NFL Offseason 2021: Ride the QB Carousel of Horror

CS85

2 minutes ago, tBBP said:

As it should be...and should be more often, but unfortunately, patience is a [lost] virtue in the NFL. Now, obviously, much depends on how much mentoring Tom Brady is capable of doing (and/or if he even wants to do so), but, @See Red said, that's the best situation he could have ended up in.  Smart teams figure this out...the Packers figured it out twice, first with Aaron Rodgers behind Brett Favre and now Jordan Love behind Aaron Rodgers; the Chiefs figured it out with Pat Mahomes behind Alex Smith, and now this.  Plus, dude was really good with the Gators (can't believe I'm complimenting them "swamp thangs", but truth is truth at the end of the day 😄), and plus, that's a smart move for the sake of local fandom.  (Tony Dungy used to do that a lot when he was coach there: draft players from one of the Florida schools.)  I think Kyle Trask will have a good shot when his turn comes up.

They tried to figure it out too soon, and now they’re most likely to lose the aforementioned mentor.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

They tried to figure it out too soon, and now they’re most likely to lose the aforementioned mentor.

A year is better than throwing him to the wolves. Aaron Rodgers getting his feelings hurt about it is on him

Sitting and being 'mentored' is overrated.  What's Tom Brady going to say to him - "see how I shook off the linebacker and did some magical read that only I'm capable of doing in order to hit the open receiver?  Do that."

Reminds me of when the Eagles drafted Carson Wentz and were still stuck with Sam Bradford, and their idiot GM said "ideally, he gets to sit for two years and get to know our city, get to meet and understand our fans, and learn from watching."  WTF does that even mean?  You learn from making mistakes and retrospection on it with your coaches while watching film or on the sidelines or whatever.  I'm not saying that a rookie should start over Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers or any other established QB, just that any blanket statement that rookie QBs need to sit is foolish.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

Umm, see like, because um...I used to go in and out of Toledo quite often back in the day.  It's a lot like most rust belt cities--yes it has its grit and whatnot, but Frogtown also has its jewels.  People just gotta get in there and find them--I personally have long thought it as a small-scale version of Cleveland that way.  Plus, you guys gave us Lyfe Jennings, so that's a win right there.

We do have lots of grit and plenty of whatnot. Too much if I'm being honest. 😎 I think of us as more like a large scale version of Mansfield except without the prison.

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

Umm, see like, because um...I used to go in and out of Toledo quite often back in the day.  It's a lot like most rust belt cities--yes it has its grit and whatnot, but Frogtown also has its jewels.  People just gotta get in there and find them--I personally have long thought it as a small-scale version of Cleveland that way.  Plus, you guys gave us Lyfe Jennings, so that's a win right there.

The Toledo Museum of Art is well regarded nationally, and the Toledo Zoo is consistently rated one of the best in the country. The downtown area has been revitalized over the last 15 years, in large part thanks to the Mud Hens and Walleye. And there's plenty of great restaurants. Toledo has one of the highest densities of bars and restaurants, especially for a smaller city. We like to eat and drink.

To get back on topic from the Frogjacking, I was glad to see Ian Book go to the Saints. I always liked him at Notre Dame and think he can do well with the right offense, and I think he fits well in New Orleans.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

What's Tom Brady going to say to him - "see how I shook off the linebacker and did some magical read that only I'm capable of doing in order to hit the open receiver?  Do that."

I'm pretty sure Brady has more insightful commentary on quarterbacking than that

@infrared41 is correct. I spent the 90s there, teaching at the University of Toledo and working at the Art museum, met my fabolous wife there, and have nothing but good things to say about Toledo. Plus, I now live and love living in the great city of Detroit, another place that gets crap talked about by dopes who, at most, once drove nearby, but remember seeing something about the city on Johnny Carson 30 years ago.  To all the people who think they're being clever by retelling tired jokes about our so called "rust belt" cities... good. Stay out. You'd get your candy asses beat if you came here anyway. 😁

2 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

I'm pretty sure Brady has more insightful commentary on quarterbacking than that

"also, make sure to marry a hot model and wear comfy slipper boots"

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, burgundy said:

The Toledo Museum of Art is well regarded nationally, and the Toledo Zoo is consistently rated one of the best in the country. The downtown area has been revitalized over the last 15 years, in large part thanks to the Mud Hens and Walleye. And there's plenty of great restaurants. Toledo has one of the highest densities of bars and restaurants, especially for a smaller city. We like to eat and drink.

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

@infrared41 is correct. I spent the 90s there, teaching at the University of Toledo and working at the Art museum, met my fabolous wife there, and have nothing but good things to say about Toledo. Plus, I now live and love living in the great city of Detroit, another place that gets crap talked about by dopes who, at most, once drove nearby, but remember seeing something about the city on Johnny Carson 30 years ago.  To all the people who think they're being clever by retelling tired jokes about our so called "rust belt" cities... good. Stay out. You'd get your candy asses beat if you came here anyway. 😁

tenor.gif?itemid=11048773

BB52Big.jpg

4 hours ago, BBTV said:

Sitting and being 'mentored' is overrated.  What's Tom Brady going to say to him - "see how I shook off the linebacker and did some magical read that only I'm capable of doing in order to hit the open receiver?  Do that."

