2021-22 NBA Changes

26 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Best uniforms in the league to me!!!

...too bad the team sucks...

They flew too close to the sun with these ones, but I guess that was probably inevitable. The fiesta colours only work as an accent/compliment to the black/white/grey, not as the primary focus of the uniform. These look like they took a rejected Miami Heat Vice design, then lazily slapped their main wordmark on the chest.

• Like 9

i like this whole "city edition friday" thing that's going on. i don't know if that's an actual thing but if it's not it should be. or "city edition weekends" or something. makes the city jerseys feel more special. 

ps: i just watched the thunder game and them having a whole alternate court to match a colorless white uni is so pointless lol. 

• Like 7

IMG-7122.gif

14 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Best uniforms in the league to me!!!

...too bad the team sucks...

The problem with these is that there's a huge black wordmark,  but none anywhere else on the uniform. The white areas on the collar, cuff, side, and waist striping all should have black instead. That would make it a great uni. 

• Like 9

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

You know, even though the Hornets' jersey was overkill at the upper part with the pinstripes going over the honeycomb, it still ended up among the better sets from this mashup theme (they're still using the improperly thick stripes, like they used to on the Classic editions a couple years ago). A very cohesive and representative set of the Hornets' identity through the years, capturing the 90s' spirit and capitalizing on the current trends at the same time. It is basically a fashion jersey, which it's more suitable for, but that's where we are with the NBA and Nike nowadays, having teams wear different fashion jerseys on the court. BTW, Miami's set is as well executed in a fashion jersey sense.

The Spurs' set is nice, but I would've kept the numbers black too, with the colored outline, that's what it's missing to me to have the right visual balance.

Lakers' purple and powder blue set is rather nice too, blows their primary purples with black out of the water (which isn't a hard feat to accomplish). Boston also has some appealing elements going on in their unis, even though I'm not sure all of them – like the white nameplate under the number right above the white waistband – necessarily work together.

The Rockets' managed to make their unis quite interesting too after I wasn't excited at all to see them just switch the yellow in their championship era logo to gray. Very well constrained all in all without going overboard, using the T-Mac era side panels on the shorts on what is otherwise the Barkley era base, and the wordmark from their championship identity as a nice accent. I would've liked to see the 90s' rocket added to the center court logo, though.

Also, what is the grayscale gimmick that OKC is doing with the court too? Who thought it was a good idea with an already lackluster identity? Am I missing something?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, QCS said:

Yeah the Hornets' set continues to grow on me. I wish they didn't have the massive gradient but it's certainly one of the most cohesive unis from this Mixtape experiment.

I thought at first that maybe it could do without the pinstripes, since the honeycomb gradient is clearly the thing of these mixtape jerseys – otherwise it would be a perfect primary jersey without the gradient elements – but the stripes do compliment the look.

10 minutes ago, truepg said:

I thought at first that maybe it could do without the pinstripes, since the honeycomb gradient is clearly the thing of these mixtape jerseys – otherwise it would be a perfect primary jersey without the gradient elements – but the stripes do compliment the look.

I personally would like it the other way around - the pinstripes are a jersey element and the gradient is a court element and I'd rather keep things that were on Hornets jerseys (though I suppose the script breaks that anyway). In fact, the classic pinstripes and modern fonts are the perfect Hornets set in my opinion, though probably just have them be teal, purple, and white - no need for the multicolored stuff nowadays.

the user formerly known as cdclt

17 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

This is ridiculous.

gnIld5k.png

I've wondered and speculated about it, but who actually is in charge of uniform match-ups?  This isn't even one of the worst offenses of the past few seasons but quality control of uniform match-ups in the league has been an issue.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, PittsburghSucks said:

Cavs looked sweet tonight...

That Cavs court with gold key and red (maroon?) lines reminds me of the old Lakers' floor at the Forum.

On 11/12/2021 at 11:32 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

This is ridiculous.

gnIld5k.png

I guess I'm the only one who thinks this was a fine matchup. I'm not a huge fan of the Wolves' current uniforms, but the neon-green look at least has some character to it (the normal home and road are duller than dishwater by comparison). And those Lakers uniforms are fine in the context of what they're supposed to be, a historical mashup.

The final score was also a thing of beauty. 😎

• Like 3

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

19 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

I guess I'm the only one who thinks this was a fine matchup. I'm not a huge fan of the Wolves' current uniforms, but the neon-green look at least has some character to it (the normal home and road are duller than dishwater by comparison). And those Lakers uniforms are fine in the context of what they're supposed to be, a historical mashup.

The final score was also a thing of beauty. 😎

Unsure if there is enough contrast for them as players, but there is enough color contrast for me as a viewer.  It's an okay color, but probably more suitable as a color for a team from Seattle or Oregon (Nike).