NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

9 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

This definitely makes more sense now. I always interpreted it as the helmet could only be worn with an alternate uniform, but now they say whenever it's worn that counts as an alternate uniform. So you get 3 alternates a season where either helmet or jerseys count toward that number. 

Honestly I think that is fine. 3 games a year is a perfect maximum to see any alternates, helmet or jersey

• Like 12

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

2 hours ago, Cujo said:

What's go great about the Giants helmet? Aside from it being attached to 2 Super Bowl wins.. It's a navy blue helmet paired with a royal blue uniform. It also features one of the most generic, mailed-in logos of all time, 'GIANTS'. Iirc that logo was basically thrown together after the Giants moved to the Meadowlands, replacing 'ny', because they wanted to include the New Jersey market.

Huh. Didn't know that last part.

• Like 2

spacer.png

Last updated 5/23

22 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

This definitely makes more sense now. I always interpreted it as the helmet could only be worn with an alternate uniform, but now they say whenever it's worn that counts as an alternate uniform. So you get 3 alternates a season where either helmet or jerseys count toward that number. 

Let me translate this.   Do whatever you want with whatever uniform you want. And please only do it three times a season until the first time a team decides to wear it more , then we can do some transparent language twist and pretend that was what we meant all along. 

• Like 12

38 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

Knowing what we do now, is it the appropriate time to completely trash the Saints black helmet even more? Everyone hated it but let it slide because we were under the impression it had to be worn with an alternate jersey. Instead, they’ve ruined their gorgeous Color Rush when they could have just used the black lid with their all black uniforms that they wear all the time.

———

The Eagles helmet is a classic example of a team having zero patience and putting out a black lid just because they can. It’s completely pointless. I can barely tell the difference from their midnight green. The stupidity of the black lid is emphasized by the fact it’s strictly a one year hold over until the kelly green throwbacks arrive next year.

———

Jets black lids are also bad. I think a white alternate helmet in the new style would have been a much better option and also allow them to blend the eras a bit. It would have been a natural look, but instead they have to go black because 🔥.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, insert name said:

Gotta love the Jets just completely missing the entire 🤬 mark but I expect nothing less from a franchise who are consistently inconsistent. 

"How do we make this bad helmet worse?" is what they probably discussed. 

So there is a story to this

As a Jets fan I know this but most other fanbases forgot or didnt know that Woody Johnson took a sabbatical to be the UK Ambassador for his friend 45. 

While that was happening, Christopher Johnson became CEO and owner of the team. Christopher is Woody's brother and while a co-owner technically, he never was as invested or took on football roles like Woody did.

So in 2017, Christopher becomes CEO and acting owner of the team. Christopher wanted to impress his brother - so much so he made a few bold moves. One of them was leading the HC search in Jan 2019 and hiring Adam Gase. Christopher was impressed by his knowledge and acumen but he knew nothing about the reputation and why Gase failed / was doomed to fail. He took power from the GM - became the man who called all the shots. This arrangement stayed until Gase was fired in Jan 2021 - Gase had CJ's ear. 

One of the other things CJ did was lead the new uniform design process. When Woody left, the idea was nascent and Chris was the one who led the idea. I think they did a decent job on going bold for the jerseys, but this is where the issue of the design is: the logo. Chris picked a snappy corporate "looks good in a twitter circle" logo that was suggested to him likely by a team business executive. The football is referring to "New York Football Jets" moniker - but looks tacky. The wordmark isnt bad its just flat. Both of it together topping a uniform that screams sharp and edgy? Not a great mix.

And the reason that CJ did that and didnt lean into the Jets history is twofold 

1. He wanted to leave his mark on the franchise in his short tenure

2. The Johnsons had a big disagreements with the former owner, the Hess (RIP Leon) family. Hess is the reason they went to green and white in the first place, as a fun fact. But it wasSo much so that they moved away from the 80s design after the Johnsons took ownership AND HAVE BARELY TOUCHED IT.  Its near impossible to find any current merch that carries that logo - they dont even make throwbacks from that era!!

And so Woody Johnson is likely figuring out what to do with the Jets moniker going forward - do they go with a main look inspired by the 80s look, or do they just throw back to it? The Jets *CAN* redesign for 2024 - but until then they are stuck with the conflicted look that they inherited from the owner's brother. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

What exactly is the appeal of BFBS to people who like it? Why do so many fans go nuts for all-black uniforms??

I think this is a really interesting question to dive in to. There’s really not another sport quite as obsessed with BFBS as football. In my opinion, people really do associate all black with a “mindset shift” and looking more badass and intimidating. What’s puzzling is just how long it’s stayed around, it’s such a consistent fad it’s not even a fad. Especially considering how the best, most intimidating teams in the sport don’t utilize BFBS (ravens are a primary culprit in this). 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, the_grateful_ted said:

I think this is a really interesting question to dive in to. There’s really not another sport quite as obsessed with BFBS as football. In my opinion, people really do associate all black with a “mindset shift” and looking more badass and intimidating. What’s puzzling is just how long it’s stayed around, it’s such a consistent fad it’s not even a fad. Especially considering how the best, most intimidating teams in the sport don’t utilize BFBS (ravens are a primary culprit in this). 

