2021-22 NBA Changes

13 hours ago, BBTV said:

If sports radio and social media are any indicator, this uniform set is insanely popular.  Pretty much all of the Sixers city sets have been hits (though last year's Boathouse Row was definitely polarizing) but so far the response to this one is off the charts.

It's a good uniform. One of the best of this series. 

Can we not call it Turkish delight though? Turkish delight tastes weird and I can't read that name without thinking about it 😅

44 minutes ago, Digby said:

I think the City uniform scheme might be less polarizing if it was limited. Pick a long weekend or two and make it a limited run. When teams, even historic ones, are wearing their off-brand uniforms for 20% of games, that's where the brand is getting confused.

This has long been my biggest gripe. While I think most of the City edition jerseys to date have not been good (although this year's "mixtape" series is the best I've seen overall), the biggest issue I have with it is the frequency. I did not need to see the Pistons wearing Raider tribute black and gray roadkill uniforms ~25 times a few years ago, for instance.

• Like 8

57 minutes ago, IceCap said:

It's a good uniform. One of the best of this series. 

Can we not call it Turkish delight though? Turkish delight tastes weird and I can't read that name without thinking about it 😅

Technically, they're referring to the player (who is Turkish) not the uniform.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Speaking of branding disasters, Aston Villa, Burnley and West Ham United all have almost the exact same uniform. So do Brentford and Southampton.

You can add Bologna, Crotone, Genoa, and Cagliari in Italy as well.

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

There might be subtle enough differences on some of those kits just based on which season those pictures might be from, but if you didn't know which team any of these players played for (I purposely chose pictures that didn't show club crests for this reason), you'd have a :censored: of a time knowing which one was which. And there are years, like last year, when all three are in the same league.

EDIT - apparently I don't know how to properly "hide" photos on this new forum design.

EDIT #2 - add Cagliari to that as well. Actually four teams last year in Serie A with almost identical kit concepts. 

• Like 1

spacer.png

7 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

https://spursfanshop.com/la-cultura-season-3

La Cultura El Equipo Long Sleeve Tee

The La Cultura collection launched this morning, after debuting at the arena last night. The Spurs new gear goes on sale the 15th. 

La Cultura Mosaic Pocket Tee

San Antonio Spurs La Cultura Tumbler

The most traditionally minimalist looking team in the league is embracing it's fiesta identity while multiple colorful teams try and embrace color minimalism. Even in current year the grass is always greener

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, O.C.D said:

The most traditionally minimalist looking team in the league is embracing it's fiesta identity while multiple colorful teams try and embrace color minimalism. Even in current year the grass is always greener

They've always embraced this for fan gear, just not uniforms. Now it's getting used by all sides. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

They've always embraced this for fan gear, just not uniforms. Now it's getting used by all sides. 

I understand the history of the fiesta color palette. The minimalist team wanting to go full color and full color teams wanting to go minimalist is ironic and funny to me.

8 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

There might be subtle enough differences on some of those kits just based on which season those pictures might be from, but if you didn't know which team any of these players played for (I purposely chose pictures that didn't show club crests for this reason), you'd have a :censored: of a time knowing which one was which. And there are years, like last year, when all three are in the same league.

EDIT - apparently I don't know how to properly "hide" photos on this new forum design.

EDIT #2 - add Cagliari to that as well. Actually four teams last year in Serie A with almost identical kit concepts. 

In most countries, there’s  a color scheme that was used by the most successful soccer clubs in the early 1900’s and everyone copied them, the team the founders  were fans of, or just what was available by the sports equipment stores at the time. So in England claret and blue (a “tribute” to Aston Villa, used by West Ham, Burnley, S:censored:horpe) and red and white stripes are popular, as well as yellow away kits. A sizeable number of Spanish teams wear either red and white stripes, blue and white stripes, white, or red and blue stripes. In Italy black and white stripes (inspired by Juventus), maroon (from Torino) and red and blue stripes or halves (both Genoa and Bologna were sources of inspiration) and away kits are almost always white. In the Netherlands, red/ white and black/yellow are very common color combination. 

It’s just comparing two very different things, most European soccer teams were started by small groups of people who met at clubs/gyms/factories, branding wasn’t a consideration at all. It’s more similar to a little league team wearing Yankees jerseys because the dad who bought the uniforms is a fan. Even nowadays, teams might change a thing or two from a kit or divert from the traditional design for a few seasons but the traditional design is known to every fan.

And so even the Italian kits presented above, for a fan they wouldn’t be too hard to figure out. Genoa is extremely conservative with their halves and hardly ever changes anything except collars or trims and even their away kit is usually white with a horizontal red and blue stripe,  Cagliari is also usually halves but might be more willing to experiment, Bologna is traditionally 4 stripes, Crotone was a lower level team without much support until recently so they’ee allowed to experiment  more. (BTW, Serie A 2005/06 had up to SIX teams out of 20 that could be argued being as being black and white. Luckily, only 2 wore traditional stripes, 2 wore “modern versions” of stripes and 2 had non-stripes designs (with one of those frequently wearing  another color combination). 

• Like 4
07Giants.pngnyy.png

I agree that European football teams copy each other's color schemes way too much, but realistically there's no way any of their colors will ever change. Hull City fans nearly rioted when the owners tried to rename them to Hull Tigers, imagine what would happen if a team changed the most recognizable thing about themselves.

Zzi6tDc.png

3 hours ago, osctheg said:

I agree that European football teams copy each other's color schemes way too much, but realistically there's no way any of their colors will ever change. Hull City fans nearly rioted when the owners tried to rename them to Hull Tigers, imagine what would happen if a team changed the most recognizable thing about themselves.

We don't have to - just look at when Cardiff City's new owners changed their colour from blue to red, purely to appeal to the Asian market (despite the team being the fricking Bluebirds). Didn't last long. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

Are they joining the NBA?

21 hours ago, packerfan21396 said:

I think the most disappointing part about the Bucks one isn't the absence of red, but this hacked together wordmark on the front:

2122-cityedition-feature-9.jpg

It's clearly the Bulls wordmark with a created C and K that are thinner than the B, U, and S:

ae5hhmahks6aukvaj1eve8exy.png

The real one had wider, thinner letters, consistent letter height, and a serif on the C :

65154c_lg.jpeg

However, the balance of colors is surprisingly good considering all the eras that are smashed together, and it could have looked a lot worse, so I'm alright with what Nike produced.  Not blown away, not too disappointed, just meh.

Which is weird because Bulls do already have a C with serif on their CHICAGO statement jerseys. Does anyone know which font is used on the Bulls' jersey and which was used for the one in the 1970s?

20 hours ago, pelicanfan said:

hawks did a real nice crisp job on the paint fading for their new court. unlike whatever miami was trying to do last year

Eq7mj23W8AE6nTk.jpg

Yeah, I really love what Atlanta did with thier court. It might be my favorite new court this year. If they wanted to wear one of the Mutumbo jerseys as a classic edition next year so they could use this court another year, I sure wouldn’t mind.

Of course that’s assuming/hoping they’d planned for that well in advance, but still. 

• Like 4

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png