2021-22 NBA Changes

16 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The side panels are only on one side as a homage to this:

Lot Detail - 1987-1988 Darryl Dawkins New Jersey Nets Game-Used Road Jersey

Yeah, I figured. Would've still preferred to see the net side panels on both sides, since as I said, they don't really work together, and this style was already thrown back to previously.

I was watching the Bucks/Lakers last night and my impressions of the Bucks' City Edition unis really took a plunge. I thought they looked terrible. Just way too much going on there. 

I've always liked the Irish rainbow look of the Bucks, but forcing purple and one tiny little royal blue panel into the mix is overkill. I also hate how the pattern repeats on the shorts. I'd rather they lose the purple from the jersey and let the green continue seamlessly onto the shorts. Instead, it goes green-purple-green-purple. Looks disjointed. 

spacer.png

Also, while I recognize that the wishbone collar is an homage to their prior uniforms, it really looks terrible on this jersey. When these were released, I didn't mind them. But watching them in action, they were a real eyesore. 

• Like 7

^ Agree with all of that. It kind of just looks like a cheapo Target rack version of their regular current home jersey, if you look quickly.

I like the Nets jerseys only because the white mark, red trim, navy base color combo was never used with that 1990 Nets wordmark, and I think that part of it looks really nice. The small details don’t really go together but also aren’t as noticeable in game action.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I was watching the Bucks/Lakers last night and my impressions of the Bucks' City Edition unis really took a plunge. I thought they looked terrible. Just way too much going on there. 

I've always liked the Irish rainbow look of the Bucks, but forcing purple and one tiny little royal blue panel into the mix is overkill. I also hate how the pattern repeats on the shorts. I'd rather they lose the purple from the jersey and let the green continue seamlessly onto the shorts. Instead, it goes green-purple-green-purple. Looks disjointed. 

spacer.png

Also, while I recognize that the wishbone collar is an homage to their prior uniforms, it really looks terrible on this jersey. When these were released, I didn't mind them. But watching them in action, they were a real eyesore. 

Mashing up 17 eras into 1 jersey doesn’t work.  Most of these concepts are brutal - the Rockets, Bucks, and Nets being among the worst.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

spacer.png

Not a fan of the rainbow style overall, but I do think they did a pretty good job with these. The green shades tie in well with purple, and even though I didn't notice at first that there was also a blue panel, I doesn't really bother me or break the harmony. I also had a similar thought about the collar, but it doesn't ruin the jersey for me. Other than that, they really should've used the wordmark from those same jerseys that came before the current set.

What about their Earned uni from last year that had the antler template? Aren't we gonna see it again? Should've been their primary template.

Edited by truepg

Wishbone collars in general are awful. I don't think there's a single use of them I like at this point. 

Surprised to see mixed reactions to the Nets set. I think they knocked it out of the park and the side piping somehow works great to my eyes. I especially love those hybrid NJ/Brooklyn logos.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, PurpleRain said:

Surprised to see mixed reactions to the Nets set. I think they knocked it out of the park and the side piping somehow works great to my eyes. I especially love those hybrid NJ/Brooklyn logos.

The update of the 80s Helvetica logo is clever and I like it, but slapping BKLYN on the 90s logo is trying too hard. And having both in the same set is really just too much, but I guess that's the entire philosophy these days.

2 hours ago, Digby said:

The update of the 80s Helvetica logo is clever and I like it, but slapping BKLYN on the 90s logo is trying too hard. And having both in the same set is really just too much, but I guess that's the entire philosophy these days.

The BKLYN 90s logo is only on the warmup jacket though. The shorts have the 80s logo and a small Kidd-era logo with "B" on the ball on the belt buckle area.

After seeing most of new City in game I'm gonna say that at this moment Wizards is my personal favourite. This uniform look so amazing on court that I wish it could stay for a longer period than one season.

I'd also say that Warriors missed a huge opportunity to use that spear design on their shorts instead of classic Celtics like style:

d26a1ee0ddfcddb04f5899acdc36c3b1.jpg

Of course excluding pinstripes.

• Like 5

4r2eer.png

On 11/18/2021 at 8:13 AM, truepg said:

Always found that Nets wordmark ugly, and while they did the right thing in adding the Kidd era side panel pattern, the Dr J era stripe with the stars doesn't work there in such a narrow form. All in all very meh. Should've put the aforementioned side panels on both sides, they had always been very symbolic for the Nets to me.

The notch wasn't present in the big logo sculpture they repainted nor in the practice court graphics that we saw.

Seeing the logo in just plain black is very underwhelming, though. Would've benefitted of a yellow outline, if they're about to use it as a team color.

This is just the latest identity we'll desperately wait to be fixed, to restore the "real" colors. Whole league was basically finally ok; now they say they want to fix the chaotic historical palette by...complicating it more with one that's boring and completely unrelated.

• Like 1

Lakers in gold, Celtics in green is great!

Celtics wearing weird alts is less great.

Celtics wearing green at home is bad.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

for some reason the kings won't be using their city edition court. which doesn't really matter cause it was just their regular court design with a different mid court logo. i think something similar happened last season

and speaking of city edition courts, i haven't seen the celtics use theirs yet? 

IMG-7122.gif

17 hours ago, pelicanfan said:

and speaking of city edition courts, i haven't seen the celtics use theirs yet? 

They definitely haven't used it with their City jerseys yet, anyway, and no record of it on LockerVision. Maybe cooler heads prevailed. I know the Celtics basically can't participate in any of this modern City/etc. nonsense in a smart way, but a fauxback court when you already play regularly on your throwback court is extra silly.

• Like 2

On 11/17/2021 at 9:56 AM, MJWalker45 said:

I loved this look. The Spurs wordmark in black is the only thing I would have changed.  I really loved the warmup jackets as well. I'll probably grab one as soon as they are available in January.  I do think they should have had the Chaparral on the right shorts leg so it's facing forward instead of on the left. 

kYys3vR.jpg

clTj0ja.jpg

OlKg6iP.jpg

These are great, but I would add some black trim to break up the fiesta colors a bit. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Adding more colors wouldn't help, and they already have the black version of the Fiesta jersey as well. 

I don't mean adding a ton of black.  Just enough to fill in the white space inside of the trim. It'll help make the black "SPURS" wordmark blend in a bit easier. On the flipside, adding a fiesta colors border to the wordmark would also help.

The tough thing about the Spurs/fiesta is that the wordmark and logo have always stayed black and silver, and they aren't really recolorable. This has always been the obstacle to a fiesta jersey, and that's why last year's, as well as the vintage warmups we all know and love, found success in always using scripts that were well outside the standard Spurs brand identity.

• Like 1