2021-22 NBA Changes

16 hours ago, pepis21 said:

You're considering Jazz as your second team and don't know they retains City from last season?

Yes, because Nike's bs has gotten so out of control I legitimately can't keep up with everyone's ever-changing uniform rotation. 

Also I've liked the Jazz long before they unveiled this nonsense. So get over it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IceCap said:

What's weird is how someone going "I don't like it" brings out the pitchfork mob. 

Fans defending a widely liked thing is not a pitchfork mob. You called it “still dumb”, you’re entitled to your opinion but not sure what else you were expecting in reply.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Digby said:

Fans defending a widely liked thing is not a pitchfork mob. You called it “still dumb”, you’re entitled to your opinion but not sure what else you were expecting in reply.

If people like it, it's fine. But I listed my thoughts on all thirty of these, was negative on a number of them, and fans of one team took it really poorly. I mean I flat out said the Thunder brand was creatively bankrupt, but me not like "Rip City" brings out the anger. It's weird.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, IceCap said:

If people like it, it's fine. But I listed my thoughts on all thirty of these, was negative on a number of them, and fans of one team took it really poorly. I mean I flat out said the Thunder brand was creatively bankrupt, but me not like "Rip City" brings out the anger. It's weird.

It's not that weird. The Rip City thing was an alternate scheme for the Blazers since before the Miami had the Vice look, since before City jerseys were a gleam in Nike's eye (before they even had the contract). Obviously something there has resonated and established itself so it's going to have more defenders than the disposable City schemes that haven't done that. Could just be that "whiteout OKC is a disaster" is a widely shared take and "Rip City is dumb" is not?

• Like 9

8 hours ago, ltjets21 said:

I feel like these sets every team moved towards just mashing up generations which is an interesting concept. Outside of the sixers nothing really reflected anything in the city like they had in the past. Also surprised to see the Lakers ditch the legacy uniforms as they still had not made a jersey for Jerry West, Kareem, George Mikan, or James Worthy.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 75th year mashups are just a one-year detour, and the Lakers will be back on that "legacy" thing next season.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they abandon that ship entirely, pretend it never existed, and start serving up pastel uniforms representing "the energy of Venice Beach" or who knows what. Remember when the Jazz said they'd take nature-driven inspiration for a new City every year, but people just liked the red rocks so those got binned forever?

9 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

In terms of fans using the terms, I will concede that Sactown is ten times lamer than Rip City. (Then again, I doubt anyone says "Sactown"). So to the point of that poster (I'm not trying to leave their name out; I just don't remember and am too lazy to go back), the Rip City thing is not nearly as generic/contrived as a lot of these other ones. Perhaps "Sactown" is a function of what people have been pointing out; that adding multiple uniforms every year is going to burn through all good ideas in a hurry.

"Let me serenade the streets of L.A/From Oakland to Sac-town, the Bay Area and back down/Cali is where they put their mack down, give me love." Shakur, T. (1995).

It's also listed on Wikipedia as a nickname for Sacramento for what that's worth.

• Like 4

IbjBaeE.png

2 hours ago, IceCap said:

Yes, because Nike's bs has gotten so out of control I legitimately can't keep up with everyone's ever-changing uniform rotation.

It's not like this uniform wasn't a big part of their last season run so it's a quite weird you didn't notice it but ok, it's understandable because you can really drown yourself in all those uniforms that come every year and by you I mean all of us.

• Like 1

4r2eer.png

We’re still on the “Rip City” thing? I mainly got worked up yesterday because of it being called stupid and conflated with other city nicknames or abbreviations that don’t have any direct significance to the team or that weren’t conceived organically. I’m fine with people not liking it, and I totally get people just not liking it on the jersey. I think calling it dumb or stupid and conflating it with those other nicknames is a little misguided unless you’re from the area or are a fan of the team and can truly understand what it means and represents to those of us who are. It’s fine that people don’t like it, and like I ended up saying yesterday I don’t think it can be fully understood unless you’re from the area or are a fan of the team. 

• Like 7

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I honest-to-goodness believe Memphis may have just released the very uniform they should be wearing full-time. That’s the perfect blend of eras for them, and something that could absolutely stand on its own and last. I even love the teal accents with the navy and gold. Excellent stuff.

Detroit is a really pleasant surprise: I did not expect red-blue-teal to work as well as it does. The bolts down the side don’t even seem that gaudy, either. Kudos to them for taking elements that could have been a disaster together and making something really good out of it. 

