Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

1 minute ago, DCarp1231 said:

spacer.png

Gross. There is way too much going on there. I hope that was just a prototype and they refined it.

4 minutes ago, ptaylor said:

I'm also willing to bet the seal on the uniform doesn't include the outer white section with the team name and that stupid 'People's Team' slogan.

I really hope so. That's going to be a mess at that scale.

I wouldn't say I hate Commanders, but I definitely don't like it either. It's clunky and doesn't have a good shortened nickname like "Bucs" for Buccaneers. Are we supposed to call them the "Coms"? No thanks. I'm also not a fan of military fetishization, however, Commanders makes sense for the name Washington. So it's better than Admirals or Armada, but only barely.

I really can't see myself calling them "Commanders" every time I talk about them. I've already been calling them just "Washington" for a while now, so I think I'll just stick with that. Although calling them the "32s" could work since it's in one of the apparent logos.

And also a fun fact for why 32s works well: George Washington was born in 1732.

• Like 10

spacer.png

3 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

There is one thing that has driven me nuts since the WFT name started, and it has nothing to do with the name. It's the fact that people keep calling them the Football Team to mock the name. For example,  announcers say "a pick 6 for the football team!" Just call them Washington when you refer to them on the field. It's not that hard. People make it more awkward than it has to be.  I think the awkwardness of WFT has been more fabricated than anything. Soccer has entire leagues made up of these names and the teams are just referred to by their home city. 

Counter-argument: "Washington Football Team" is a dumb placeholder that's overstayed its welcome and deserves ridicule. 

• Like 19

Commanders 🙄 sounds very minor league (AAF).  Armada is awesome, but wouldn't work with the colors.  Admirals is minor league too (NFLE) but at least it's a higher rank and sounds more like an NFL team name.

Unless this is all a decoy 🤔  They're showing an awful lot of graphics on videos almost a month before the big reveal. Seems kinda fishy.

spacer.png

Last updated 5/23

Commanders checks a lot of boxes. It's unique to pro sports. It lends itself to a certain seriousness and sophistication without resorting to stereotypical DC tropes. It's also a military-inspired name that doesn't necessarily need to play off military visual themes, so we can avoid any sort of GI Joe cosplay. 

Of the choices left, this one, to me, feels right for the NFL. 

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Commanders checks a lot of boxes. It's unique to pro sports. It lends itself to a certain seriousness and sophistication without resorting to stereotypical DC tropes. It's also a military-inspired name that doesn't necessarily need to play off military visual themes, so we can avoid any sort of GI Joe cosplay. 

Of the choices left, this one, to me, feels right for the NFL. 

My preferences were:

1. DC Power (which I made up and was never a candidate anywhere but my own mind)

2. Keeping Washington FT

3. Not Redwolves/Redtails/Red anything

4. Commanders is fine I guess!

Commanders is a mouthful, but it does feel, ahem, commanding. It's a fine name for a self-important franchise in a self-important football league. I'm totally fine with it.

And, should it be real, I love "DC FC."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

16 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Commanders 🙄 sounds very minor league (AAF).

The AAF had some great identities. Better than a lot of other alternative leagues. You can do worse than being AAF-esque. 

16 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Unless this is all a decoy 🤔  They're showing an awful lot of graphics on videos almost a month before the big reveal. Seems kinda fishy.

There is 0% chance that this is a decoy. Every unveiling has one or two people who insist the leaked evidence is a fake or a decoy and it never is. Teams aren't going to go through the trouble and money of making fake crap to throw off some people online. It's not that deep. And it never is.

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

spacer.png

I see they're going for their own crack at Baltimore's flag/letter shield. Not a bad idea honestly. The DC flag is swank and the Ravens have done a lot with their shield so why not try and replicate that?

The name "Commanders" isn't my first choice but it's not my last choice either.

I would have preferred Redwolves. I would have rolled my eyes at Admirals or Armada. I'd have laughed at Washington Football Team. 32s would be the best choice 😛

"Commanders" is perfectly cromulent. 

• Like 4

Commanders is one thing, but the "Football Commanders"???  When they miss a field goal, why didn't they just "command the football" to go through the uprights?  Or command it to go wide-left when their opponent is kicking one.

Why limit what you command to just the football?  Just being the Commanders could imply that you command anything.  "Football Commanders" is dumb.

Also, The Rock approves of the "People's Team" moniker.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Commanders is a solid choice. The primary is too complex for my tastes but I imagine we won't see it all too often. I don't hate the stencil W and it might look pretty good on the helmet. I give it a "slightly nervous for the full reveal" out of ten.

• Like 7

the user formerly known as cdclt

41 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

spacer.png

Washington DC Football Commanders = New York Football Giants

The People's Team = America's Team

What did they take from Philadelphia?

• Like 11

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

As far as the wording on the seal,

”Washington DC Football Commanders” seems to be a jab at “New York Football Giants” while “The People’s Team” is as I stated before, a jab at the Cowboys being “America’s Team”.

I have yet to see anything Eagles related.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tron1013 said:

It's going to be Commanders. 

spacer.png

Didn't this graphic come from the team? They're really just going to let their new logo hang out for the world to see before it's revealed? I hope they would have better QC than that. 

Commanders could have been one of the options but chose to go with something else.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Last updated 5/23