2021-22 NBA Changes

On 1/27/2022 at 1:40 AM, Digby said:

Honestly I feel way more animosity toward other teams in my team's conference than I do in the opposing conference (not including the Lakers and, arbitrarily, Dallas) ... so I've never felt a strong pull to root for a team that's got one or two of my guys but way more rivals, and maybe that's also why spinning up a brand for the conferences each year felt so pointless to me. 

On 1/27/2022 at 2:49 AM, FinsUp1214 said:

I totally get where you’re coming from with rivals in your own conference, I think there’s a lot of validity in that thought. I guess for me I don’t mind the conference rivals teaming up for one night in the year though. I can set aside my animosity towards Lakers or Warriors if it helps one or more Jazz players win too.

I find it refreshing and interesting to set aside the animosity and rivalry for one night of the year and have fun and join forces with other star players from teams representing the same conference in a game against the other conference. So, there definitely is a place for that kind of a set up and inter-conference clash and pride. Let alone the fact that the competition in the league comes down to the one best team from each conference, respectively, and both conferences are compared constantly in terms of strength among fans. 

On the other hand, I couldn't care less about the outcome of a pickup game between the buddies the two captains pick to their teams.

Edited by truepg
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

But that's the company's .... actual name. That's exactly how it should refer to itself in a news release. 

Specifically in this instance:
"The knit material is new to the NIKE, Inc. NBA All-Star uniforms."

All other mentions are fine but still superfluous, IMO.

On 2/6/2022 at 4:44 AM, pepis21 said:

All Star Game court:

FKwqq27X0AM9tyM?format=jpg&name=large
I like different styles of floor in paint.

This ... works. It totally goes with the whole "remix" 75th anniversary theme. I love the subtle ASG tributes to Cleveland. It's a good look for an ASG. Too bad the jerseys are sh**.

• Like 3

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 1/24/2022 at 3:29 AM, truepg said:

Having All-Star uniforms feels like nothing more than a money-grab. It was more interesting indeed when everyone played in their teams' uniform. I can see some justification, if they're based on the host team's identity. Otherwise no.

I agree with this 100%. I feel like the NBA should revert the All-Star Game format back to Eastern Conference vs. Western Conference, and should allow players representing their conference to wear their team's uniform design in the All-Star Game, like how it was from 1997-2002. The only catch is that when the All-Star Game is based in a Western Conference city, the Western Conference All-Stars (including those from the Los Angeles Lakers) should wear their team's white Association Edition uniform design in that particular game.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2022 at 5:44 AM, pepis21 said:

All Star Game court:

FKwqq27X0AM9tyM?format=jpg&name=large
I like different styles of floor in paint.

This looks great ... right until it's ruined by the teal/gray and red all-star game uniforms that will look completely out of place on this court. 

• Like 6
  • Hurl 1

9 hours ago, CATLogo1 said:

I agree with this 100%. I feel like the NBA should revert the All-Star Game format back to Eastern Conference vs. Western Conference, and should allow players representing their conference to wear their team's uniform design in the All-Star Game, like how it was from 1997-2002. The only catch is that when the All-Star Game is based in a Western Conference city, the Western Conference All-Stars (including those from the Los Angeles Lakers) should wear their team's white Association Edition uniform design in that particular game.

I would be "okay" with that. The alternate white jersey does fix the problem the NBA had in Oakland in 2000. But, honestly, I prefer a uniform ASG jersey in the NBA. I like when they are just a little over the top. Just put effort into it, tie them into the host city or team and/or go back to color vs. color with a blue vs. red matchup. 

B5KiEs1CAAAiEfW.png

2011+NBA+All+Star+Game+Y82XmqpjKRYx.jpg

• Like 1

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Just gonna throw in my two cents, but is it at all possible that all-star uniforms can be players' teams' normal designs, but with their original colors swapped out to match those of the host city? Say, for instance, in this year's all-star game, Joel Embiid is on the team wearing colored uniforms (or Hal Greer in my very rough mockup). He would wear his regular colored Sixers jersey design, but with wine and gold swapped in place of blue and red. Thoughts?

