NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

11 hours ago, hormone said:

I see all this talk of WAH (ridiculous if you ask me), can someone explain to me how all these high school and college players manage to do it? I mean, it’s so hot in Miami, the dolphins wear white at 1 pm, yet 24 hours earlier in the same stadium, the hurricanes wore dark green or just had a blackout game.

I'll always defer to the native Floridians when it comes to whether wearing white vs. wearing a color makes a difference when it comes to the heat.

But for the Dolphins, I could very much see heat as being the origins of what is now a tradition of wearing white at home, especially considering how football jerseys in the early '70s were constructed. By comparisons to today's fabric technology, those jerseys were like wearing a weighted blanket.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

I'll always defer to the native Floridians when it comes to whether wearing white vs. wearing a color makes a difference when it comes to the heat.

But for the Dolphins, I could very much see heat as being the origins of what is now a tradition of wearing white at home, especially considering how football jerseys in the early '70s were constructed. By comparisons to today's fabric technology, those jerseys were like wearing a weighted blanket.  

The thing with the Dolphins and Jags though is that they already have a very bright color for their home jerseys. The Bucs, I guess, have a better excuse early in the year because they wear dark red. Hopefully they'll do less WAH next season when the creamsicles return. 

• Like 3

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

13 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

White at home for any team that’s not facing the Cowboys enrages me and is inexcusable regardless of your location. Show off your colors and have some damn pride in your team. 

Do you feel this way about baseball? 
Or hockey and basketball, when it was more standard for WAH?

Maybe, just maybe, teams wear WAH because they just…want to? Crazy thought, I know. 

y’all are crazy, getting “enraged” over what grown men are wearing for their sports games lol

• Like 2
  • Yawn 3

17 minutes ago, HopewellJones said:

Do you feel this way about baseball? 
Or hockey and basketball, when it was more standard for WAH?

Maybe, just maybe, teams wear WAH because they just…want to? Crazy thought, I know. 

y’all are crazy, getting “enraged” over what grown men are wearing for their sports games lol

Baseball, no. Since not every team’s colors work for colored jerseys, white at home is a perfect compromise that I love and think no team should wear anything other than white at home. 

Basketball, I admit it’s always bothered me, but I’m used to it so it doesn’t ruin the game in the same way. One thing I like about the Nike NBA infiltration is that we’re seeing colored jerseys at home more often. I wish they were the primaries instead of the often superfluous city jerseys, but still. 

I will admit I prefer lighter colors at home like the Lakers so the home team is easier to identify, but even if that doesn’t work for your color scheme I still prefer colors at home. 

Hockey switching to colored jerseys at home rocked. 

And yes getting enraged over meaningless details is kinda the point of this forum lol. NFL games do become decently less enjoyable for me if the home team is wearing white. Even if it’s a good game, it’s gonna be constantly bugging me in the back of my mind throughout, thus leading to the enragement. 

It’s such an easy fix, and would benefit my enjoyment greatly, so every team should just do it regardless of what they want. 

• Like 4
  • Yawn 1

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

7 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Well, that settles it.

We are no longer allowed to talk about sports uniforms on a sports uniform forum.

Its been a real fun ride guys. Sad to see it end 🫡 

Lol come on man. 

I even specified it’s not just discussing uniforms. That’s obviously the point of this forum. Just the language people use, like getting ENRAGED that teams wear white at home. Saying :censored: is UNACCEPTABLE, and then even personally insulting the players for their quotes about liking their own uniforms.  I like discussing uniforms, I have positive and negative opinions on different uniforms, but I don’t get like, personally offended by them lol

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

7 minutes ago, HopewellJones said:

I think Carolina’s white uni is actually their best. I don’t mind them wearing it a lot. 

I like it with the silver pants. With white pants, it just doesn't look right to me. In fact I'd rather they got rid of the white pants altogether. 

• Like 3

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 hours ago, NFLfan10 said:

The Jaguars seem to have a different set of rules. When teal was the alternate, they had no issues wearing it twice in the preseason and three more times in the regular season.

Theyre the only two teams who have a significant history of wearing alts in the preseason. Either the Jags got an exception that the Panthers never thought to ask for, or the Panthers *literally* tricked themselves into thinking it counts. Like, who from the league is gonna come down and tell them “hey, uh, we noticed that you guys have stretched three usages of your alternative blue jersey across both the preseason and regular season, and we just just wanna let you know that you actually don’t have to restrict it that way. The preseason doesn’t actually count towards the three uses, guys.” ?

39 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

Baseball, no. Since not every team’s colors work for colored jerseys, white at home is a perfect compromise that I love and think no team should wear anything other than white at home. 

Basketball, I admit it’s always bothered me, but I’m used to it so it doesn’t ruin the game in the same way. One thing I like about the Nike NBA infiltration is that we’re seeing colored jerseys at home more often. I wish they were the primaries instead of the often superfluous city jerseys, but still. 

