2021-22 NBA Changes

I really don't like Chicago's. You know those generic hats you can get at gas stations / truck stops that say a city name in a familiar color scheme (e.g., "Minnesota" in purple/yellow, "Green Bay" in green/yellow, "Denver" in blue/orange)?  For some reason this looks like the tank-top version of those hats to me...even with the familiar cursive.

• Like 5

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I really don't like Chicago's. You know those generic hats you can get at gas stations / truck stops that say a city name in a familiar color scheme (e.g., "Minnesota" in purple/yellow, "Green Bay" in green/yellow, "Denver" in blue/orange)?  For some reason this looks like the tank-top version of those hats to me...even with the familiar cursive.

Nearly every newsstand at Chicago Midway has red generic Chicago sweatshirts with black letting (outlined in white) and I saw them and it made me think of how strong the Bulls brand is that I can see that and immediately think Bulls. 

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I like Chicago’s overall concept, but that gap between the word mark and number looks so awful and awkward that it nearly ruins the whole thing for me. I’m assuming that’s a purposeful quirk that’s in homage of something, but that’s still no good reason to do it.

• Like 3

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

5 hours ago, flyersfan said:

Wait until you hear about soccer in Europe...

For those that don't know...

Teams have a basic look (Tottenham is White shirt, Blue shorts, white socks) and they come out with a new one every year, with 2nd, 3rd, and sometimes even 4th jerseys which are usually completely off brand colors and design.

Pick any team and start looking through away kits. Its a branding disaster, and I fear the NBA is heading directly towards it. 

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/English_Football_League/season/2021-2022.html

I thought about this, and I honestly don't know how the NBA isn't already doing this.  I mean, it's a built-in moneymaker in terms of revenue,  and it's the one big-4 league for which it makes sense to do this (especially since half the time these days we can't tell who's who on the court anyway).  They'd be smart to keep it to a 3- or 4-year rotation of "kits", though.

(I'm just readying myself for the inevitable, being that I aged past the NBA target demographic long ago...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

16 minutes ago, tBBP said:

I thought about this, and I honestly don't know how the NBA isn't already doing this.  I mean, it's a built-in moneymaker in terms of revenue,  and it's the one big-4 league for which it makes sense to do this (especially since half the time these days we can't tell who's who on the court anyway).  They'd be smart to keep it to a 3- or 4-year rotation of "kits", though.

(I'm just readying myself for the inevitable, being that I aged past the NBA target demographic long ago...)

Clash sets make sense because a lot of teams use similar colors (especially considering how many times the NBA messed up and allowed almost unwatchable uniform color combinations to happen over the past few years)

The NBA  jersey rotations are a cash grab but the lack of quality control on some of the designs makes the entire league look bad. It's a testament to how quickly the bar can fall and how many people pay for the right to defend it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pepis21 said:

Probably because of huge popularity of their last season sets.

Speaking about Orlando I don't know if anyone notice but pinstripes are made from phrase *Why not?*.

It says “Why not us, why not now” the rallying cry of the 1995 Playoff run

• Like 6

spacer.png

If sports radio and social media are any indicator, this uniform set is insanely popular.  Pretty much all of the Sixers city sets have been hits (though last year's Boathouse Row was definitely polarizing) but so far the response to this one is off the charts.

• Like 4

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Who knew ten years ago that the players would be wearing fashion jerseys disguised as uniforms. Oh, and I forgot the Ads too.  I really wonder if this cash grab the NBA has overly done really made a HUGE difference in revenue.  I find it hard to believe, even if you're a jersey nut like we all are, that the line had to be drawn somewhere as far as purchasing every jersey that a team or even your own team drops. I'm sure someone here could make a "poster" of every jersey since the NBA started this crap, what it would look like. It sure would take up a lot of space.

• Like 3

On 11/1/2021 at 9:02 AM, sharplcd said:

VAZOU these are gorgeous! Thank you San Antonio! We deserved these after years and years of camo 

spacer.png

https://spursfanshop.com/la-cultura-season-3

La Cultura El Equipo Long Sleeve Tee

The La Cultura collection launched this morning, after debuting at the arena last night. The Spurs new gear goes on sale the 15th. 

La Cultura Mosaic Pocket Tee

San Antonio Spurs La Cultura Tumbler

• Like 9

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I think the most disappointing part about the Bucks one isn't the absence of red, but this hacked together wordmark on the front:

2122-cityedition-feature-9.jpg

It's clearly the Bulls wordmark with a created C and K that are thinner than the B, U, and S:

ae5hhmahks6aukvaj1eve8exy.png

The real one had wider, thinner letters, consistent letter height, and a serif on the C :

65154c_lg.jpeg

However, the balance of colors is surprisingly good considering all the eras that are smashed together, and it could have looked a lot worse, so I'm alright with what Nike produced.  Not blown away, not too disappointed, just meh.

• Like 16

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

10 hours ago, BBTV said:

If sports radio and social media are any indicator, this uniform set is insanely popular.  Pretty much all of the Sixers city sets have been hits (though last year's Boathouse Row was definitely polarizing) but so far the response to this one is off the charts.