5Bvnwxe.png

• Like 4
  • Love 1

38 minutes ago, Pyromania1983 said:

Just gonna throw in my two cents, but is it at all possible that all-star uniforms can be players' teams' normal designs, but with their original colors swapped out to match those of the host city? Say, for instance, in this year's all-star game, Joel Embiid is on the team wearing colored uniforms (or Hal Greer in my very rough mockup). He would wear his regular colored Sixers jersey design, but with wine and gold swapped in place of blue and red. Thoughts?

5Bvnwxe.png

They could in theory, but in practice I think it’ll be a mess

16 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

This looks great ... right until it's ruined by the teal/gray and red all-star game uniforms that will look completely out of place on this court. 

I wonder, if anyone with insight knows, if there is an explanation to why the unis are designed with such a mismatch to the all-star court and branding like this time around? Last year's Pacers-inspired uniforms in Atlanta don't count for known reasons.  Last time I remember the uniform design following the brand was in Toronto. 

9 hours ago, Pyromania1983 said:

5Bvnwxe.png

I don't have any inside knowledge but it's possible changing color schemes of copyrighted designs might cause contractual issues. In theory I like your idea and I think other people would like it too

52 minutes ago, O.C.D said:

I don't have any inside knowledge but it's possible changing color schemes of copyrighted designs might cause contractual issues. In theory I like your idea and I think other people would like it too

Not only that, but there's also the question of production efficiency. It would seem much more reasonable to produce one-off uniforms for an entire team (or simply use their regular game uniforms)  than it would be to create a dozen or so one-offs for individual players.  On top of that, you have to consider the production timelines. We only learned the all-star starters a few weeks ago, and I don't think the full roster was known until last week. Even if they prepped designs for every team in advance, that sort of turnaround seems like a tall order.

• Like 3

It's a nice design exercise idea but it runs into the MLB All-Star Game hat problem, where I don't know how many fans of the other 29 teams are really saying, "boy I wish I was a fan of the 1970s San Diego Padres, instead".

I thought a decent idea was when the Rising Stars game was in Brooklyn and each player had their normal team wordmark on the jersey (in the Adidas days no less). Though unfortunately they all shared the odious Nets number font.

2015risingstarschallenge-adidasjerseys-b

• Like 5

4 hours ago, truepg said:

I wonder, if anyone with insight knows, if there is an explanation to why the unis are designed with such a mismatch to the all-star court and branding like this time around? Last year's Pacers-inspired uniforms in Atlanta don't count for known reasons.  Last time I remember the uniform design following the brand was in Toronto. 

Two different design teams, that don't communicate for some dumb reason (likely hubris), designed the uniforms and the court separately. Makes no damned sense to me.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Conrad. said:

Two different design teams, that don't communicate for some dumb reason (likely hubris), designed the uniforms and the court separately. Makes no damned sense to me.

I assumed it was two different teams, but that's very common practice, and it doesn't prevent all the teams from following the same defined brand. Moreover, it's what usually would be done.

On 1/25/2022 at 4:16 PM, Germanshepherd said:

Twitter has shown a turning tide in favor of returning to the old team uniform style. About time popular Twitter opinion got it right, hopefully it leads to a switch back.

Like @Lights Out said, this always seemed bush league to me. It's as if the NBA didn't want to pay for actual All Star uniforms, so they just told guys to bring their own. I don't love it for baseball either, but at least every MLB team uses a white (or close to it) home uniform & a grey (or close to it) road jersey.

I also like the idea of All Star-specific jerseys for people who want to buy a jersey of a player they like, but who happens to play for a team they aren't a fan of. For example, I wanted to buy a Wayne Gretzky jersey, but wasn't interested in wearing an Oilers/Kings/Blues/Rangers jersey. Instead I bought one of the orange Campbell conference All Star jerseys.

• Like 1