I will admit I prefer lighter colors at home like the Lakers so the home team is easier to identify, but even if that doesn’t work for your color scheme I still prefer colors at home. 

Hockey switching to colored jerseys at home rocked. 

And yes getting enraged over meaningless details is kinda the point of this forum lol. NFL games do become decently less enjoyable for me if the home team is wearing white. Even if it’s a good game, it’s gonna be constantly bugging me in the back of my mind throughout, thus leading to the enragement. 

It’s such an easy fix, and would benefit my enjoyment greatly, so every team should just do it regardless of what they want. 

So a lot of this is largely based on tradition, and by tradition I mean "What I grew up watching on TV or reading in the paper as a kid."

There generally are fairly banal explanations as to why baseball wears white at home football (at least in the era of TV) generally does not.

Baseball players in the 19th century wore a myriad of colors and frequently had only one uniform. However, since all games were played during the day, white became the preferred default for a variety of reasons: it's cooler than darker colors under the sun, manufacturing became more standardized and thus teams began using similar templates (doesn't that sound familiar), white doesn't show sweat as much, it's easier to identify players in the field against the deep browns and greens and made them stand out from fans, and a little bit of copying since the most well know clubs like the Cubs and Reds wore white at home. Grey only became the standard because it was a color similar to white but that would not show as much dirt from travelling teams unable to find reliable laundry.

By contrast, football never has an issue with cleaning since games are played weekly rather than daily. But Football is a contact sport played in not the best field quality so mud and dirty during the game meaning a white uniform shows dirt, grass, and blood more readily.  With fall weather being significantly cooler, the necessity to limit the sun's harshness was minimal. A lot of teams were also significantly short of cash, leading many to have only one jersey. White jerseys only emerged consistently in the 30's and 40's as a "change" to ensure you could always tell the two apart.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, HopewellJones said:

Lol come on man. 

I even specified it’s not just discussing uniforms. That’s obviously the point of this forum. Just the language people use, like getting ENRAGED that teams wear white at home. Saying :censored: is UNACCEPTABLE, and then even personally insulting the players for their quotes about liking their own uniforms.  I like discussing uniforms, I have positive and negative opinions on different uniforms, but I don’t get like, personally offended by them lol

I get what you're saying, but at the same time I ask: why does it matter? 

The fact that we all gather here at all to discuss sports uniforms in granular detail is already a personal quirk we all choose to live with. That the discourse ranges from casual to passionate to quasi-rage should just be par for the course in this universe we live in. It's the nature of the beast, so to speak.

But before you called out message boarders for message boarding, you made a point that I agree with: It's possible that a team like the Dolphins wears white at home just because they want to, regardless of the temperature. Sometimes these decisions are as simple as that. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

But before you called out message boarders for message boarding, you made a point that I agree with: It's possible that at team like the Dolphins wear white at home just because they want to, regardless of the temperature. Sometimes these decisions are as simple as that. 

"It's our preference" is legitimate enough for Miami, Dallas, and Washington to historically wear white at home. I guess Tampa Bay too.

Carolina joined that group in recent years and I hate it. Both of their blue and black sets (over grey pants, of course) are superior and Carolina was once a proud team that nailed its branding right out of the gate, both timeless and classic at the same time. Now? Who the hell knows; they look collegiate and that's definitely not a compliment.

NFL football uniform design used to be so elegant in its simplicity. Now you've got teams like the Chargers who became the Oregon Ducks when we all weren't looking, the Commanders being god knows what, and all of these teams with terrible new helmets because they can.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

12 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

So a lot of this is largely based on tradition, and by tradition I mean "What I grew up watching on TV or reading in the paper as a kid."

There generally are fairly banal explanations as to why baseball wears white at home football (at least in the era of TV) generally does not.

Baseball players in the 19th century wore a myriad of colors and frequently had only one uniform. However, since all games were played during the day, white became the preferred default for a variety of reasons: it's cooler than darker colors under the sun, manufacturing became more standardized and thus teams began using similar templates (doesn't that sound familiar), white doesn't show sweat as much, it's easier to identify players in the field against the deep browns and greens and made them stand out from fans, and a little bit of copying since the most well know clubs like the Cubs and Reds wore white at home. Grey only became the standard because it was a color similar to white but that would not show as much dirt from travelling teams unable to find reliable laundry.

By contrast, football never has an issue with cleaning since games are played weekly rather than daily. But Football is a contact sport played in not the best field quality so mud and dirty during the game meaning a white uniform shows dirt, grass, and blood more readily.  With fall weather being significantly cooler, the necessity to limit the sun's harshness was minimal. A lot of teams were also significantly short of cash, leading many to have only one jersey. White jerseys only emerged consistently in the 30's and 40's as a "change" to ensure you could always tell the two apart.

The white jersey in gridiron football at the time served the same purpose as it did for football across the atlantic. It was the club's choice to pick a primary jersey color and some would choose white like the bears of the 1930s. White as an de facto and mandated away color was a result to optimize contrast on black and white television screens.