They brought back the Vet Spectrum!

I am glad the Sixers kept their mashing of eras fairly restrained, too. One vintage wordmark, and an homage to their former home. Can only imagine what went in the reject pile if they tried to combine certain uggos from their past. Helps when their base sets are a mashup of vintage looks already.

• Like 4

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

16 minutes ago, VandyDelphia Mike said:

They brought back the Vet Spectrum!

So close!  Ball's in your court, Phillies!

While I hate the city and earned programs in general, the Sixers have had some really good looks come out of it.  I don't even follow basketball, but I've owned a couple city-edition-themed shirts / hoodies.  I really liked the cream Phila one, and both Rocky ones, and now the Spectrum one.

creamphila.jpg rocky.jpg   whiterocky.jpg   

I also like their broken-snake branding and got this hoodie.

ff_4115181-c99d4bc148b92dcca3c1alt2_full

• Like 6

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

22 hours ago, flyersfan said:

Wait until you hear about soccer in Europe...

For those that don't know...

Teams have a basic look (Tottenham is White shirt, Blue shorts, white socks) and they come out with a new one every year, with 2nd, 3rd, and sometimes even 4th jerseys which are usually completely off brand colors and design.

Pick any team and start looking through away kits. Its a branding disaster, and I fear the NBA is heading directly towards it. 

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/English_Football_League/season/2021-2022.html

edit: realized my browser didn't load all new replies on me, sorry if I'm rehashing old points

Speaking of branding disasters, Aston Villa, Burnley and West Ham United all have almost the exact same uniform. So do Brentford and Southampton.

People have complained for years about Nebraska and Wisconsin looking the same (not as much anymore with Under Armour's tweaks to Wisconsin) and the glut of plain maroon-and-white teams in the SEC, but at least they can use the tradition excuse. How is it possible for a sport where the uniforms change literally every season to still be so uncreative?

As frustrated as some people are with Nike's NBA, it's nowhere near as bad as soccer.

• Like 4

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

4 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

As frustrated as some people are with Nike's NBA, it's nowhere near as bad as soccer.

The fact that someone else has a broken femur doesn't make my broken wrist feel any better.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

12 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

Speaking of branding disasters, Aston Villa, Burnley and West Ham United all have almost the exact same uniform. So do Brentford and Southampton.

People have complained for years about Nebraska and Wisconsin looking the same (not as much anymore with Under Armour's tweaks to Wisconsin) and the glut of plain maroon-and-white teams in the SEC, but at least they can use the tradition excuse. How is it possible for a sport where the uniforms change literally every season to still be so uncreative?

Those clubs you mentioned have all been around since the late 1800’s and have worn some version of their primary kits since either the late 1800’s or early 1900’s. They have their signature look and only make small changes from year to year. They’re not gonna abandon their traditional primary kits of 100 years or more just to differentiate themselves from other clubs with similar looks, especially when they can do that with secondary and third kits.

• Like 5

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

8 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

Soccer teams almost never change the home color scheme. Just kind of part of the deal with traditions for global soccer; the kits change often but the colors generally don't, at least at home, and most teams have a few rotating standard looks for away kits.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

Looking at each of those teams individually, they can also play the tradition card (esp. Aston Villa), but it's surprising that they all offer nearly identical kits year in and year out.

Like yes, there are American teams that look very similar, especially in the collegiate ranks.

My point in bringing up Europe soccer is the non-traditional kits that get worn too often, that have zero branding toward the main club. These teams need a "new" design each season, and get whatever color they feel like, random design elements, and the only way you know it's them is from the logo on the screen.

This is the path that the city jerseys are following, the main looks are fading away, and its about getting a new uniform that gets enough interest/merch sales that justifies making yet another one. The idea of a city jersey is awesome, but 1 new one a year is pushing it, we're running out of ideas for many of the teams. I've enjoyed a lot of the Philadelphia ones, but I feel like they have been towards the front of the pack each year.

Ex. Man City has worn almost every color, and for being a light blue team, maroon and volt is not a good "away kit".

https://www.footballkitarchive.com/manchester-city-kits/

Barcelona has also had some questionable ones, the pink and teal of last year being their worst.

https://www.footballkitarchive.com/fc-barcelona-kits/#2010s

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

The other key thing to the context of soccer uniform schemes is that, while their aways and thirds tend to be more out-there and change often, they're also very rarely used. Chelsea are now yellow and black for an away, dark teal and orange for a third, and yet I'm not sure they've worn anything but their classic Chelsea blue for this entire season, home or away.

No matter how egregious the kits get, if you make a soccer fan pilgrimage to Anfield, you'll be pretty certain that Liverpool will be there in all red, as it should be. But your first trip to Fenway Park might see the Red Sox in yellow, or your first trip to MSG and Knicks are wearing black with almost no noticeable blue.

I think the City uniform scheme might be less polarizing if it was limited. Pick a long weekend or two and make it a limited run. When teams, even historic ones, are wearing their off-brand uniforms for 20% of games, that's where the brand is getting confused.

• Like 12