Minor/Independent/Collegiate League Baseball Logo/Uniform Changes

BigMac12

So that's what happens when the MLB cuts off support. Bodes well for the new system!

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1 hour ago, seasaltvanilla said:

Touched up uniforms for the St. Paul Saints now that they're the AAA affiliate of the Twins:

https://www.facebook.com/stpaulsaints/posts/10159408687949374

Like the addition of yellow from the St. Paul flag, and having the period under the T in St. Paul. Wish they'd bring back this script though.

Not a fan of the yellow in the same way I don't like gold with the Twins. The Saints new unis are far to busy now and the number font is atrocious.

The Madison Mallards of Northwoods collegiate league have rebranded. I'm incredibly disappointed in my hometown club. The wordmark and M are pretty great, but their attempt at 'vintage' looks more like 's*** clipart'. The cheese home plate, foot in each of Madison's lakes, and the circle of hot dogs is just too many kitsch things all in one place. The wordmark and the mascot look like two completely different identities. 

LogoLineup-01-1536x1536.png

LogoLineup-04.png

Madison Mallards rebrand focuses on local community

May 2, 2021 - 12:02 PM

The Madison Mallards, a Wisconsin-based collegiate summer team in the Northwoods League, unveiled a new identity this weekend that plays on connections to the local community. The suite of logos, designed by Planet Propaganda, a creative agency based in Madison, are headlined by mascot Maynard G. Mallard calling his shot

Read More...

Agreed. The wordmark is great though. The Mallards maybe collegiate league level but from what Ive seen they operate more like a traditional minor league team so I expected better from this. Honestly I saw nothing wrong with the old logo

• Like 2

Signature intentionally left blank

I think the M mark is great, and the word mark is fine. The primary looks horrible with the feet in puddles/lakes and the piece of cardboard/piece of cheese home plate, but otherwise, I find the logo largely inoffensive and a breath of fresh air from all the minor league branding we've been force fed from that one company. 

It's miles more interesting than their previous two logos,  and if somebody found the tertiary logo on a team letterhead from 1953, half this board would be ordering t-shirts and praising its return.

While I'm expecting some doozies that could end up Canton Ice Patrol bad, I'm generally excited by the variety that this new era of minor league designs could bring, as long as the designers are getting paid properly.

• Like 1

Yeah, this is... not good. 

This is the home cap. The winged-M has promise, but they ruin it with the tail, extra outlines and a drop-shadow.  Ugh. 

Adult- Mallards Home Hat, Gold/Mallards Blue

and this is the road cap.  The “cheese home plate” is fine in the context of a batting-mascot logo, I guess, but is pretty stupid on its own. 

Adult- Mallards Road Hat, Cream/Mallards Blue

I mean, that is the cap for a professional baseball team.  Ugh.  

Soft unsaturated pastel colors don’t feel particularly “Madison” to me.  Nor do they work for a baseball team. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

This is the home cap. The winged-M has promise, but they ruin it with the tail, extra outlines and a drop-shadow.  Ugh. 

and this is the road cap.  The “cheese home plate” is fine in the context of a batting-mascot logo, I guess, but is pretty stupid on its own. 

Soft unsaturated pastel colors don’t feel particularly “Madison” to me.  Nor do they work for a baseball team.

Not even when they're pulled straight from the city's flag??

5b579e0d24a80.image.jpg?resize=1200,891

And as for their use on a baseball uniform, well...Boston just put it that on blast with those City joints (which would work really well for, say, Tampa Bay). One can draw one's own conclusions. 

But yeah...yeesh on all those extra details.  That feathered "M" mark looks extremely well done enough to stand on its own in one-color; but the outlines and dropshadow kill it. I'm not even going to comment on the cheesecap, except to ask if Wisconsinites feel by this point the whole "cheese" thing is played out already...? (I mean at some point people should definitely know there's more to Wisconsin than just cheese...or dairy...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Soft unsaturated pastel colors don’t feel particularly “Madison” to me.  Nor do they work for a baseball team. 

Not to nitpick, but they aren't professional -- they're a collegiate wood bat league. Decidedly NOT professional.

Where I agree with you is that, like the team, the logo isn't professional either 😉

• Like 3

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

48 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Not even when they're pulled straight from the city's flag??

But they’re not pulled straight from the city’s flag.  The city uses a very bold gold and saturated sky blue, as seen on their voter drop boxes:

spacer.png

And as for their use on a baseball uniform, well...Boston just put it that on blast with those City joints

Boston also used a pretty standard gold and sky blue.  Not these unsaturated, muted  wall paint colors. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

The cream really doesn’t help. Maybe if the blue was more sky and less slate, it would be better.