NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

3 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

You're late to the party, dude. The Washington Commanders just proved that secondary helmets don't have to be throwback related.

Ā 

Truth be told, aside from the colors, Washington isn't touching anything R**skins related anytime soon

• Like 3

6uXNWAo.png

On 2/25/2022 at 8:18 AM, Old School Fool said:

Ā 

I've seen this movie so many times and I could have sworn the pants had two red stripes. Looking it up they removed the black in 1996 which is one year after this movie.

Ā 

Honestly, the Cardinals are such a boring team that I hardly ever notice anything about them or notice when they even play and realizing this about Jerry Maguire is just one of those examples. No offense to any Cardinals fans on this board, but they have never once had anything stand out to me aside from their current stadium. It's weird, it's almost like they should probably just do something ridiculous and off the wall with their uniforms but the problem is that it probably wouldn't work.

Ā 

I feel like the team is cursed is just cursed man. They gotta get outta that curse.

Ā 

Much like the Browns gawdy uniforms!

3 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Not saying this was the reason, but itā€™s possible Washington was given a waiver due to their set coinciding with an entirely new identity.

Even then, Iā€™m sure other teams would be biting at the bit to get non-throwback helmets.
Ā 

All it takes is one crack to break the dam.

No the rules are a throwback OR alternate that must go with its own uniform. How long that lasts before the ravens wear their gold and purple helmets with their white jerseys because they want to and the NFL is too chicken :censored: to actually enforce its own rules, we donā€™t know.

• Like 2
  • Yawn 1

5 hours ago, ARTnSocal said:

Ā 

That won't happen (everyone with multiple helmets) for the simple reason that that NFL said the new policy would be that teams can only have an alternate 2nd helmet IF it's part of a set that goes with a throwback. Ā Example: Ā The NY JETS cannot have a black helmet because they'd never before worn one. Buffalo can only have a white, red, or silver helmet (1960, 1961) ....

Ā 

This is what was said by the NFL when it was first announced.Ā 

Ā 

4 hours ago, QCS said:

I'm pretty sure the second helmet can be used with the alternate jersey, throwback or not.

1 hour ago, dont care said:

No the rules are a throwback OR alternate that must go with its own uniform. How long that lasts before the ravens wear their gold and purple helmets with their white jerseys because they want to and the NFL is too chicken :censored: to actually enforce its own rules, we donā€™t know.

Where is the source for any of these claims?

Ā 

I was under the impression that the NFL didnā€™t really specify any rules or parameters beyond the newly granted ability to have a second helmet. Iā€™ve anticipated that many teams would treat the second helmet like they would an extra pants option, interchanging it with every possible combo.

Ā 

Thatā€™s obviously not what I would want them to do; if it were up to me, a second helmet would be reserved for throwbacks only, sort of like it was before the one-helmet rule was put into place.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Ā 

Where is the source for any of these claims?

Ā 

I was under the impression that the NFL didnā€™t really specify any rules or parameters beyond the newly granted ability to have a second helmet. Iā€™ve anticipated that many teams would treat the second helmet like they would an extra pants option, interchanging it with every possible combo.

Ā 

Thatā€™s obviously not what I would want them to do; if it were up to me, a second helmet would be reserved for throwbacks only, sort of like it was before the one-helmet rule was put into place.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-approves-alternate-helmets-beginning-in-2022

Ā 

From this article:

Ā 

The revised policy allows teams to utilize a second (alternate color) approved helmet to pair with their Alternate, Classic and/or Color Rush uniforms.

Ā 

So any alt.

• Like 6

the user formerly known as cdclt

Its also notable to point out that the Commanders new black helmet can be worn at some point with their regular white jersey.

https://news.sportslogos.net/2022/02/02/washington-football-team-officially-becomes-commanders-unveils-new-logos-uniforms/football/

Both the black alternate and white road jerseys can be worn with a black alternate helmet

So, itā€™s reasonable to believe Washington has opened the flood gatesĀ 

• Like 3

Once alternate helmets become a regular thing, within a season or two, if not immediately, teams will wear them with whatever uniform they want to.

Ā 

I'm as sure of this as just about any thing in this world.Ā  So for everyone that's spent the last decade or so bitching about the "ridiculous one helmet rule"... Congratulations.

• Like 13

Once a team has multiple looks they have no look.

Ā 

I'm OK with throwbacks because they clearly represent a different era and that era's look, but multiple looks within the same era is stupid.

• Like 16

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

Once a team has multiple looks they have no look.

Ā 

I'm OK with throwbacks because they clearly represent a different era and that era's look, but multiple looks within the same era is stupid.

Ā 

I'm going to disagree there.

Ā 

It's very possible for a team to have different template, color balances, even logos across their overall look. We see it all the time in hockey and baseball where it works well (just think about how many teams wear pinstripes at home but not on the road).Ā 

Ā 

I think it works quite well in football so long as you get some kind of unifying element (defined broadly). Think about how different the NY Giants home and away looks have been for the last decade and a half, and especially since the team switched to white britches at home.Ā 

Ā 

Its definitely possible if its done well and there are tons of examples of teams that have done it well.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 4
  • Dislike 2

4 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Ā 

Ā 

It's very possible for a team to have different template, color balances, even logos across their overall look. We see it all the time in hockey and baseball where it works well (just think about how many teams wear pinstripes at home but not on the road).Ā 

Ā 

I think it works quite well in football so long as you get some kind of unifying element (defined broadly). Think about how different the NY Giants home and away looks have been for the last decade and a half, and especially since the team switched to white britches at home.Ā 

Ā 

Its definitely possible if its done well and there are tons of examples of teams that have done it well.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Personally I hate the Giants look and the difference between home and away. That's not a good example to me, as I don't think their look works.Ā 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Well when you no longer have 1 unifying element which was the helmet that becomes a mute point.

