2021 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVI

canzman

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, gothedistance said:

Probably would be too premature. Has anyone who gotten their number retired have it retired quickly?

Eagles retired Jerome Brown's number right after he was killed in a car accident.  He as a future HOFer though... not sure about Taylor.  Didn't Taylor have some off-the-field issues?  I'm not sure if he's the saint he's been made out to be since his death.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

49 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Eagles retired Jerome Brown's number right after he was killed in a car accident.  He as a future HOFer though... not sure about Taylor.  Didn't Taylor have some off-the-field issues?  I'm not sure if he's the saint he's been made out to be since his death.

Taylor didn't end up playing long enough in the NFL for this to be an airtight certainty when he died, but I have little doubt he was also a future HOFer. His style of play basically influenced an entire generation of safeties that followed. Odds are, if you see a safety wearing #21, it was because they idolized Sean Taylor.

spacer.png

10 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Taylor didn't end up playing long enough in the NFL for this to be an airtight certainty when he died, but I have little doubt he was also a future HOFer. His style of play basically influenced an entire generation of safeties that followed. Odds are, if you see a safety wearing #21, it was because they idolized Sean Taylor.

I dunno - there were already three HOF safeties playing at the time (Brian Dawkins, Troy Palomalu, John Lynch) so I'm not sure how Sean Taylor changed the position any more than at least Palomalu and Dawkins did.  

Nowadays, a safety is just as likely to wear #7 as #21.  I'm not sure I've seen more of a posthumous overrating of a person's career or of their character.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

I dunno - there were already three HOF safeties playing at the time (Brian Dawkins, Troy Palomalu, John Lynch) so I'm not sure how Sean Taylor changed the position any more than at least Palomalu and Dawkins did.  

Nowadays, a safety is just as likely to wear #7 as #21.  I'm not sure I've seen more of a posthumous overrating of a person's career or of their character.

Did you just totally forget the existence of the 'GOAT' — just ask Ronnie Lott — Ed Reed?!!?

Only player in NFL history to score touchdowns via punt block (all 3 of those blocked by himself; 4 total blocks before they stopped using him to do so in case of ST injury), punt return, fumble return (also many, if not all, forced) & interception return.

And that is just maybe the coolest statistical accolade to list / mention — which doesn't even take into account a handoff from fellow DB, Samari Rolle, nor a lateral to fellow Safety Dawan Landry for a TD assist — of far too many to rattle off upon a forum post!

16 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Ed Reed? Never heard of him.

LOL! Remember the 2018 QB draft class? Those guys (Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield & Sam Darnold) changed the way the game is played at their position! Granted, I know Josh Rosen was a bust. Also, I think there was a fifth one selected in the 1st Round, but I am currently struggling to recall his name. If I recollect correctly, it was a dual threat type of player often compared to the Michael Vicks & Randall Cunninghams of the world . . .

P.S. @BBTV I'm just razzing all in good fun, no offense intended!

43 minutes ago, ⋔ 4 ℞ ℞ $ said:

Did you just totally forget the existence of the 'GOAT' — just ask Ronnie Lott — Ed Reed?!!?

Only player in NFL history to score touchdowns via punt block (all 3 of those blocked by himself; 4 total blocks before they stopped using him to do so in case of ST injury), punt return, fumble return (also many, if not all, forced) & interception return.

And that is just maybe the coolest statistical accolade to list / mention — which doesn't even take into account a handoff from fellow DB, Samari Rolle, nor a lateral to fellow Safety Dawan Landry for a TD assist — of far too many to rattle off upon a forum post!

Oops - yeah, I did forget about him.  That's embarassing.

For what it's worth, Brian Dawkins had a "quadrafecta" game himself - in the same game!

"Brian Dawkins became the first player in NFL history to record a sack, interception, recover a fumble, and have a touchdown reception in the same game. "

Sean Taylor changed how the position was played?  GTFO with that nonsense.  A guy dies and is all of a sudden a revolutionary and a visionary.  LOL.

