USFL 2023 - Uniforms and Logos

sky1324

3 minutes ago, Bmac said:

https://twitter.com/jbosack/status/1494339940838039553?s=20&t=UHJ6npI6dDhLV7MWsrE4lw

Joe Bosak says the Michigan helmet is a work of art, so I think we're safe.

1 minute ago, DCarp1231 said:

While I agree, art is subjective 

Since he had input on the San Antonio Commanders helmet, I trust him on this. 

A view of the San Antonio Commanders helmet and the game ball prior... News  Photo - Getty Images

• Like 2
  • Love 4

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Ok, 4 teams in.  Here is my midpoint anaylysis.

Across the board good things:

1. Not going with only 1 jersey (AAF mistake)
  2. No unitards except white over white.
  3. All uniforms have pant stripes.
  4. No white stripeless socks
  5. 2 clubs so far have 2 different pant sets for greater variability.

Birmingham

• Overall very solid.  The pant stripe is a bit plain but I like that they have a gold and a white set. 
  • A solid, if somewhat nondescript A-

Pittsburgh

• A solid variation from Birmingham by using the yoke instead of stripes.  
  • Not sure why they repeated the helmet logo on the jersey when their secondary is a strong option.
  • Surprised in the lack of grey in the uniform except the facemask.
  • A solid A/A-

Tampa Bay

• Kind of maintains the tradition from the 80's though I don't like the striping as much.
  • Here they did use a 2ndary logo on the sleeves.
  • While I am not a fan of sidepanel striping, I like that they have the stripes coordinate from jersey to pants.
  • B+ just because I think the original 1980's look was better.

Houston

• I like the helmet better when it had stripes. 
  • A well-balanced uniform over, all, though black-red-black pant stripes would be my preference. 
  • Not a fan of these side panels, too drab/plain.
  • Not a fan of having 2 different grey pants.  Why not either white & grey sets or a black set?
  • The darker grey seems almost blue, which is weird
  • B-, just because a few minor tweaks could help a lot. 

I think I know what to expect from New Jersey.  For me the entire league will hinge on how they handle Michigan and New Orleans, since those were such iconic "forward looking" identities back in the 80's. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

They should have gone with gold pants instead of white, but not a bad look. 

bIdJJVJ.png

Not a bad look, but I think they should have added orange outline to the pants stripe, and like @gosioux76said, use the alternate logo for the sleeves. I hope the single color pant stripe isn't used on every team either. 

I am massively disappointed with this one.  The original Maulers had a great look.  This looks like 2022 crapped back out the Frankfurt Galaxy.  While they've maintained a trueness to the originals while doing an update on the Bandits, Gamblers and Stallions, this took a horribly wrong turn.  The orange yolk just looks garish and removing the gray pants is a huge downgrade.  Total fail, IMHO.

• Applause 1
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, LogoFan said:

I am massively disappointed with this one.  The original Maulers had a great look.  This looks like 2022 crapped back out the Frankfurt Galaxy.  While they've maintained a trueness to the originals while doing an update on the Bandits, Gamblers and Stallions, this took a horribly wrong turn.  The orange yolk just looks garish and removing the gray pants is a huge downgrade.  Total fail, IMHO.

That yoke may be why I like them, because they won't be sharing the same design as everyone else. I also liked that look with the Galaxy so that helps too. But the pant stripes are the most annoying bit here since they went with teh Pittsburgh Steelers wide stripes instead of Northwestern style designs. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Really not trying to lean into being contrary, but I like the idea of what they're doing here (though I think it looked better in video than in photo form):

274334609_134871632363648_92733729862350

I think it's because I can squint and kind of get Robocop vibes from the home uniform. I think having two sets of gray pants is dumb though, so they should pick one -- the blue steel ones, of course.

The misaligned stripe is giving me 2002 Bills flashbacks, but this one isn't as so obviously wrong as what Buffalo was doing. 

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

If Houston didn't have side panels and there was some more red on the home pants I'd be down for it but I think they're missing that. They're the worst of the 5 so far, but still a solid enough set. Could be far, far worse.

• Like 4

the user formerly known as cdclt

New Jersey bringing back toilet seat collars, furthering the USFL's commitment to exactly the wrong kind of nostalgia.

• Like 3
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

25 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Really not trying to lean into being contrary, but I like the idea of what they're doing here (though I think it looked better in video than in photo form):

274334609_134871632363648_92733729862350

I think it's because I can squint and kind of get Robocop vibes from the home uniform. I think having two sets of gray pants is dumb though, so they should pick one -- the blue steel ones, of course.

The misaligned stripe is giving me 2002 Bills flashbacks, but this one isn't as so obviously wrong as what Buffalo was doing. 

Yes! I couldn't exactly pinpoint what I didn't like about these, but you're 100% right. I'm getting strong Bills vibes from those jersey side panels. Completely ruins the set for me. 

• Like 1