NFL Offseason 2021: Ride the QB Carousel of Horror

CS85

Love the Bateman pick. Bigger, outside receiver is just what Lamar needs. 

Not nearly as hyped about the Oweh pick. Concerning lack of production despite being an athletic freak. But, I trust EDC, I’m not the one getting paid lots of money to decide these things. If anyone can develop him I think the Ravens can. Still would’ve liked to have seen us go for Teven Jenkins to really beef up that O-line. 

spacer.png

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd rather have Fields -- was hoping Denver would pull the trigger on him, actually -- but I think it's a lot more likely Mac Jones has the better career.  I'm not that high on Mac since he got a lot of mileage throwing to WRs that are five yards behind the coverage or routinely take bubble screens for 70 yard TDs but he seems to be a really good fit in New England.

Giants fans seemed pretty disappointed with Toney but (and I'm biased) it's a good pick.  He plays like Tyreek Hill without the top end speed.  He has insane acceleration and is shifty.  Although compared to Devonta Smith, who they may have been eyeing before Philadelphia moved up, it is a disappointing pick I'll admit.

I get what the Bengals were going for but they should've taken Sewell.

IUe6Hvh.png

10 hours ago, Crabcake said:

Joe Burrow is going to die.

That's easy to say, but they cut the statistically worst guard in the league who caused the injury, Jonah Williams looked good in his first season at left tackle, signed Reilly Reiff, brought back Frank Pollack whose lines and running backs had solid numbers when he was here a couple years ago, and they'll draft oline in the second round of what's supposedly a deep lineman class. Booger McFarland called it "football malpractice" last night. This idea that they did nothing about the offensive line, even held by many Bengals fans, is just not true. Penei Sewell would've helped for sure, but he can't play all five positions and they determined the dropoff between OL Second Round Guy X and Sewell was smaller than the dropoff between WR Second Round Guy X and Chase. 

There's also the argument that a guy like Chase unlocks the offense's potential and gives them way more options. Last year they didn't have a deep threat with AJ Green being old and John Ross being doggy ass so defenses could stack the box and make them one-dimensional.

9 hours ago, tBBP said:

I mean, at some point some Ohio State QB has to accomplish something in the NFL...right???

(Seriously, someone name me the last Ohio State QB--or the first, for that matter--to accomplish anything of note in the NFL...)

Shane Falco. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

10 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Maybe you should learn to take a joke, instead of making childish insults.  

Maybe you should learn to temper your holier-than-thou schtick and don't yuck a yum.  Bears fans rarely ever have anything to be excited about.  Let us enjoy it for, like, a friggin' day before posts from you and others like:

12 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

..and the Bears have snatched up Justin Fields.

My god, it's like they've learned nothing from the Trubisky debacle.

...this crop up.  You guys don't know dick about the Bears beyond the merriment of dancing on their misfortune and errors. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

12 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

..and the Bears have snatched up Justin Fields.

My god, it's like they've learned nothing from the Trubisky debacle.

They did draft a better version of Trubisky. He's been able to lead a football team to two playoffs, and his only losses have been in the playoffs. And he'll be sitting behind Dalton to start instead of playing from Day 1. One thing he needs to probably work on is deciding earlier that it's time to leave the pocket or switch to the safe route. 

12 hours ago, tBBP said:

I mean, at some point some Ohio State QB has to accomplish something in the NFL...right???

(Seriously, someone name me the last Ohio State QB--or the first, for that matter--to accomplish anything of note in the NFL...)

Who was the last good Nebraska, USC, Florida State, Notre Dame or Alabama QB to do so? People want to compare Fields to Dwayne Haskins, and they aren't even the same type of player. J.T. Barrett set a ton of records at Ohio State but kept getting injured in college and kept getting injured in New Orleans. Cardale Jones has a cannon for an arm but no accuracy. Haskins went home, which is never a good idea for your first team. Reports were apparently didn't put as much work in as he should have. And that's probably true, but seeing how dysfunctional and how badly Washington's coaching staff treated Alex Smith, I don't think it can solely be his fault that he had issues. Especially if he saw what has been reported about various executives on that team. Also, apparently Ron Rivera didn't want to deal with anyone on that team last year that wasn't his pick for the team as seen in how he kept questioning the doctor who said Smith was good to go. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

12 hours ago, burgundy said:

I really don't understand Washington taking Jamin Davis when Owusu-Koramoah was sitting right there. A first round pick being described as a "project" is not something you want to hear.

Davis's stock has been rising, and some people see Owusu-Koramoah as a safety.

6 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

They did draft a better version of Trubisky.

I don't think Fields and Trubisky are even remotely comparable.  Trey Lance played fewer snaps/games than Trubisky in college and went 3rd overall, ironically to the 49ers.  Fields had an actual NCAA career and more accomplishments than Trubisky ever did, plus his arm, vision, decision making, ability to read a defense, and go through a progression are all things Trubisky has never done, and Fields hasn't even played an NFL game yet.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

36 minutes ago, CS85 said:

I don't think Fields and Trubisky are even remotely comparable.  Trey Lance played fewer snaps/games than Trubisky in college and went 3rd overall, ironically to the 49ers.  Fields had an actual NCAA career and more accomplishments than Trubisky ever did, plus his arm, vision, decision making, ability to read a defense, and go through a progression are all things Trubisky has never done, and Fields hasn't even played an NFL game yet.

