl or gotten to the conference championship once or twice. 

Since 2008 Tomlinson has been to 1 Super Bowl & 1 conference game. He should have done far better than that. 

Just now, AustinFromBoston said:

It’s not an excuse to say they’ve all made at least made a Super Bowl or gotten to the conference championship once or twice. 

Since 2008 Tomlinson has been to 1 Super Bowl & 1 conference game. He should have done far better than that. 

So has Pittsburgh. So has every team in the league at some point in the last 20 years. The Saints were good enough on defense that the NFL felt they were bounty hunting, which was never proven. Who beat them so they couldn't get there? New England! So does that mean the Patriots are not as good as their record says they are? Why are you obsessed with this one coach? 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

47 minutes ago, Sport said:

HE WON A SUPER BOWL! If my team’s coach won a super bowl I wouldn’t care if he took a literal dump at midfield every game for the next 15 years. 

Over a decade ago. He’s had far better teams since and have done nothing with them. 

41 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Do you understand how hard it is to make it to the big game? Teams say their season was successful if they get to the conference championship! Watching the Pats do it effortlessly for 20 years has adjusted how you think. Not everyone can just win 11 games every year and win a Super Bowl. That’s not how it works. Everyone else has to put their entire soul into that season, Thomas Edward Patrick Brady, Jr. can just show up and be like “I want this one” (points to Lombardi)

So it’s completely unreasonable to have expected the Steelers in the past 10 years to have made at least 1 Super Bowl with the teams they’ve had? 

2 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

So has Pittsburgh. So has every team in the league at some point in the last 20 years. The Saints were good enough on defense that the NFL felt they were bounty hunting, which was never proven. Who beat them so they couldn't get there? New England! So does that mean the Patriots are not as good as their record says they are? Why are you obsessed with this one coach? 

Have the Saints had the same level of consistency Tomlinson has had with the Steelers? 
I’m not “obsessed”, I’m pointing how for how all the winning seasons & great teams he’s had, he’s very much underachieved in the playoffs, and here every is losing their :censored: over that like it’s crazy & arrogant to expect a team that has been so good year after year to win a Super Bowl. 

7 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Over a decade ago. He’s had far better teams since and have done nothing with them. 

So it’s completely unreasonable to have expected the Steelers in the past 10 years to have made at least 1 Super Bowl with the teams they’ve had? 

Yes, when teams like yours have always beaten them.(And it’s not like they’ve always had a Pro Bowl roster).

The better team(or the one who plays like it) always wins.

Just now, AustinFromBoston said:

Have the Saints had the same level of consistency Tomlinson has had with the Steelers? 
I’m not “obsessed”, I’m pointing how for how all the winning seasons & great teams he’s had, he’s very much underachieved in the playoffs, and here every is losing their :censored: over that like it’s crazy & arrogant to expect a team that has been so good year after year to win a Super Bowl. 

You continually overlook the same flaws other coaches have and say he should have done more,, but don't hold coaches with similar results to the same standard. Your team is the team that has beaten them. That's why I don't understand why you're holding it against him. That comes off as a bit obsessive. Obviously me pointing that out hasn't changed your mind, so let's worry about something else. Like the draft.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

All I'm going to say is,  take a team that has had great players with a hall of fame QB, that has never posted a losing season in nearly 15 years, would it not surprise you even a little bit to find out they only won a single Super Bowl in all that time?

Would not a single part of you think "I'm surprised that's all they won". 

7 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

All I'm going to say is,  take a team that has had great players with a hall of fame QB, that has never posted a losing season in nearly 15 years, would it not surprise you even a little bit to find out they only won a single Super Bowl in all that time?

No because I was not in a coma and I remember the Patriots hogging much of the AFC’s super bowl trips over the last two decades. 

50 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Sorry I didn’t realize if you go over ten years in between Super Bowls you lose all rights to the achievement. 

Yeah it’s unreasonable because I was not in a coma those years and I remember the Patriots hogging much of the AFC’s super bowl trips over the last two decades. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

10 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

No. It wouldn't. Because of how many teams that we have shown you that had all of those same pieces and had even or lesser results. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

26 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

I'll bet against that.

PS - Tomlin, not Tomlinson

It's where I sit.

28 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

That's kinda how sports be, mate. Dynasties are the exception, not the norm.

On 4/21/2021 at 6:26 PM, AustinFromBoston said:

You can't blame everything on Ben. The fact he performs so bad in the playoffs is also a reflection of Tomlin's efforts. He's the one that's coming up with the game plan, and is responsible for making adjustments during the game.

Those 5 turnovers likely don't happen with a better gameplan. 

Okay. So Mike Tomlin is at fault because his offense had five turnovers in a playoff game. It isn't the players fault AT ALL that they made mistake after mistake. It is all on the coach. That is the bar you have set moving forward with this conversation.