I think alot of guys prefer to wear black shirts and black in general just sells. Like the black Eagles jersey is a fan favorite because people like to wear it, does it look better on the field then the green? Of course not.

I am glad it was mostly only around in baseball in the late 90s-early 2000s.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EddieJ1984 said:

the black Eagles jersey is a fan favorite

I disagree completely with this.  Anecdotally, I see far fewer black jerseys than any other color, and I honestly don't think I've overheard any conversation (or been part of any myself) where anyone's praising the black jersey.

I'm sure there's sales statistics that would tell the story one way or the other, but other than the kids on twitter who tweet fire emojis, I really don't think the black look is too popular.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It's been crazy trying to keep up, but here's my tiers for all of the alternate helmets, since there's too many to keep track of:

Pretty Good: Bengals, Texans, Cowboys, Giants, Patriots, Falcons

Meh: Panthers (needs white/silver)

BFBS/Please Stop: Eagles, Jets, Saints

Also saw that there's at least 2 more teams within the next few days, barring any more surprises. Given the current conditions of current uniforms that can pair with alternate helmets, I can see these teams being next up:

Ravens: Purple

Browns: White, if they are keeping last season's throwbacks

Raiders: Black, unlikely but I wouldn't put it aside

Chargers: Navy, to pair with Color Rush set

Seahawks: Gray or Action Green (Please no)

Jaguars: Teal, again unlikely

Of course, given the offseason so far, I could be way off and the Lions unveil a dark gray or blue helmet, or the Dolphins unveil a hot pink look or something.

Whatever happens, I hope the BFBS stops. Hard to get excited for something that's becoming a too common pattern already. Along that note, it's weird that the Eagles went for a one-season black helmet. I know they were the ones that sort of spearheaded this movement, so I'm not surprised they want to take advantage, it just sort of seems like a waste.

• Like 2

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

10 minutes ago, SSmith48 said:

The odds of the Raiders doing any kind of non-throwback alternate is zero to none

• Like 6

6uXNWAo.png

Let me make another bold prediction. The Eagles will keep the black helmet, and add a Kelly green helmet when the throwback jerseys are ready.  They’ll decide to keep both, because honestly what’s stopping them. The NFL will then okay teams having an alternate helmet and a throwback helmet, as though they were ok with it all along 

You want to bet against it?

• Like 3
  • Hurl 1

Oh, and another bold prediction. Every team (with the possible exception of the Packers and Raiders) that passed on this idea this year is watching the twitter hits, the espn.com blurbs, and the Facebook chatter, and kicking themselves for not getting in on this. Next year it’ll be damn near everyone. 

• Like 4
  • Yawn 1

23 minutes ago, SSmith48 said:

It's been crazy trying to keep up, but here's my tiers for all of the alternate helmets, since there's too many to keep track of:

Pretty Good: Bengals, Texans, Cowboys, Giants, Patriots, Falcons

Meh: Panthers (needs white/silver)

BFBS/Please Stop: Eagles, Jets, Saints

Also saw that there's at least 2 more teams within the next few days, barring any more surprises. Given the current conditions of current uniforms that can pair with alternate helmets, I can see these teams being next up:

Ravens: Purple

Browns: White, if they are keeping last season's throwbacks

Chargers: Navy, to pair with Color Rush set

Seahawks: Gray or Action Green (Please no)

Jaguars: Teal, again unlikely

Of course, given the offseason so far, I could be way off and the Lions unveil a dark gray or blue helmet, or the Dolphins unveil a hot pink look or something.

Whatever happens, I hope the BFBS stops. Hard to get excited for something that's becoming a too common pattern already. Along that note, it's weird that the Eagles went for a one-season black helmet. I know they were the ones that sort of spearheaded this movement, so I'm not surprised they want to take advantage, it just sort of seems like a waste.

Luckily we'll never see anything crazy like pink for the Dolphins since the rules are tight (for now). They would need to add "vice" colors to their normal home/road uniforms to do so. Basically the only reason we see black on the Commanders road jersey.  

I'm assuming the Ravens will go purple, Chargers navy, Seahawks silver, Steelers in yellow or Bills in red. 

Browns in plain white seems like a no brainer, but probably the most boring helmet possible. I'll probably get destroyed for this but I wouldn't be opposed to them trying something Brown with stripes if they are going to wear the minimalist Color Rush set. Not sure the best way to handle the stripes though. Either two orange or the normal brown-white-brown with a thin orange stripe on either side, like Ohio State's black lids. Anyway it probably will never happen anyways. 

• Like 1