NFL Offseason 2021: Ride the QB Carousel of Horror

CS85

I'm saying it's not a waste.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, rams80 said:

I'm saying it's not a waste.

Now that is a bad :censored:ing take. 

I bet you also think it's fine that Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl either? 

IDK what more insane, that you think not winning is ok, or that winning only 1 or 2 when you had the opportunity to win more is.

Find me a Steelers, or Saints fan that would agree their team shouldn't have won more. 

7 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Find me a Steelers, or Saints fan that would agree their team shouldn't have won more. 

Yinzers are never satisfied unless they win everything, that's hardly an indictment of Tomlin lmao

As for the Saints, I think their fans are plenty content with how the team's looking currently under Payton. Most fanbases tend to prefer being competitive for long periods of time even if they don't win a bunch of rings over being the flash in the pan championship-then-suck team.

Just now, Ridleylash said:

Yinzers are never satisfied unless they win everything, that's hardly an indictment of Tomlin lmao

As for the Saints, I think their fans are plenty content with how the team's looking currently under Payton.

So you agree then, good. 

With the Saints, again I dare you to find a fan that would argue Brees didn't deserve another ring. 

6 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Now that is a bad :censored:ing take. 

I bet you also think it's fine that Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl either? 

IDK what more insane, that you think not winning is ok, or that winning only 1 or 2 when you had the opportunity to win more is.

Not Marino's fault Miami couldn't get him a running back.

The Tom Brady death gate kind of is a hard hurdle to vault.  Such is life.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

1 minute ago, rams80 said:

Not Marino's fault Miami couldn't get him a running back.

The Tom Brady death gate kind of is a hard hurdle to vault.  Such is life.

Wow, so you're really saying Marino didn't deserve a ring. Just.....wow. 

And the Patriots still aren't an excuse, Didn't stop Baltimore, Indy, Denver, NY, or hell even Pittsburgh.  

Pittsburgh's 3 Super Bowl appearances during the Brady era:

XL: Denver dispatched the Patriots (in Denver!), Steelers beat the Broncos the next week.

XLIII: Patriots were "Sir Not Appearing in this Picture" for the playoffs thanks to Bernard Pollard giving Brady a season-ending injury in Week One

XLV: Patriots lose to the "Sanchize" at home, Steelers pick off the Jets the next Week.

Baltimore's 1

XLVII: Beat the Patriots in New England!!, as was their wont during the Flacco Era.  Baltimore's biggest problem is that they couldn't beat other teams.  Rock Paper Scissors is weird, dude.

Indy: Well-documented instances of consistently losing to the Patriots aside...

XLI: Kept their :censored: together in the early round of the playoffs and made the hard-won home field advantage pay off in a comeback win against the Patriots, for once.  (This loss also marked the end of the "Brady as game manager" era in New England.)

XLIV: Patriots got Flacco'd

Dennver: 

XLVIII: Broncos defense is good enough when they play New England in Denver

50: Ditto (barely) (As for why they couldn't do this more often, John Elway is a moron as an executive.)

Giants: Don't have to face the Patriots before the Super Bowl, spent much of this era otherwise underachieving or flailing around, Rock Paper Scissors is REALLY weird.

Gist is, there are two approaches to getting around Brady during this era.

1.  Let somebody else take care of him.

2.  Rely on rock paper scissors advantages and hope you don't run into somebody who has the same advantages on you.

Please note that both strategies rely heavily on luck.

Today, we are all otaku.

Only if you're Denver in Denver or Baltimore, and Baltimore is only .500 against them in the playoffs.

So yeah, still rather hard and kind of luck-based.

Today, we are all otaku.

5 minutes ago, rams80 said:

Only if you're Denver in Denver or Baltimore, and Baltimore is only .500 against them in the playoffs.

So yeah, still rather hard and kind of luck-based.

As you yourself pointed out, Denver beat them, Indy beat them, Baltimore beat them, the god damn Jets beat them. The Steelers & Broncos both managed 2 Super bowl appearances. 

It's no excuse. 

6 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Sean Payton is 143-81 in the regular season and 9-8 in the playoffs, with one Super Bowl. His worst season is 7-9 (done 4 times).

Mike Tomlin is 145-78-1 in the regular season and 8-8 in the playoffs, with one Super Bowl. His worst season is 8-8 (done 3 times).

Payton has had his job 1 year longer than Tomlin. If you're going to argue that having one more playoff win (with an extra season at the helm) is the difference maker between a bad coach and a good one be my guest, but they've had nearly identical careers and no one thinks Payton should be fired.

Tomlin never ran a bounty operation either. 

4 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Wow, so you're really saying Marino didn't deserve a ring. Just.....wow. 

And the Patriots still aren't an excuse, Didn't stop Baltimore, Indy, Denver, NY, or hell even Pittsburgh.  

Yes because no one deserves a ring. It takes a talented team and luck. 

Alright, kids. Twice now, I've asked nicely for you all to move on to another topic. And twice now you have failed to do so. Keep it up and I'll have no choice but to lock this thread. I'm sure you can find other things to talk about. Mike Tomlin and Mike Tomlin adjacent stuff isn't this interesting.

BB52Big.jpg

Now for something that will clearly have less heated debate:

The NFL (or at least Troy Vincent) has commented on the DeShawn Watson situation.

There really is no "right" way to respond to something like this if you're the NFL due to it technically being an accusation/civil suit/ongoing criminal investigation. Best to really say "It's not good" and wait for the results IMO. 

"“I’m just praying for the young man, personally, today,” Vincent told LaVar Arrington, Plaxico Burress, and T.J. Houshmandzadeh."

Damn I wish I was watching - I'm sure Plaxico had some really deep and insightful comments on the situation.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived