NFL Offseason 2021: Ride the QB Carousel of Horror

CS85

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, DEAD! said:

Do I need to bring up Mark Sanchez and the 10 years between Patriot Super Bowl wins again? 

You mean when the Patriots were still able to make the playoffs unlike Tomlin who went 8-8 for 3 years and only won 3 playoff games during that a same 10 year timespan?

2 hours ago, Sport said:

The case for Mike Tomlin and I hate saying nice things about the Steelers is that they're never bad. Nobody goes 14 years without a losing season by accident. Jason Garrett and the Cowboys were often bad, Mike McCarthy was carried by one of the best QBs ever. There's seasons where everything goes wrong for the Steelers and at minimum they still find a way to 8-8. If you want to argue that he's the reason they haven't won in the playoffs then you could just as easily argue they wouldn't get that far in many years without him. When you're stable at head coach, especially with a coach who has proven he can win it all no matter what arbitrary timeline you're using to discredit that (which is dumber than s***), you don't throw it away to go looking in the head coach woods for someone who's maybe better, but probably isn't. The Steelers have had 3 head coaches since the dang ass 1960's. I think they know what they're doing. 

They're never bad, yet time & again they either fail to make the playoffs or when they do, lose to either really bad teams or because they arrogantly overlook their opponents. 

What major accomplishment does Tomlin have in the past 10 years? winning the fewest playoff games of coaches that have made it? 

You can't excuse everything because of 1 super bowl win a decade ago, that's complete nonsense. Plenty of coaches have been fired not long after a super bowl. 

1 hour ago, NormMacdonald said:

You mean 10 seasons of .500 at worst football? I would murder someone for the Vikings to be that competitive. I wish Massachusetts had gone through with seceding during the war of 1812 so we wouldn't have to listen to spoiled Pats fans that don't understand how fluctuation in success happens for most teams. Bill Belichek has more losing seasons in the past 10 years than Tomlin.

Belichick has made the playoffs more often than Tomlin, and like a lot of other coaches has won more playoff games than him. 

I don't understand this warped reality you guys have were going 8-8 & losing embarrassingly in the playoffs is someone perfectly fine for a Super Bowl caliber team. 

It's not & the fact that most coaches get fired over it proves it. Coaches are hired to win Super Bowls, what has Tomlin done recent to prove he can still do that?

You really don't think if a coach like Vrabel, McDermott, or even Reid posts the same kinds of records as Tomlin these next few years there won't be any talk of replacing them? 

Are these owners just "spoiled Pats fans" too because they expect the coaches they hire to win a super bowl with the highly competitive team they have?

If you want to pretend that's some successful  record for the teams he's had, I'm sure many owners & Gms would disagree".  

21 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

You mean when the Patriots were still able to make the playoffs unlike Tomlin who went 8-8 for 3 years and only won 3 playoff games during that a same 10 year timespan?

They're never bad, yet time & again they either fail to make the playoffs or when they do, lose to either really bad teams or because they arrogantly overlook their opponents. 

What major accomplishment does Tomlin have in the past 10 years? winning the fewest playoff games of coaches that have made it? 

You can't excuse everything because of 1 super bowl win a decade ago, that's complete nonsense. Plenty of coaches have been fired not long after a super bowl. 

Belichick has made the playoffs more often than Tomlin, and like a lot of other coaches has won more playoff games than him. 

I don't understand this warped reality you guys have were going 8-8 & losing embarrassingly in the playoffs is someone perfectly fine for a Super Bowl caliber team. 

It's not & the fact that most coaches get fired over it proves it. Coaches are hired to win Super Bowls, what has Tomlin done recent to prove he can still do that?

You really don't think if a coach like Vrabel, McDermott, or even Reid posts the same kinds of records as Tomlin these next few years there won't be any talk of replacing them? 

Are these owners just "spoiled Pats fans" too because they expect the coaches they hire to win a super bowl with the highly competitive team they have?

If you want to pretend that's some successful  record for the teams he's had, I'm sure many owners & Gms would disagree".  

Bro. I understand that you think that Mike Tomlin should be fired. But clearly no one else here does. Stop beating this dead horse and go talk about Mark Sanchez with your Patriot buddies. Or better yet, join us here and talk about the draft. But the fact of the matter is that Mike Tomlin still has a job, and until the Steelers organization finds a legitimate reason(other than “his last SB was 14 years ago), he will still have a job.

Now, will the Cowboys pick a CB or Kyle Pitts if he’s available?

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

But just like Dungy in Tampa, sometimes it takes a new voice to get a team over the top, or someone that does things just a little differently in the big games.

Dungy got fired because for all of his consistency he couldn't win a Super Bowl. He couldn't get them over the top. 
Gruden did which, love him or hate him, justifies the Bucs' move in that regard. 

With Tomlin? He's already gotten them over the top. He's won them a Super Bowl. 

Which furthers what @Sport is saying- the Steelers have had three head coaches since the 1960s and all three have at least one ring to their name. That's a pretty good track record. And not something you wanna mess with on a whim. 

1 hour ago, AustinFromBoston said:

The difference is Mike Tomlin coaches for the Steelers, a team that understands that when you have a good coach you let him do his job and not overreact widely to one bad season or a bad playoff loss. 

Maybe the Titans, Bills, or Chiefs would have fired Vrabel, McDermott, or Reid after a loss akin to the Steelers losing to the Browns, but those teams are less well run than the Steelers.

If you have a good coach- a proven Super Bowl winning coach at that- who consistently has you in contention you don't move on from him. You only start talking about replacing him if he starts turning in bad seasons. And even then you should probably give him a chance to rebound, like the Steelers did with Cowher, before axing him. 

Ben's on his last legs and the Steelers have a lot of young talent. The team is a crossroads. Maybe it's the end of Tomlin's tenure, maybe it isn't but if it is? He's certainly not failed or underachieved in his time as the Steelers' head coach. 

57 minutes ago, IceCap said:

The difference is Mike Tomlin coaches for the Steelers, a team that understands that when you have a good coach you let him do his job and not overreact widely to one bad season or a bad playoff loss. 

Except it hasn’t been just 1 bad season or 1 bad playoff loss, it’s bad season after bad season and embarrassing playoff loss after embarrassing playoff loss. The exact kind of thing that got a guy like McCarthy fired despite also winning a ring a decade ago like Tomlin. 

Packers expected McCarthy to win another one, but after coming up short time & again (like Tomlin) they moved on. 
Steelers haven’t because they just don’t fire anyone ever. 

But I guess if you didn’t expect those great Steelers teams to win more than 1 Super Bowl then he didn’t underachieve.  

Teams like KC & TB must just have a different philosophy since they clearly expect to win more than 1. 
Damn them for acting so “spoiled”.  

27 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

it’s bad season after bad season

Once again, Tomlin's worst record with the Steelers is 8-8; you appear to have a seriously messed up understanding of the concept of a "bad season".

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

33 minutes ago, NormMacdonald said:

Trevor Lawrence isn't going to live up to the hype probably

Does anyone else feel like the hype around Trevor Lawrence has been around for so long that he’s kind of not in the spotlight as much as you expected? I mean, he’s obviously in the spotlight, he’s a generational #1 pick (supposedly), but I feel like his hype levels were so ridiculously high before he could even declare for the draft that they’ve died down to slightly higher than “reasonable for a #1 pick” levels. Which can only be good for him; the amount of pressure we put on these still incredibly young men is honestly absurd (and I am quite guilty of it myself). 

spacer.png

2 hours ago, waltere said:

Once again, Tomlin's worst record with the Steelers is 8-8; you appear to have a seriously messed up understanding of the concept of a "bad season".

Then so do plenty of owners/GM’s that fire coaches after records like that. 

You must consider Jeff Fisher good couch since he went 8-8 a lot of time. 

8-8 with a great team is not a success by any measure. I don’t know how crazy you have to be to believe that.

But sure, keep pretending .500 records that get most coaches fired is ok in your fantasy. I’m sure there are many coaches that wish that was the case. 

2 hours ago, Crabcake said:

Does anyone else feel like the hype around Trevor Lawrence has been around for so long that he’s kind of not in the spotlight as much as you expected? I mean, he’s obviously in the spotlight, he’s a generational #1 pick (supposedly), but I feel like his hype levels were so ridiculously high before he could even declare for the draft that they’ve died down to slightly higher than “reasonable for a #1 pick” levels. Which can only be good for him; the amount of pressure we put on these still incredibly young men is honestly absurd (and I am quite guilty of it myself). 

I have come to believe that draft "busts" are very much on the player, but it is more on the organization that drafts the player. Why should the burden be solely on the player? The player did not choose where to go. It is the team's responsibility to select other surrounding players and developing them. 

I saw, I came, I left.

3 hours ago, waltere said:

Seriously, it was within a decade that the Chiefs had a season where they didn't have a lead for the first 10 games along with starting linebacker Jovan Belcher committing suicide in the Arrowhead Stadium parking lot after murdering the mother of his child the day before a game were the "highlights" of a 2-14 season. 

8-8 (or what would now be 8-9 or 9-8) is just mediocrity incarnate. 

Also, gotta say, a Patriots fan calling any other fanbase spoiled is just peak Opposite Day.

If Trevor Lawrence had any real self confidence he should tell Jacksonville to F off and let him go somewhere that doesn't have an idiot college coach, a schedule that doesn't ship half their home games to Europe, and a team that's relevant and marketable.

If he doesn't, then he should beg Jacksonville to take him so that if he's good he can leave as a FA, and if he's not, nobody will notice.  I think the only suiters for the top pick would be other teams in the market for the top-5 QBs which means they wouldn't have to trade down far but would still pick up a good extra pick in exchange.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Now, will the Cowboys pick a CB or Kyle Pitts if he’s available?

Jerry will mess this up by trading out of the pick and drafting a running back later on. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Then so do plenty of owners/GM’s that fire coaches after records like that. 

You must consider Jeff Fisher good couch since he went 8-8 a lot of time. 

8-8 with a great team is not a success by any measure. I don’t know how crazy you have to be to believe that.

But sure, keep pretending .500 records that get most coaches fired is ok in your fantasy. I’m sure there are many coaches that wish that was the case. 

Did jeff fisher ever win a super bowl? Jeff fisher was consistently 8-8 and those were the better seasons, Tomlins worst is 8-8 is the difference.

Archived