• Like 4
  • Yawn 1

1 hour ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

This!

Just the same old knee jerk reaction we see every time on here whenever something new is announced. Because old=good, new=bad!

Of course some teams are gonna go with a generic black helmet and it's gonna suck (I immediately think of the Jets and Eagles but some teams might surprise us like I dunno, the Cards maybe?)

I feel like some teams are gonna go with white since the stormtrooper look is trendy right now. The Lions might be one of those teams. The Bengals definitely will and it's gonna look great. Most teams could look okay with a white helmet but it's kinda boring

What I personally hope to see

Ā 

Bills - No need for a second helmet but red could be nice with the color rush or with the regular jerseys once or twice a year

Ravens - No need but purple might look good against the Steelers especially

Panthers - Process Blue! And hopefully by year 2 it becomes their primary

Bengals - White obviously

Browns - I can hear the pitchforks coming but why not... Brown? Not that they really need a 2nd helmet

Broncos - Orange. Either the throwback but why not the current helmet in orange? I think it could look good

Packers - Internet pitchfork mob coming once again. I can't stand yellow helmets. They need a green or white helmet

Texans - Battle red!

Jaguars - Teeeeeeal

Raiders - I don't care what anyone says, they NEED a black helmet. To hell with tradition, once a year at least

Patriots - Either white with the flying Elvis or maybe navy? I've never been a fan of silver helmets unless they're paired with silver pants and I don't like the throwbacks either

Seahawks - Current helmet in silver once or twice a year with silver pants. I don't like the throwbacks and lime green would only look good on paper I think

Titans - Powder blue

Ā 

I don't think any other team needs or should have a second helmet

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Dislike 1
  • Hate 1

28 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Just the same old knee jerk reaction we see every time on here whenever something new is announced. Because old=good, new=bad!

Speaking of knee-jerk reactions ....

Ā 

Like with anything, there's a degree of scale in play here that will define whether adding alternates adds or subtracts from the league's overall visual identity. I think we've witnessed with the NBA how alternate overload has watered down the impact of some of the league's core brands.

Ā 

I'm with @BBTVĀ on this, not because I'm opposed to anything new, but because I have no faith that teams won't abuse the situation and take it too far.Ā 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Yawn 1

5 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Speaking of knee-jerk reactions ....

Ā 

Like with anything, there's a degree of scale in play here that will define whether adding alternates adds or subtracts from the league's overall visual identity. I think we've witness with the NBA how alternate overload has watered down the impact of some of the league's core brands.

Ā 

I'm with @BBTVĀ on this, not because I'm opposed to anything new, but because I have no faith that teams won't abuse the situation and take it too far.Ā 

Again, knee jerk reaction. The NBA have up to four (or is it FIVE?) jerseys a year, at least one of them can't be worn for more than one season and they're strongly encouraged to think outside the box and experiment with different colours

You're comparing apples to oranges. None of this is gonna happen with the introduction of ONE extra helmet. I bet most teams won't even use their right to have more than one. Do you seriously think the Raiders will add a black helmet? or the Bears will add an orange one? The teams that are gonna add an helmet to the rotation are the ones that have already watered down their identity by wearing 20 different combos a year so in the grand scheme of things I don't think the league's overall visual identity will suffer much from it. No more than it already has at least. Until I'm proven wrong and the Packers come out with a matte black helmet, it's mostly just gonna be an opportunity to have more accurate throwbacks

• Dislike 3

1 minute ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Again, knee jerk reaction. The NBA have up to four (or is it FIVE?) jerseys a year, at least one of them can't be worn for more than one season and they're strongly encouraged to think outside the box and experiment with different colours

You're comparing apples to oranges. None of this is gonna happen with the introduction of ONE extra helmet. I bet most teams won't even use their right to have more than one. Do you seriously think the Raiders will add a black helmet? or the Bears will add an orange one? The teams that are gonna add an helmet to the rotation are the ones that have already watered down their identity by wearing 20 different combos a year so in the grand scheme of things I don't think the league's overall visual identity will suffer much from it. No more than it already has at least. Until I'm proven wrong and the Packers come out with a matte black helmet, it's mostly just gonna be an opportunity to have more accurate throwbacks

I mean, isn't it all speculation at this point? You're choosing to be more optimistic on this, which is fair. And you're right; it's perhaps less likely that the more stoic NFL brands like the Raiders and Packers would participate in this.Ā Ā 

Ā 

But in a sport with only 17 games,Ā  having anything more than home/away/throwback is just too much. And I wouldn't bank much on teams showing restraint. All it takes is for one to find a revenue stream and the others will be close behind.Ā  There wasn't a team that was untouched by the ridiculous Color Rush scheme. I don't think it's a stretch to see alt-helmets worked into that program.Ā 

Ā 

That isn't knee-jerk. I just don't share your optimism.Ā 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

Not a knee jerk reaction at all, or apples and oranges. When you look at the league 10 years ago versus now itā€™s completely different. Went from one alternate or throwback that could only be worn 2x to now having teams with throwbacks, Ā alternates, and color rush uniforms that can be worn over 4x (I forget if it was 5 or 6 times the ravens wore their colorrush and alts the last 2 seasons) and now adding an additional element being the helmet to mix and match where it doesnā€™t fit. Further destroying brands. The helmet has always been a teams principle marketing tool. Changing shells kills that.

• Like 4
  • Yawn 1