It’s really easy to blast the Cleveland and Miami sets, but I honestly think Orlando is just as bad, for the sole reason that the orange is inexcusable. Everything that’s orange on that uniform ought to be blue, no exceptions. I have no idea what in the world they were thinking, other than trying to stretch the city court one more year (which is a poor excuse for hanging onto the bad decision of orange altogether).

Last thought; seeing how successful some of these sets were makes me mourn for the loss of what Utah could’ve done had they elected to try. Sure, it could’ve been bad, but I think they have all the elements in thier history to have made something great, too. Oh well.

• Like 2

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Also, some actual thoughts on each set of these: 

Atlanta: Love the yellow, love the return of the bird (it's cheesy but in the best way possible), and if they had chosen to go with the Pistol font for the wordmark & numbers, it's a grand slam. Instead, the ball stays in the park for a two-run double with not one but TWO mismatching number fonts! You didn't need to do that. 

Bucks: I want to like these more than I do. Honestly, don't hate there being 0 red on these, and wish they'd stuck with using purple alongside the Irish greens.... dropping the Blue & Cream entirely... along with making the collar & shoulder elements fit more cohesively with this design. 

Brooklyn: Winner. Would've used a tweaked version of the 80's logo showcasing Brooklyn with these & just that logo, but this is how you blend eras. Would love to see a matching white & then these as the full-time set. I think you could even do a "Brooklyn" script in the Nets script style & have it work. 

Boston: I feel like I'd like these more if there wasn't any grey on the shorts. Other than that, they're fine. 

Cavs: Honestly, using that number font with the trim they chose was smart. Blowing up a terrible logo instead of using a proper wordmark was not. Do like the shorts though. 

Detroit: I love these. The blue & teal works. The lightning stripes on the shorts works. The return of a red jersey is great. I just hope the teal stands out when on camera & doesn't blend in too much with the blue. 

Dallas: Y I K E S. This.... is how not to do a mash of eras. Every part of this feels like they were looking to embrace the worst aspect of every Mavs jersey worn & chuck it on this bad boy.... only thing missing is the sheeny fabric of the garbage jersey unis. 

Pacers: Once again, terrific. I've liked every single Pacer city jersey, each one being a better look for the club than their current Home & Away. Yes, even the checkerboard sets. 

OKC: Ugh. So, you actually do a decent job of incorparating elements of past jerseys, only to muck up the whole design by going white & grey? 

Kings: Why "Sactown"? The corny nickname thing doesn't work for you, Kings. Stop it. Otherwise, a little bland, but a fun nod to the Webber era. 

Warriors: I feel like a wordmark above the logo is needed, preferrably a new verion of the old "The City" wordmarks. Besides that, solid. 

Spurs: I liked last years Fiesta set. Seeing them do it again but with white.... it's almost too bright & comes off as garish. I feel like seeing them in action might help, but we'll see. 

Raps: Just okay. Do like the move to use the "We The North" font for the numbers, a unique touch. If they had to have gone Black & Gold again though, I'd have preferred a Huskies inspired jersey personally, as I think that would've looked great. 

Denver: I like these, but I've liked all the Nuggets City offerings. Wish the rainbow jerseys of both of those sets were the full-time Home & Away. Do like them embracing the ABA stuff though. 

Magic: Everyone has said it. Just do this in your normal colours. Stop trying to make Orange happen. It's not working. 

Miami: Why? These are terrible. You have some nice jerseys to draw ideas from & THIS is what you give us? 

NOLA: Overall, okay. Bland, but evokes the early CP3 days for me. Would've been a great time to update the old trumpet logo to use as a tertiary as I like the Crescent City logo. 

Sixers: If you don't know the story behind these, you're gonna be baffled & confused. With context, these move up into the top tier as a out of the box way to honour your history. That court looks splendid too. 

Rockets: I don't get why, but I like these. The shorts shouldn't work & yet they do. The wordmark looks good, the "nearly pinstripes" pop without a giant rocket on the front & these feel like a passing of the torch for a fun dynamic guard in Steve Francis to Jalen Green. 

Clipps: Feel like a weaker version of the CP3 light blue & previous light blue City jersey. Not bad, but would've preferred them going in a different direction (Maybe Elton Brand inspired?)

Wiz: This is nice. Not bad, not great. Just nice. 