Reminds me of when the Eagles drafted Carson Wentz and were still stuck with Sam Bradford, and their idiot GM said "ideally, he gets to sit for two years and get to know our city, get to meet and understand our fans, and learn from watching."  WTF does that even mean?  You learn from making mistakes and retrospection on it with your coaches while watching film or on the sidelines or whatever.  I'm not saying that a rookie should start over Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers or any other established QB, just that any blanket statement that rookie QBs need to sit is foolish.

most people get better at things the more they practice. crazy but true

9 hours ago, infrared41 said:

That's rich coming from a guy who lived in Kansas City. Kansas City? Really? Forget Paris, Kansas City would be thrilled to be the East Rutherford, NJ of the Midwest. Michigan was ready to go to war with Ohio to keep Toledo. Missouri offered Kansas City to Kansas for free and Kansas said "No thanks, we're don't want an eyesore screwing up the look of our miles and miles of nothingness."

By my estimation, you drove through my hometown on I-75. You basically saw nothing but the industrial part of our fine city. Based on those eight miles, you decide the entire city is a sinkhole. Frankly, I am offended. I think you owe me and my fellow Toledoans an apology.

inline_image_preview.jpg

You're not wrong about Kansas City (downtown is basically putting lipstick on a pig) and I shouldn't have judged a place through only driving through an industrial area. I'm sorry I said Toledo was a sinkhole. 

44 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

You're not wrong about Kansas City (downtown is basically putting lipstick on a pig) and I shouldn't have judged a place through only driving through an industrial area. I'm sorry I said Toledo was a sinkhole. 

No need to apologize. It was totally tongue-in-cheek. I wasn't serious. Hell, I've never even been to Kansas City. 😎

BB52Big.jpg

11 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

Doubt it.  How many star players make for great coaches in any sport?  Usually it's the backups that make for the best advisors, because they had to study and learn how everything works, while the Tom Bradys of the world just "do things" because they're good enough to do those things.

8 hours ago, tjs11 said:

most people get better at things the more they practice. crazy but true

Crazy, right?  Practice by doing!  You can practice against dummies however long you want, but you're not going to learn until you practice in the field.  That's how lots of things work.  If your QB can sit for a season, why can't the safety you just drafted? 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 5/1/2021 at 11:28 AM, dont care said:

You’re insane for thinking any of the top 5 qb’s would go that low. Heck Mac going at 15 was realistically the lowest any of those qbs would have went.

Some had him dropping to Chicago in the 20's.

On 4/30/2021 at 4:53 PM, infrared41 said:

Totally forgot about Art Schlichter. That being said, according to Pro Football Reference, Schlichter played 13 games in the NFL. 3 TDs and 11 INTs. He was 0-6 as a starter. Craig Krenzel had a better NFL career and he only lasted one season.

True. But who is more famous (or infamous)?

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

On 4/30/2021 at 5:33 PM, Brass said:

Yes they would. It's why jokes have endured on these forums regarding a handful of insufferable fans from other sports teams. Ever heard of "New England-jacked" in a thread? No, you haven't, because it's "Clevejacked." Anyone ever joked about turning the TD Garden into a parking lot? No, you haven't, because that's what those 1-2 Coyotes fans are for. The people here don't target you because you're a Boston sports fan. They target you for your method going about it. We're not victims of a blown call during a game or concentrated attacks from other fan bases. Let other teams celebrate and have hope before talking about how meaningless and insignificant their teams are. It's SPORTS. We don't need to convince others how successful our franchises have been. They disagree? COOL. Let them. Move on.

We've had/currently have some really great Boston fans here who have shown that not all Boston fans are Medford asshats. We've done a great job building that up. We prefer you don't ruin it. Are we defensive about our teams? Absolutely! But you need to maintain perspective. We've had an amazing run for our teams since 2000, and we're speaking from a position of privilege. We cannot forget that. Not all have been as fortunate as we have been. We have n-o-t-h-i-n-g to complain about now nor for the next maybe 10-15 years. I don't know, ask @Sport. He mentioned something like that a while back. Gave a solid timeline.

Not trying to play mod here, so if I am overstepping the line, please edit.

10-15 years of straight SUCK, nothing going right, players demanding trades, coaches fistfighting, unwatchable, hopeless football would be the bare minimum punishment for the horrific atrocities the Patriots perpetrated over the last 20 years. See the 49ers as an example. Their fans had it better than anyone for about 15 years and then got knocked down a few pegs and now they can wrestle around in the muck with the rest of us. Cowboys fans too, I suppose. Truthfully, though, if you guys went the rest of your lives and never saw a Boston team win another championship you'd still have more than your fair share. 

To add to your point - punching down is lame in any situation. It's ULTRA F****** LAME when you're doing it from some high horse you didn't even earn, which is what being a fan of a good team is. None of us have anything to do with anything these teams do win or lose so don't be snotty when a usually bad team gets a piece of good fortune. 

I can make fun of the Bears because my team is similarly low status (even lower status, I'd argue). Patriots fans cannot make fun of the Bears unless you wanna look like a dick and get called out by people. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 minute ago, Sport said:

I can make fun of the Bears because my team is similarly low status (even lower status, I'd argue). Patriots fans cannot make fun of the Bears unless you wanna look like a dick and get called out by people. 

a795e56009f505e2a1e7c5e79678abd3.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

This isn’t relevant to the topic at hand, but I just gotta get this off my chest

Cowboys fans are the dumbest fan base in the US by far, oh my effing god. Like the kind of dumb ignorance that makes you want to delete yourself from the internet and move to a country that has never heard of the Dallas Cowboys. 

I know we have some good fans, who are knowledgeable and good people, but my god, most of the fan base are absolute morons. I can’t stand most of my interactions with them. 

The older I become, the more I regret young me choosing to become a Cowboys fan. I wish I could build a time machine, go back to when I became a Cowboys fan and slap him. 

The audacity of little me choosing this life. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Archived