2021-22 NBA Changes

56 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I might be way late on this…but did Nike fix the Lakers’ gold this year?? Was it last year?  Looks far less highlighterish and more traditional.

I think it just depends on the lighting. There are plenty of times it still looks banana yellow, especially when they play other team that have gold in their color scheme.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, dont care said:

I think it just depends on the lighting. There are plenty of times it still looks banana yellow, especially when they play other team that have gold in their color scheme.

Yeah, as far as I can tell, the Nike jerseys have only ever appeared gold in arenas that use theater lighting, like Staples Center and MSG. I remember an LA Times article from a couple years ago in which some Lakers official claimed that the jerseys had gotten too orange during the Adidas years and that the Lakers were simply bringing back the shade of gold that was used during the Showtime era. Pretty sure they also said that the team would look into darkening the shade due to fan uproar but that obviously hasn't happened yet, so they might've just been a liar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperNerdToTheRescue said:

I remember an LA Times article from a couple years ago in which some Lakers official claimed that the jerseys had gotten too orange during the Adidas years and that the Lakers were simply bringing back the shade of gold that was used during the Showtime era. Pretty sure they also said that the team would look into darkening the shade due to fan uproar but that obviously hasn't happened yet, so they might've just been a liar.

Hadn't heard that info before. Interesting. It would definitely explain, why the Lakers have this lighter yellow shade issue, all while Nike has had the proper darker shade available for the Jazz.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, SuperNerdToTheRescue said:

Yeah, as far as I can tell, the Nike jerseys have only ever appeared gold in arenas that use theater lighting, like Staples Center and MSG. I remember an LA Times article from a couple years ago in which some Lakers official claimed that the jerseys had gotten too orange during the Adidas years and that the Lakers were simply bringing back the shade of gold that was used during the Showtime era. Pretty sure they also said that the team would look into darkening the shade due to fan uproar but that obviously hasn't happened yet, so they might've just been a liar.

Even assuming that's true, it becomes a test of how much arena lighting (theater or otherwise) has changed in the modern era of LEDs, and also how much are memories are affected by now only seeing those jerseys on film. Really seems like something that you just gotta go with what feels right... and I still don't think the Lakers gold quite feels right? (I also do not know even the first thing about sourcing and coloring fabric.)

• Like 1

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

On 11/23/2021 at 3:07 PM, Digby said:

The tough thing about the Spurs/fiesta is that the wordmark and logo have always stayed black and silver, and they aren't really recolorable. This has always been the obstacle to a fiesta jersey, and that's why last year's, as well as the vintage warmups we all know and love, found success in always using scripts that were well outside the standard Spurs brand identity.

Should just use the city name and do something like what Conrad mocked up. I love how this looks

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

What I don't understand on the Nets grays are the outlines... like the white numbers/names would look better on that base with a black outline. But I get that they're the minimal fashion crowd and that its single-layer or bust these days. However, then why does the graffiti marker wordmark have a black outline? Based on the inspo isn't that the least likely element that should have an outline? 

Anyway, the old BKLYN ones were much better. As were the New Jersey ones.

• Like 5

While zapping through some NBA highlights I stopped at Denver vs. Washington and I literally just took a breath and thought to myself: "Damn, the Wizards look good in those. They might've never looked better."

TDP-L-NUGGETS-WIZARDS_AAO9832x.jpg?w=620

• Like 8

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

Generally agreed on the striping pattern and color scheme, it works better than expected, but they need to go back to the drawing board on all the type. The 00s whimsy number font is bad, the current font really only looks good to me when it's used for the "dc" or "district" wordmarks, which aren't even in the team name. Nothing better to pull from in their history either.