Grizz: This feels like a better version of their current Home jersey, but given the warm-ups use Teal, I'd have liked to see it on the jersey too. 

Hornets: Busy, but I get it. The gradient effect is going to look horrid on TV, that wordmark feels so out of place & I'd like to have seen more Bobcats. 

Lakers: Meh. Purple & Light Blue is unique, but the shorts feel.... off? I have to see these on a person before making a final call. 

Knicks: If you're gonna embrace black, this is a great way to do it. Do wish the NYK token logo was featured, but these are clean. 

Minny: I feel like something gets lost when you drop black from this set, but it is nice look still. 

Blazers: Once again, just okay. I liked last years set much more, these feel almost stagnant. 

Bulls: I agree with what some are saying about the number placement, but other that, home run. 

Utah & Phoenix: You guys suck. This could've been a great way to get really creative & have something fun, but instead you go "Nah". That Suns leak was horrid, but at least it was SOMETHING NEW. And Utah..... plethora of looks to choose from for something that everyone could get behind. 

• Like 2

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

On 11/1/2021 at 3:59 PM, VikWings said:

The Spurs one is my absolute favorite.

Really like the Wolves, Nets, Hawks, Sixers, Lakers and Bucks too.

The only really terrible ones are Miami and OKC.

Don't understand why Orlando used orange and not blue either.

Chicago's is underwhelming.  Agree with Spurs, Wolves, Nets, Hawks, Lakers and Bucks.  Sixers one looks nice up-close but illegible from afar.  

Orlando one being orange is stupid, just like their orange alt, but just like their orange alt, you might need to invert the colors.  But again, dumb.

spacer.png

Why did the Suns and the Jazz opt out of having a mixtape jersey, again? The leaked Suns' set was decent  for the theme and on par with many of the better looks of all the rest.

Also, it doesn't sit well with me that the Hawks recolored the ball in the logo to red both on the uniforms and the court, making it the same color as the bird, while otherwise using the color scheme of that identity.

I also didn't expect the Knicks to look that good and fitting in black. They pull it off totally without having to roll your eyes at the sight of a team after another jumping on the black bandwagon just because (...it apparently sells well). What they did to the logo at center court leaves me scratching my head, though. I wouldn't have filled it all with black.

On 11/1/2021 at 8:15 PM, MJWalker45 said:

They debuted one last year, they'll probably just use it still. I hope their other Fiesta jersey stays in the rotation. 

HrHSUFn.jpgH4jXDcd.jpg

The decision to have two number fonts seems a weird way to go with these, but I guess it makes sense within how the program is set up.

The whole jersey just looks very bootleg like some unprofessional fan concept. It has the bird crammed together with the art deco wordmark above it in a double outline, and a different style, heavy block number in a double outline and a drop shadow stacked on top of it all. Then it has the number in a different font on the back, which doesn't work to begin with.

They needed to have the wordmark without any outlines, like it was in the original, or with only one. Should've also used the lighter number style on the front moving the drop shadow block font to the back, if they so much wanted to have two different number styles.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, truepg said:

Why did the Suns and the Jazz opt out of having a mixtape jersey, again? The leaked Suns' set was decent  for the theme and on par with many of the better looks of all the rest.

Probably because of huge popularity of their last season sets.

1 hour ago, sayahh said:

Orlando one

Speaking about Orlando I don't know if anyone notice but pinstripes are made from phrase *Why not?*.

• Like 2

4r2eer.png

On 11/2/2021 at 11:17 AM, OnWis97 said:

It feels like the only possible continuations of this are every team eventually using just about every color imaginable, the entire Essene of the jerseys being changed (e.g., giant logos on the front, or team names on the back and player names on the front), recycling old ones every few years, or incredibly subtle changes.

As to whether it's been and will be successful, I'm curious. Obviously if this leads to big merchandise sales, it's successful and it's not going anywhere. 

Are a lot of people really going to buy their team's one-year look every year? 

Wait until you hear about soccer in Europe...

For those that don't know...

Teams have a basic look (Tottenham is White shirt, Blue shorts, white socks) and they come out with a new one every year, with 2nd, 3rd, and sometimes even 4th jerseys which are usually completely off brand colors and design.

Pick any team and start looking through away kits. Its a branding disaster, and I fear the NBA is heading directly towards it. 

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/English_Football_League/season/2021-2022.html

edit: realized my browser didn't load all new replies on me, sorry if I'm rehashing old points

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png