27 minutes ago, ⋔ 4 ℞ ℞ $ said:

LOL! Remember the 2018 QB draft class? Those guys (Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield & Sam Darnold) changed the way the game is played at their position! Granted, I know Josh Rosen was a bust. Also, I think there was a fifth one selected in the 1st Round, but I am currently struggling to recall his name. If I recollect correctly, it was a dual threat type of player often compared to the Michael Vicks & Randall Cunninghams of the world . . .

Much like "generational" gets thrown around way too often, "changes the way the game is played" is almost as bad.  There have been mobile QBs forever, it's just that every now and then someone comes in that's just better.  They didn't change anything, they're just better at it.  Randall Cunningham wasn't the first "ultimate weapon", he was just the best of his era.  Then Michael Vick took it to another level.  And I'm sure there's guys now that are taking that to another level.  But nobody is changing the game.

You want to talk about someone who changed a game?  Wilt Chamberlain.  He literally changed how the game was played, as they had to change the actual design of the court and make a whole new set of rules - which persist to this day - to neutralize him.

2 hours ago, ⋔ 4 ℞ ℞ $ said:

Mitch trubitski?

7 hours ago, NFLfan10 said:

Rams have corrected their error and announced blue jerseys tomorrow. Not sure why there are so many mistakes this season. Apparently they and Denver don’t understand the concept of the home team choosing what to wear.

Looks like everyone (anyone who paid attention to the Giants uniform schedule info) but the Rams knew of NYG's plans for that game. In the case of DEN, they probably didn't know from their opponents.

Cowboys vs Patriots is still suspect. 2 of the 3 Cowboys' visit to Gillette Stadium have been navy, where New England wore white for the 2011 game and silver for the 2003 game. But the 2019 meeting was the Patriots in their navy, so the Cowboys got to be in white albeit it was their alternate color rush one. I'll count this one in along with LAR and DEN until we know for sure and game time comes.

On 10/14/2021 at 7:27 PM, NFLfan10 said:

Jags are wearing all black this week. Perfect against the Dolphins hopefully in aqua pants. 

Both international games featured the host team wearing an alternate uniform, which doesn’t typically happen.

The only other time I can think of was when the Chargers wore powder blue, when it was the alternate at the time, against the Titans in 2018. The Bengals wore their alternate white color rush against the Rams in 2019, but CIN was the road team.

On 10/12/2021 at 9:56 AM, tBBP said:

And now, fresh from the "We Need Some Pics!" department (for those of us who couldn't or didn't see the game last night)...

usa_today_16937849.0.jpg

3000.jpeg

(*not from last night; just shows the combo)

151504.jpg

ravens21_wk5_lamarjackson2-800x445.jpg

I'll go ahead and say it: they need to make that permanent, either as an alt or primary. I'm of the opinion that the more team colors a uniform can properly show off (keyword: PROPERLY), it should be done. This fits that bill. 

On the other side, the Colts are probably the one team I don't mind wearing head-to-toe white, being that their uniforms are so white-heavy as they are--though it'd be nice if they had blue-striped white socks instead of the solid white ones. I'd say the same for the  Buffalo Bills, too--and don't they actually have a set of white stripes socks sitting around somewhere? 

But yeah, back to the Ravens: that right there is a great look for them.

I like that look to. I always dreamed of black lids, black jerseys, purple pants and black socks being default home while the black lids, white jerseys, purple pants, white socks with black, purple, and black stripes being their default too.

On 10/14/2021 at 7:27 PM, NFLfan10 said:

Jags are wearing all black this week. Perfect against the Dolphins hopefully in aqua pants. 

Both international games featured the host team wearing an alternate uniform, which doesn’t typically happen.

So teal is officially jags main home jersey? It almost doesn’t matter because jags wear white at home long enough anyways.

Archived