Because Payton hasn’t had as good a team or as much consistency as Tomlin has had with The Steelers. 

Well dang. Maybe Payton should have come up with a better game plan and his team/defense would have played better! Because as you've pointed out, coaches are the ones that deserve all the blame - not the players on the field making mistakes. 

Carry on. 

T1oYViW.png

47 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

I'll put it this way: I'm 44 years old. I'm a Vikings fan. I was three months old the last time the Vikings made it to the Super Bowl. They've played in four NFC title games over those four decades and lost every one, while fielding some of the most talented teams to never win the big one.

So would it surprise me that the Steelers have only one Super Bowl in the past decade? No. No it would not. 

It's incredibly hard to get to the Super Bowl, let alone win one. And Tomlin did it. 

Bud Grant should've won more, too.

41 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

No. It wouldn't. Because of how many teams that we have shown you that had all of those same pieces and had even or lesser results. 

Odd, I seem to recall teams like Tampa, KC, SF, Philly & even NY all making it to the Super Bowl  with as much of not less than what Tomlinson has had to work with. 

So again, What’s Tomlin’s excuse? 
Plenty of coaches have been fired for accomplishing more than what he has over the decade. 

Oh, but he won a Super Bowl 20 years ago so he can do no wrong? 

I can’t believe Tomlinson is the Hill you guys want to die on. 
Bruce Arians (Colts, Cardinals, Bucs): 5 playoff wins
Sean McDermott (Bills): 2 playoff wins in 3 years
Mike Vrabel (Titans): 2 playoff wins in 3 years
Kevin Stefanski (Browns) 1 playoff win in 1 year
Sean McVay (Rams): 3 playoff wins in 4 years
Mike McCarthy (Packers, Cowboys): 10 playoff wins 
Sean Payton has the least wins and it's still double the amount of Tomlin in the last decade.

But yes, vigorously defend the coach that has done the least with the most talent around him. 

11 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Odd, I seem to recall teams like Tampa, KC, SF, Philly & even NY all making it to the Super Bowl  with as much of not less than what Tomlinson has had to work with. 

So again, What’s Tomlin’s excuse? 
Plenty of coaches have been fired for accomplishing more than what he has over the decade. 

Oh, but he won a Super Bowl 20 years ago so he can do no wrong? 

I can’t believe Tomlinson is the Hill you guys want to die on. 
Bruce Arians (Colts, Cardinals, Bucs): 5 playoff wins
Sean McDermott (Bills): 2 playoff wins in 3 years
Mike Vrabel (Titans): 2 playoff wins in 3 years
Kevin Stefanski (Browns) 1 playoff win in 1 year
Sean McVay (Rams): 3 playoff wins in 4 years
Mike McCarthy (Packers, Cowboys): 10 playoff wins 
Sean Payton has the least wins and it's still double the amount of Tomlin in the last decade.

Did you really say Tampa?!?!? No matter which team you're talking about, they had stacked defenses that saved the offenses backsides during the playoffs and had offensive players come in last year who said, "I'll take less for a shot at a ring this year"!

How many times has that new coach come in and done better than the one that got canned? Almost never! 

Tomlin (spelling) is your hill, that you keep running back to instead of letting it go. It's alright to admit you're not right about everything. You also keep avoiding the information that multiple people put out because it contradicts your statements and you don't have an actual rebuttal except to say he should have beaten the Patriots more. You know who else should have done that? Everyone else in the whole damn league. 

Payton's teams have been one or two seeds the majority of the time they've made the playoffs, they should have more wins than teams that are the third seed and below. Statistics alone say that. 

McVay gets a lot of stick because the wunderkind got into the Super Bowl after his team committed a pass interference that wasn't called. Then to top it off, Mr. Offense only put up 3 points in the most annoyingly boring Super Bowl in history. 

Pittsburgh obviously thinks he's good enough to keep coaching and don't feel that going another direction makes sense for them. If THEIR fans want to be mad about it, OK, makes sense. Why you're so worked up about it makes no sense. You should be happily looking forward to seeing them in the playoffs. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Hey, there's actual NFL offseason news now!

I'm gonna be honest, I don't hate this trade.  My initial reaction was shock that we actually traded him to KC, but the more I thought about it, the more I liked it.  This is a guy who didn't want to be here with one year left on his contract and we got a 1st round pick for him, after only investing a 3rd on him 3 years ago.  Giving up our second this year hurts a lot but EDC can easily use 31 to trade with a team desperate to get back into the first if he wants a second rounder plus more.

Still sucks that we made our chief AFC rival better but I'm not sure if we would've gotten anything better on draft day.

spacer.png

Archived