As a Viking fan, I'm not inclined to wish for anything good to happen to the Bears, but it's gonna be hard for me to not root for Fields.  I know this gets thrown around a lot, but he certainly seems to be an absolute amazing kid. Humble, crazy hard worker, transferred into a major program as an anointed starter, and rather than being resented the whole team fell instantly in love with him. Great leader. Tough as nails. He got his knee bashed sideways against Michigan in '19, missed like three plays, then came back, scrambled left and threw a dime bomb for TD on the first play. Most reports say he mostly likely fractured a rib on the spear from the Clemson LB in the playoffs, missed one play and came back in to play the game of his life.

As a lifelong tOSU fan you can trust me when I say it isn't just his playing style that isn't comparable to Cardale Jones or Dwayne Haskins.

Plus, this is his dog...

spacer.png

37 minutes ago, CS85 said:

Thank you! I'm tired of the Trubisky-Fields comparisons that we're going to undoubtedly hear until Fields breaks out. The only comparison is the Bears traded up for them. I've seen a lot of Fields coming out of college than I did of Mitch. From what I've seen, Fields is much, MUCH more accurate. He has a tendency to stare down receivers, but I feel like that's something that will get worked out as he progresses. If you go off his aptitude test, he has the mind for football that Mitch lacked. I'm optimistic because at this point, what else is there to be? I feel like it's better to have Fields in that quarterback instead of going into the season with just Dalton & Foles. 

Meanwhile, tonight we finally get to see the Rams' Malibu Stacy Draft House (while Snead gets to Zoom in from COVID quarantine).

And, with the comparison with Ohio St and USC quarterbacks of recent memory, let's look down the Trojan revolving door of busts since Carson Palmer...

*Matt Leinart

*Matt Cassel

*Mark Sanchez

*Cody Kessler

*Matt Barkley

*Sam Darnold

VmWIn6B.png

15 minutes ago, LMU said:

Meanwhile, tonight we finally get to see the Rams' Malibu Stacy Draft House (while Snead gets to Zoom in from COVID quarantine).

And, with the comparison with Ohio St and USC quarterbacks of recent memory, let's look down the Trojan revolving door of busts since Carson Palmer...

*Matt Leinart

*Matt Cassel

*Matt Barkley

Reads like a St. Louis Cardinals roster.

twitter

15 hours ago, tBBP said:

Mike Tomczak managed to stay on an NFL roster for 14 years and...ummm....yeah, that's all I got. 😎

BB52Big.jpg

3 hours ago, CS85 said:

Maybe you should learn to temper your holier-than-thou schtick and don't yuck a yum.  Bears fans rarely ever have anything to be excited about.  Let us enjoy it for, like, a friggin' day before posts from you and others like:

AustinFromBoston was going on about how Toronto teams always choke ten minutes or so before the Raptors won the NBA Championship. 

He's a spoilt Boston fan who enjoys grave dancing on other franchises so much he can't even wait for the body to be lowered. 

28 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

I'm confused as to what being a "spoilt Boston fan" has to do with making fun of teams that everyone has made fun of.  

Rightly or wrongly the continued regular success of Boston teams across all 4 sports so far this century means that Boston fans getting involved in the general hurly-burly of sports trash talk, especially when concerning teams who aren't necessarily their rivals, does have a tendency to come across as "punching down" and making fun of those less fortunate. It's somewhat of a cliche on both sides by this point tbh, but those are the breaks of being a sports fan.

31 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

If you don't like it grow some thicker skin or stay off the internet because there's a whole lot more people than me making fun of them. 

This board ≠ the internet as a whole. Just because people are saying it elsewhere doesn't mean similar things have to be aired on this forum, or anywhere else for that matter.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

17 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

I'm confused as to what being a "spoilt Boston fan" has to do with making fun of teams that everyone has made fun of.  

If you don't like it grow some thicker skin or stay off the internet because there's a whole lot more people than me making fun of them. 

Let's clear up a few things. First off, this forum, while "on the internet", is not the internet. We have rules of decorum here and you seem to take great pleasure in seeing just how far you can push it with those rules. This place ain't exactly the Harvard Debate Club, but it's also not the "Tommy from Malden Chowd Smack Show" either. It would behoove you to figure out the difference.

Second, this isn't about people needing "thicker skin" to endure your rapier-like wit and eloquent takes. It's about you being an insufferable ass-hole whenever the notion strikes you to do so - which is bad enough. What makes it worse is that you seem to revel in it. Add in your non-stop arguments and here we are. You're certainly free to be an always arguing, internet ass-hole, you just can't do it here. Everyone here is more than capable of taking heat over their teams. Your problem is you don't know when to drop things.

Finally, if you don't mind some friendly advice, it would be in the best interests of your CCSLC career to stop with the insults and never ending arguments and to do it right quick.

BB52Big.jpg

"Get thicker skin" is something I hear a lot from, ya know, bigots and sexists, so may need to diversify your go-to turns of phrase. 

twitter

1 minute ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Yeah, yeah I get it. 
You real really :censored:ing hate “Bawwwwston” fans.

My heart is broken for your hardships.

twitter

Archived