NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

13 hours ago, DoctorWhom said:

The 2 toned Helmet really stood out

Oh, it stood out alright. It stood out like a dog turd in the middle of my living room floor.

The execution of the two tone helmet was unbelievably bad and I can't see how anyone thinks it wasn't bad. They originally unveiled it as a gradient transition and it was way better that way, it was still stupid, but better and more tolerable.

2020-05-26_18-37-01.jpg

qrMGOAAkrgCrAOOeUnlGRCGsIBV9yVpy-6lxSXyq

Not to mention their explanation for the two tone was some dumb marketing speak about how it represents a Jaguar leaping out of the shadows, which is hilarious because the jaguar on the helmet is actually moving into the black space, so it's literally not what they said it was suppose to be. 

• Like 8

bSLCtu2.png

40 minutes ago, DoctorWhom said:

I just appreciated how it was something different & unique. Like it or not, you can't say it wasn't something instantly recognizable

Honestly, I think the current Rams helmets are far worse. 

None of those bolded words equate to good, though.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, Old School Fool said:

Oh, it stood out alright. It stood out like a dog turd in the middle of my living room floor.

The execution of the two tone helmet was unbelievably bad and I can't see how anyone thinks it wasn't bad. They originally unveiled it as a gradient transition and it was way better that way, it was still stupid, but better and more tolerable.

2020-05-26_18-37-01.jpg

qrMGOAAkrgCrAOOeUnlGRCGsIBV9yVpy-6lxSXyq

Not to mention their explanation for the two tone was some dumb marketing speak about how it represents a Jaguar leaping out of the shadows, which is hilarious because the jaguar on the helmet is actually moving into the black space, so it's literally not what they said it was suppose to be. 

Those helmets actually look awesome instead of the harsh half black and white. Also they were talking about the gold strip on the collar. I'd rather have stupid but fun uniforms instead of boring ones. This is why I love the new ATL uniforms and hate the new bengals.

• Huh? 2

7 minutes ago, fouhy12 said:

I would argue that, when trying to build a brand, being unique and instantly recognizable is very important. Those aren't the only things needed to look good, but they do contribute to that. 

Absolutely.  Rather than trying a unique helmet treatment. I would suggest trying to work with the color scheme. Teal, black and gold is already a unique color scheme. That uniform was trying to be unique for the sake of being unique. It could have relied on its color and been a good uniform. 

• Like 8
  • Applause 2

It's where I sit.

Yeah the thing about the ‘unique’ accolade is if you’re gonna use it, you have to at least be able to answer the question “why does no other team want to look like this?” or else you’ve told us essentially nothing.

Why does no other team have tiger stripes on their shoulders like the Bengals? Well, because no other team has a literal tiger as their mascot. So the uniqueness is good.

Why does no other team have shiny strips outlining their stripes and numbers like the Rams? Well, because it’s kind of a ridiculous thing to want on a football uniform. So the uniqueness is stupid.

• Like 8

I remember when the rumors first leaked about the Jags helmet from that 2013-17 set. Everyone thought it was gonna be like this San Diego State helmet...

San Diego State University Aztecs #47 Game Used Red Helmet DP03261 | eBay

And it actually could've been a salvageable set if that were the case. Alas, they took it way too far. 

• Like 4

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

59 minutes ago, Bathysphere said:

Yeah the thing about the ‘unique’ accolade is if you’re gonna use it, you have to at least be able to answer the question “why does no other team want to look like this?” or else you’ve told us essentially nothing.

Why does no other team have tiger stripes on their shoulders like the Bengals? Well, because no other team has a literal tiger as their mascot. So the uniqueness is good.

Why does no other team have shiny strips outlining their stripes and numbers like the Rams? Well, because it’s kind of a ridiculous thing to want on a football uniform. So the uniqueness is stupid.

that is kind of a band wagon fallacy. I agree unique does not mean good but neither does copying make something good 

9 hours ago, GriffinM6 said:

I remember when the rumors first leaked about the Jags helmet from that 2013-17 set. Everyone thought it was gonna be like this San Diego State helmet...

And it actually could've been a a salvageable set if that were the case. Alas, they took it way too far. 

I'd argue that it was less about taking it too far than that they didn't execute it well, as @Old School Fool demonstrates above. Not only did it not fade, their marketing speak explaining it was bassackwards (it was showing the jaguar hunting from the shadows, which should have resulted in the black part of the helmet being at the back, not at the front).

• Like 5

It's where I sit.

As much as I am NOT a fan of the proliferation on non-throwback alternate helmets in the NFL, if there was ever a uniform that just screamed out for it, the Chargers navy over navy alt would be the perfect candidate. A navy helmet would really finish the “dark mode” look or whatever they call it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ripall90 said:

Those helmets actually look awesome instead of the harsh half black and white. Also they were talking about the gold strip on the collar. I'd rather have stupid but fun uniforms instead of boring ones. This is why I love the new ATL uniforms and hate the new bengals.

What are you talking about?

• LOL 4

15 hours ago, ripall90 said:

that is kind of a band wagon fallacy. I agree unique does not mean good but neither does copying make something good 

How is it a "bandwagon fallacy" to point out that certain design trends have always worked while others just keep failing? The gradient Jags helmets were ugly as sin and couldn't even be marketspoken into acceptability. The Rams' bone jerseys were a colossal misstep that they've already begun minimizing in favor of the more traditional look.

Meanwhile, people by and large loved the Bengals' rebrand because it didn't embrace :censored:ty gimmicks like gradients or gimmick colors like bone, and just focused on making a good-looking ensemble. There's a reason this rebrand;

spacer.png

...went down so much better than this rebrand;

spacer.png

• Like 9

The Rams have been doing a fast and arguably good job at correcting their missteps from two seasons ago.

We went from seeing this 8 times a year to twice this year, likely to be phased out by next season

spacer.png

To this 8 times a season-

spacer.png

The shade of yellow on the pants could probably be better, but it’s overall an improvement of the set to make this turn

• Like 6

16 hours ago, GriffinM6 said:

And it actually could've been a a salvageable set if that were the case. Alas, they took it way too far. 

That's a cool helmet, but that effect is much easier to pull off when it's two darkish colors rather than black and gold.  

• Like 6

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."